Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedometer - off 6 mph at 55 mph - '79 Super
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Speedometer - off 6 mph at 55 mph - '79 Super Reply with quote

Been working on the 'ole girl lately and have been making way !

Noticed that the speedo is not working accurately. When the speedo shows 55 mph, I am actually doing 61 - a 6 mph difference as per GPS and another car, side-by-side. At lower speeds, the difference is less - at 30 mph, it is more like 2-3 mph off.

I have newer tires - 165 R 15.

The speedo is original- the one where its max speed shows as 85 mph.

Any ideas what would cause this ?
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the speedometer is original? I don't think I've ever seen a VW speedometer top out at 85.

Could it be possible your cable is slipping a little at either end? Check both to see that they are intact, and that your grease cap in the wheel also has a squared hole to accept it.

Looks like you have stock size tires so that rules out the most obvious, assuming that the tires stayed the same through '79.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
:2gunfire: F-U-M-P!
~"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken." ~The Boss
Please excuse any typos as my iPhone doesn't speak English very well. 
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
zombiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sometimes caused by a speedometer cable rubbing or the speedometer needle rubbing. take the speedometer cable off ad spray some grease lightning or such down the cable a bit. I prefer graphite but thats me. Also take the speedometer apart there are instructions on here somewhere as how to do it. Do not remove needle from the speedometer face. Take some 3 in 1 sewing oil and lubricate the arm that attaches to the speed needle. it is turned by a large magned. as it turns is rotates the metal disc. which turns the arm the needle is connected to. Lubricate all the parts that hols the needle arm. this might help.

Also you can try putting the guage on its back so the speed face is facing up remove the glass / plastic face and drop grease right behind the needle to seep down the arm. This is a simpler way but not guaranteed to do the same job.

these instructions are not a guaranteed fix but are a good shot. its helped me in the past. Hope this helps!
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely original speedo. I have NEVER seen one either that tops out at 85 mph... I have owned this car since '88 and when the speedo cable broke back then, all that red glue like material on the speedo connections that acts as an indicator that says, 'someones been here' , were not touched.

I am not eager to take it part --- yet. Only because I have never seen another 85 mph speedo. If I had a spare one, I'd take that apart first, just to see what I'm doing. I'd hate like hell to "F" up and break this...

Note: My brother has a '78 vert ( mine's a '79 vert ) and his goes to 100 mph . ?

I should buy a 100 mph speedo just to see how it comes apart, operates and gets back together again.

I know the hub / wheel / 'square' is good. But, I will take a look at the other connections.

Where can I find that repair/maintenance info ? Pictures always help...
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled this with regard to '79 VW's:

On September 1, 1979, in a rulemaking that also regulated speedometer and odometer accuracy, the NHTSA required speedometers to have special emphasis on the number 55 and a maximum speed of 85 mph. However, on October 22, 1981, the NHTSA proposed eliminating speedometer and odometer rules because they were "unlikely to yield significant safety benefits" and "[a] highlighted '55' on a speedometer scale adds little to the information provided to the driver by a roadside speed limit sign." (While odometer accuracy also has an economic benefit--more accurate sales of cars--the NHTSA's rules must have a clear safety benefit to be valid
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting on that legislation. I must miss these things by never having anything to do with cars that new.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speedo rebuild was posted by Glutamodo - try searcing - I am too pooped to dig for you, but its not that hard. You dont need to tear it way down - just get the face off and you can pull the guts out pretty easily. Like was said - a little 3-n-1 and grease your cable. By the way, is the needle "pulsing" at all? Thats another symptom of it needing attention.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Needle is rock steady.
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceck out this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179776

I'm pretty certain this one will detail everything you need to know. Andy is top-notch in this area and lays it all out very well, and with great pictures.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx.

I read it all. I will be taking the speedo out soon to check out the dealio. I've come to realize that I have a VERY RARE speedo.

Looks like it was made for a very small bit time of late 1979 - that's it.

So, I do not want to screw it up.

I hope those gears are OK. I will lube first and see what happens.

" I'll be back... "
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted, just lube the cable [use graphite], that may solve your issue. If there is anything that just slightly binds up the cable, it'll slow the speed.

-jeffrey
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abl1111 wrote:
Thx.

I read it all. I will be taking the speedo out soon to check out the dealio. I've come to realize that I have a VERY RARE speedo.

Looks like it was made for a very small bit time of late 1979 - that's it.

So, I do not want to screw it up.

I hope those gears are OK. I will lube first and see what happens.

" I'll be back... "
Perhaps do what you suggested before and buy a second one. In the classifieds here and on EBay I have run into many speedometers for sale. You could buy one that is the same year or very close, maybe even save some cash by buying one that already doesn't work. Use that as your practice run to familiarize yourself with what's what and what's involved. It's good to develop a method or process before diving into your original rarity.

Mine suffers only fr bouncy needle syndrome. So far lubing the cable only has not bore fruit for me.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure before you go to all that work on the speedo, is that you aren't by chance running an odd size tire on the car? That can throw off the speedo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: