Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuse box in a 6v '55 Oval
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J. Chesham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Fuse box in a 6v '55 Oval Reply with quote

During full body off resto the wiring loom was replaced and i kept the car as 6v. We seem to regularly have issues with the lights which usually results in a blown fuse, bulbs usually intact.
I have the original 4 x fuse box complete with paper insert but this is in German! I currently have fuses from right to left of red,red,white ,white. Its the white one second from left that seems to blow. All wiring has been checked, earthed etc properly.
I bought a NOS fuse box in order to obtain the missing lid for mine and this one came with white,white,white,blue fuses............

Does anyone know which fuses i should have in a 6v 4x fuse box please? Is the problem that some of them aren't man enough and i need bigger ones?

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks guys.
Jacqui
caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of my fuse box paper in English

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Samba also has these great diagrams that helped me out

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_toaug55.jpg

I'm 99% sure that there is a small fuse box next to the driver fender next to the gas tank. It should have two fuses for the head lights.

When you say your having a problem, does the fuse hold for a while then blow?? Check the ignition, headlight switch, foot switch, and the battery connection for any problems.

Last edited by caseydenise on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note : is your '55 a semaphore car or bullet turn signals? regardless, there should be no red 16 amp fuses in any '55 fuse boxes, white 8 amp only, also only the small two fuse headlight box next to the gas tank has a lid, the headlight fuses are for high beam only, low beam headlights have no fuse, the 4 fuse box has no lid, observe the lack of hole in paper tags, also note that if you need a red or BLUE fuse (!) you have electrical problems, blue is 25 amp!, what kind of headlights are you running, Euro bulb and reflectors are 35 watt each bulbs, I think early 6V sealed beams should be 35-40 watts, maybe you have an overly powerful headlight bulb(s) white 8 amp fuses are plenty if wiring, switches, are short free,
1955 semaphore harness is same as 1954:

There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
Motorhead55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ABSOLUTE most important thing for our old 6volt VWs is GOOD, CLEAN connections and switch contacts. Bad or dirty connections cause higher amp draw. The fuse panel spring ears are riveted to the square posts on the back side of the fuse panel. If you can twist the square screw post any then you will have a weak connection at that fuse. A dirty contact in the high/low beam switch can cause dim headlights. Feel with your hand or fingers around the various switches and connections while the load is turned on. If any are warm or hot to the touch then there is the area of high resistance or a poor connection.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus solder all the riveted connections in the fuse boxes, and the headlight switch makes a huge difference. See the type2.com library for the headlight switch repair article there.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fuse box in a 6v '55 Oval Reply with quote

J. Chesham wrote:

Does anyone know which fuses i should have in a 6v 4x fuse box please?

Your fuses should all be white, 8 amp. Blowing a fuse in this case has nothing to do with the size of the fuse, but they are doing their job because you have a problem somewhere and the fuses are keeping your new wiring harness from becoming melted goo.
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuse box in a 6v '55 Oval Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
J. Chesham wrote:

Your fuses should all be white, 8 amp. Blowing a fuse in this case has nothing to do with the size of the fuse, but they are doing their job because you have a problem somewhere and the fuses are keeping your new wiring harness from becoming melted goo.
is this the same for 12 volt cars? White 8 amp fuses? Anyone?? Thanks
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuse box in a 6v '55 Oval Reply with quote

johnny chingas wrote:
Snort wrote:
J. Chesham wrote:

is this the same for 12 volt cars? White 8 amp fuses? Anyone?? Thanks

For 12V, you need half the size on the fuses, because it only use half the current.

That was the teory.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1968 owner manual with 12 volt system shows VW still used the 8 Amp fuses.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: