Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to Switzerland and have some questions?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: New to Switzerland and have some questions? Reply with quote

I just moved to Basel Switzerland from the USA and would like to know if there is any VW nuts here in Basel? What are the regulations to what you can or can not do to your VW here in Switzerland, such as lowering, naroowed beams, rust, lights...e.t.c... Hope someone can answeer some of thesse questions and shed some light on this stuff for me. I am still looking for a VW since I sould all mine before I moved here. Thanks for any info in advance.

Glenn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi glenn. there are plenty VW nuts all over swissland and good cars/vans are not cheap.

there are ways and means to getting modded cars street legal. again this is not cheap.

some ads and infos on clubs etc. here:

http://www.bugbus.net/

if you're ever round my way give us a call. Idea
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there many clubs or vw gatherings/shows in this area? I am currently trying to find a job so I can buy a VW soon. I am getting that itch to build something like I had in the USA. I need to find out more information on what is legal to do or not to do for a vehicle to pass swiss inspection? Can a car be rusty with good mechanics? or no rust? Narrlwed beam with shocks or not? I have lots of questions that need answers before I buy something. I already have found a few split bugs and a barndoor. What is your number and maybe we could meet up sometime. Would like to meet some vw people and maybe see what the vw crowd is doing to their vw's over here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see the links here for a good overview :

http://www.cagero.com/newsite/links.asp

and follow links from those sites too.

i'm just an average mostly bus guy and don't get into all that extreme stuff you talk about but there are plenty who do.

i don't go to as many meets as i used to and i never heard of any shows in basel, there's a french swop meet in montbelliard a coupla times a year. hows your french? and your german for that matter! Laughing

here's a date for your diary:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rusty cars is not an issue in switzerland, they just don't have any............ Razz

you sound pretty ambitious talking about barndoors and split bugs. do you have facilities to store and work on cars?

good luck with getting a job, hopefully you have a permit?

if you want you can call me on 079 243 08 33 , i generally don't answer phones before 1 o'clock in the afternoon. Idea
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 weeks and all quiet.

Razz
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

June 2nd - 3rd meeting in Frauenfeld which is not too far:
http://veedubclub.blogspot.com/p/6-vw-classic-frauenfeld.html

And being close to Germany you could also have an eye on meetings there:

August 3rd - 5th meeting in Ludwigsburg
http://www.kaeferclub-ludwigsburg.de/kaefertreffen.html
Tintop73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day................They will come Very Happy
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is the OP still in switzerland and getting on with anything interesting? Question

i just moved house and have no tel. or internet till the 18th, i'm managing to log on thru' some neighbour's wireless connection but only sometimes. Wink

and my bay westie just sailed thru' inspection today. Cool
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still here in Basel. Starting school (German lessons) Monday. Still no work yet.

I keep searching for vw's everywhere I go, but untill I get a job to make that money, everything I have found is going to stay right where they are.

I have been to a old timer museum in France and that was really cool. They have a Mercedes in there that was a Porsche design, looks like a beetle.

I can not wait to see what the vw scene is like here.... so bring on the warm weather and hope to see some vw's soon.

If anyone would like feel free to put up some pics of your vw's and or pics of some of the shows that you might have attended here or Germany, France.
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are more than enough pictures in all the links i gave you already. Idea

here's my ghia in it's new home, i drove it over on friday evening. Smile

and here's a swop meet date for you on the 5th may, a pleasant journey along the jura back roads from basle:

http://www.volkswrecksmuseum.com/ Cool
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so are ya gonna make it to the volkswrecks trip or are ye still so poor that it's too far by 100 miles?

i'm not making a 100 mile detour to collect ya.
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
so are ya gonna make it to the volkswrecks trip or are ye still so poor that it's too far by 100 miles?

i'm not making a 100 mile detour to collect ya.

I am not going to make this one. It is mine and my wifes Birthdays that weekend.

At the end of June we will be going to Munich, Berlin and Wolfsburg!! I will be going to the VW Museum. Very excited about that. Any other things I should see while we are in any of those places?
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the best for yer birthdays then.

dunno if i'll go either, see what the weather's like.

if i was going to bavaria i'd be heading for the FRAMUS museum. but @€10 to get in maybe i'd just look at it with a cold one in the biergarten across the street. Razz

tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back from my honeymoon. Went to Munich, Berlin and Wolfsburg. Loved the museum in Wolfsburg. They had a 43 split. schwimmwagen,kubel, kommanderwagen, rometesch, 3 barndoors and some awesome prototype vw's....many other numerous vehicles to mention. I am sure all these can be seen here in the gallery so I will not post any pics. If you have not gone I would highly suggest checking it out. 9 euro's to get in, so inexpensive and you can get right up on the cars too, just don't touch them!! Now I just need to hit some local VW shows.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that it seems a bit surprising to me that a recent transplant with limited language skills an money is able to scout out several split bugs and barndoors that have eluded locals. How did you do that? Shocked
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
I have to admit that it seems a bit surprising to me that a recent transplant with limited language skills an money is able to scout out several split bugs and barndoors that have eluded locals. How did you do that? Shocked

When I borrow my Father In-laws car I look everywhere I drive, up and down the streets, fields, barns.... You don't need to know the language to find a Volkswagen, just a good set of eyes.

My new Family has lived here all their lives so I have done more sight seeing than one can imagine. My brother In-law in France helped me find the barndoor and it was by accident. We were going sledding that day with his son.

Plus there is the power of the Internet. Never hurts to post a WANTED AD on The Samba either. I have had 2 replies from mine and the were even in English.

Not everyone here Speaks Deutsch FYI.... but it does not hurt to take some Deutsch lessons though.
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you bought the barndoor and the bretzelkäfers for peanuts but still don't have a place to put them cos ya can't speaka da lingo or what? Razz

take yer time answering, i'm off to the atlantic coast for a coupla weeks. Idea
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I have bought nothing. Wish I could, but still no job. My German is getting better ans getting ready to go back to school to take some more classes. I still like to look and hunt when I am out and about though.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Switzerland and have some questions? Reply with quote

tattoo_5678 wrote:
I just moved to Basel Switzerland from the USA... What are the regulations to what you can or can not do to your VW here in Switzerland, such as lowering, naroowed beams, rust, lights...e.t.c... I am still looking for a VW since I sould all mine before I moved here.

Glenn.
So you are interested in doing expensive mods, but you can't afford to purchase any of the many rare cars that you have found? Perhaps if you could flip one or two or three very quickly for a modest profit and combine those $$$ with the money that you made selling off your collection before you moved, you could build the car of your dreams and do all of the modifications that you desire.
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacks,

I was asking those questions because I just moved to Switzerland and things are different here in Europe than in the USA.

So it sure would be nice to know what is legal or not as far as car modifiacations go., or atleast what I might be able to get away with such as bolt on/bolt off mods. after MFK is complete.

Cars can only be so low here, exhaust can only be so loud here e.t.c...... So again it would be nice to know this stuff before it gets done to anything I purchase and find out it won't pass the MFK.

In the US where I used to live my 60 did not have to have a State inspection/MFK.

From what I have been told my 60 here in Switzerland would not even pass a MFK cause it had no front shocks. (6 inch narrowed beam) and other little mods or things that did not work....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: