Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All About my Raby Suby--74 Westy to Jake
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennybench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: All About my Raby Suby--74 Westy to Jake Reply with quote

1974 Westy on the way to Jake for Subaru engine and transmission transplants. More to follow……

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

By angelobenito at 2012-02-23

Link

Last edited by kennybench on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
levi20AE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go! Will be watching this thread for sure.
dwdelano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice looking bus Kenny! I'm about to order all the CS stuff from Jake for my '73, but I'm really curious about the Subaru conversion! What kind of timeline did he give you? i.e. when do you expect it back? Keep us posted please on this.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwdelano wrote:
Wow, nice looking bus Kenny! I'm about to order all the CS stuff from Jake for my '73, but I'm really curious about the Subaru conversion! What kind of timeline did he give you? i.e. when do you expect it back? Keep us posted please on this.

Ken will receive his Bus back in the summer... His transaxle is ready to leave Australia now and the engine is about 3 weeks from assembly.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake - what is the cost of a Subaru conversion and can it be done on an automatic ?
rustybutterknife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll definitely need a new clutch kit after climbing that trailer. Smile
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansie wrote:
Jake - what is the cost of a Subaru conversion and can it be done on an automatic ?

It could be done to an auto Bus.
What Ken is going with is our full meal deal to include Suby tranny with reversed ring and pinion.. We aren't just slapping a use engine in the Bus like others, we have completely torn down, reconstructed and reconfigured the engine for the heavy bus application.

It is far from cheap.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, going whole hog on that custom of a project....

im guessing you could buy a base model 2012 Subaru Impreza with zero miles for roughly the same amount of coin ($18k)

but before everyone get's their panties in a bunch (who could afford such crazyness?) remember that it's important to the overall market that the balls to the walls builders do their thing, because while most will not be doing the same, the knowledge learned from them does trickle down to all levels of builders and scopes of projects.

the future of all old cars staying on the road is advances in technology, for those of us who hope to continue restoring and driving our vintage vehicles for the rest of our lives.

to the OP - congrats on the project. I can't wait to see how it progresses!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chris for those words. It is so true. It's not just the VW crowd following that avenue. Look at the domestic crowd installing LS gm engines and supporting systems into old cars.
Look forward to the completion with envy. Semper Fi, Jake.
Bill
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
yea, going whole hog on that custom of a project....

im guessing you could buy a base model 2012 Subaru Impreza with zero miles for roughly the same amount of coin ($18k)

but before everyone get's their panties in a bunch (who could afford such crazyness?) remember that it's important to the overall market that the balls to the walls builders do their thing, because while most will not be doing the same, the knowledge learned from them does trickle down to all levels of builders and scopes of projects.

the future of all old cars staying on the road is advances in technology, for those of us who hope to continue restoring and driving our vintage vehicles for the rest of our lives.

to the OP - congrats on the project. I can't wait to see how it progresses!

Our goal is to create a standardized package t support bolt in Suby engines and sub-systems to support them.

Just like I have done with the aircooled engine, it will take years of application before we are able to offer an application specific package thats painless to install for the DIY'r.

We are not using the Suby platform because it is cheaper than the properly configured and applied aircooled engine, we are doing it because the engine has a brighter future over the next couple of decades when compared to the aircooled engine.

Our air-cooled engine division is continuing to march forward with development and engine manufacturing, the Suby division doesn't even share the same work areas here. It is possible to develop and create Porsche engines spanning from 1950-2011, ACVW engines based on the Type 4 platform and Suby engines all on the same piece of property; thats why we have 3 separate buildings and one of them is two stories high Smile
Inane Cathode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious with what model year(s) subaru's you are using engines from (or bought crate, whatever). Are you doing all the electrical stuff in house?
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inane Cathode wrote:
I'd be curious with what model year(s) subaru's you are using engines from (or bought crate, whatever).

I'll explain using Ken's engine...
I sourced a 2007 model year engine complete with DBW throttle, ECU, wire harness and all other ancillaries. The engine had 24,000 miles since new and was a SOHC EJ 25. I chose the SOHC engine because it fits the goals I have for camshaft optimization for the Bus application better than the DOHC and the engines make more torque than the DOHC by design. The intake ports are a tad smaller, making for a high speed charge.

BUT we aren't stopping there.. The engine is being completely reconstructed with our own components from the ground up. The fact that it had 24K miles simply makes it a better foundation to start with, I never plan on just slapping used engines in these conversion applications, because everything we build is intended to have its own personality and character that we develop it to have.

We have altered the CR, altered camshaft profiles, altered cylinder head port profiles and etc to compliment the engine in a heavy application, not a lightweight touring car like the factory Suby. The power band has been moved LOWER to help increase drivability.

Basically what Ken has purchased is a modern, 4 valve, water-cooled version of my iconic "Camper Special" and has coupled that to a specially geared Subaru transaxle with reversed ring and pinion.

I have created our own "crate engine".

So, from the main bearings out the engine will be manipulated in some way.

Quote:
Are you doing all the electrical stuff in house?

We are doing EVERYTHING in house with the exception of the cylinder head work and the Subarugears transaxle. The only way that we are able to maintain our quality is for everything to be carried out at our facility sitting atop a mountain in the middle of no where.

I have been fully documenting the entire build thus far and other than a few select pics I plan on sharing everything possible on our forums and I'll post some here as well. Our Subaru website is ready to go live as soon as I decide to do so, but we are so busy now that we can't stand any more work so its a waste to release it when things are this wound up.

Here are a few pics so far.

Here the engine is the way that it arrived from my source with 24K miles and 100% complete

Here is the exhaust system design. We will use smaller ID primaries (these are 1-7/8") for the bus version and will have to move two pipes to optimize it for Ken's Bus. We will build Ken's exhaust in Ken's bus and use it as the TII developmental platform for the system.
Here it is pictured as a mock up for my 300HP N/A engine- JR28.

Welcome to the Dark Side....

Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken's Westy showed up today... Its a great bus but WOW the engine is tired!!

I'll post some video and pics in a few days.. The old drivetrain comes out next week and then things get interesting inside the heart of the "JR25" Smile
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this conversion going to be worth more than the actual bus? Sounds like it will be real cool especialy if I had that kind of money (that Im sure it will cost) to throw around.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
So is this conversion going to be worth more than the actual bus? Sounds like it will be real cool especialy if I had that kind of money (that Im sure it will cost) to throw around.

come ride in mine when its done. Cool I'll be doing it on the cheap(er)
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep us posted with pictures!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
notchboy wrote:

come ride in mine when its done. Cool I'll be doing it on the cheap(er)

Keep us updated on your build. Always good to show that these projects can be done without mortgaging the house. Some people think because they spend more to by a designer pair of jeans they are getting the best quality. Most times your just buying a name. And if that vendor has protection in place from you being able to read the fine print you may just get stuck with pants made in a sweat factory and of no better quality than you would get at Walmart.
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens to the Type 4 engine when it's pulled?
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:

Keep us updated on your build. Always good to show that these projects can be done without mortgaging the house. Some people think because they spend more to by a designer pair of jeans they are getting the best quality. Most times your just buying a name. And if that vendor has protection in place from you being able to read the fine print you may just get stuck with pants made in a sweat factory and of no better quality than you would get at Walmart.

Exactly. I have less than $3k in my Ecotec swap, and so far it's going great. No it's not a show winning conversion, but I do work to a level that I feel proud to say that "yes, I built this". It's not hacked together by any means.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my engine dies i plan to add something similar to this

http://bostig.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=261&Itemid=230 (but this is for vanagons, hope jake raby has a kit like this Pray )

And go with the Ford Zetec engine Razz
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: