Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All About my Raby Suby--74 Westy to Jake
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
Cost is really subjective here. Anyone that understands the work done in most of Jake's pics will know the time and thought that went into the creation. I'm happy with what I've done to my bus so far but if I had to pay myself even at 25.00 an hour (hillbilly shop rate) I'd have over 18k in it. I think the OP is getting a deal. The ability to drive a 40+ year old time machine effortlessly anywhere is really all any of us want, be it aircooled or otherwise. There comes a time in life when you're ready to make memories....those memories shouldn't be ruined by mechanical ills. In the end it's only money.

So, drop the negativity folks! "Quit hatin' " sit back, shut up, and pass the popcorn.

Its funny... I can post things in other places on the web and no one even mentions cost. They are captivated by the outrageously original concepts and application so much that the cost is secondary. Here within just a matter of minutes cost pops up and people start getting all pissy for some reason. I received 3 emails last night about this thread- Totally amazing.

I recently had my interior in my 356 Outlaw completed.. When I took it to my interior guy I knew that it would come back amazing, but he seriously exceeded my expectations with what he dreamed up and applied. I gave him free reign and never asked what it would cost, but I have to say I was nervous until I received the bill.. I am just as cost conscious as the next guy and I'll pinch pennies everywhere just so I have more to spend on the things I am passionate about- Cars and Guns. You won't live forever and you can't take it with you, so you may as well have fun while you can.

What he charged was more than fair for the 150 hours that it took him to get this result.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dogs allowed in that car! Razz
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see the results of this either. As I stated very early on in this thread, this is the technology that will likely allow most vintage auto lovers to be able to continue driving their vehicles well into the future.

A hacked up bus is just that, but a well thought out advancement of it's abilities will keep it on the road much further into the future. Possibly further than even a bone stock restoration may be capable of.

There's more bitching about the bitching about the cost than actual bitching about the cost, as usual.
No thread should ever vanish, as a message board is the 'business' of all who are members of that forum.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
Cost is really subjective here. Anyone that understands the work done in most of Jake's pics will know the time and thought that went into the creation. I'm happy with what I've done to my bus so far but if I had to pay myself even at 25.00 an hour (hillbilly shop rate) I'd have over 18k in it. I think the OP is getting a deal. The ability to drive a 40+ year old time machine effortlessly anywhere is really all any of us want, be it aircooled or otherwise. There comes a time in life when you're ready to make memories....those memories shouldn't be ruined by mechanical ills. In the end it's only money.

So, drop the negativity folks! "Quit hatin' " sit back, shut up, and pass the popcorn.

those are what make the trip fun! i think that its not the destination thats the goal, its the trip their that makes the REAL memories. for example....i just paid 128 bucks for a red bucket. why? cause i got stuck in the mud doing a U turn to go get it. would i care as much about the bucket today if i had just walked back and got it? heck no....its those mistakes that truely make the trip worth it....and that was the best part of my trip too! i drove 2k miles, and the best part was being STUCK.... Laughing

i also broke down right before i got stuck, which was the second best part Razz

maybe im just a weird VW bus owner or something....

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pozz907420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one word to Op and Raby...jealous Very Happy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
chazz79 wrote:

those are what make the trip fun! i think that its not the destination thats the goal, its the trip their that makes the REAL memories. for example....i just paid 128 bucks for a red bucket. why? cause i got stuck in the mud doing a U turn to go get it. would i care as much about the bucket today if i had just walked back and got it? heck no....its those mistakes that truely make the trip worth it....and that was the best part of my trip too! i drove 2k miles, and the best part was being STUCK.... Laughing

Stuart Im going to slap you around when I meet you Rolling Eyes Thats like saying the best part about me braking my leg was the part where I slipped and heard it snap. Laughing

Yes you are a weird bus owner.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BumbleBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennybench wrote:
We wanted a reliable, powerful motor to climb the mountains which we must cross to get anywhere in our state.

Yeah x2... eagerly following this thread as someday I want to turn my bay into a billy goat so I can explore many more of the awesome places to camp in Montana where I live.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
chazz79 wrote:

Stuart Im going to slap you around when I meet you Rolling Eyes Thats like saying the best part about me braking my leg was the part where I slipped and heard it snap. Laughing

Yes you are a weird bus owner.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

but in a bus, life is all about the adventure....Razz

braking your leg had its bonuses, im sure. maybe less bonus than negatives, but it had its bonuses....

like free service you dont normally get from the girl for food and such....Wink Laughing

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like adventure... But I don't call being broken down on the side of the road an adventure I want to participate in.

Ken's old engine dynode today at 36HP to the rear wheels with an astonishing 57 lb/ft of torque. The engine and trans are now stripped out and the process is underway. Pics and a dyno graph later this evening.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
I like adventure... But I don't call being broken down on the side of the road an adventure I want to participate in.

Ken's old engine dynode today at 36HP to the rear wheels with an astonishing 57 lb/ft of torque. The engine and trans are now stripped out and the process is underway. Pics and a dyno graph later this evening.

but your a mech....so it shouldnt be a big issue, because the big ones always have big signs before they go out, and the small ones are simple and quick fixes (like a bad coil or similar), and therefor leave you on the side of the road for what, like 30 mins? Razz

i guess im just wierd...but my bus rarely breaks down as it is...so maybe its just fun cause it rarely happens...Very Happy Laughing

206-841-7324
[email protected]
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36HP pushing a westy loaded up with camping equipment and humans sounds PAINFUL

no wonder he wanted Suby power, rooter to the tooter!
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:

but your a mech....so it shouldnt be a big issue, because the big ones always have big signs before they go out, and the small ones are simple and quick fixes (like a bad coil or similar), and therefor leave you on the side of the road for what, like 30 mins? Razz

i guess im just wierd...but my bus rarely breaks down as it is...so maybe its just fun cause it rarely happens...Very Happy Laughing

Its like going to the race track and watching everyone work on their cars all weekend.. We show up, unload, race and leave.. Just like going to a rifle range with a weapon thats already dialed in on kill and shooting a sub-MOA group while the other clowns are just trying to sight in their rifles.

I build things once, carry out maintenance and just drive.

Video of the painful chassis dyno session is coming later this evening...
Heliconman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess im just wierd...but my bus rarely breaks down as it is...so maybe its just fun cause it rarely happens...Very Happy Laughing[/quote]

Its like going to the race track and watching everyone work on their cars all weekend.. We show up, unload, race and leave.. Just like going to a rifle range with a weapon thats already dialed in on kill and shooting a sub-MOA group while the other clowns are just trying to sight in their rifles.

I build things once, carry out maintenance and just drive.

Video of the painful chassis dyno session is coming later this evening...[/quote]

Exactly!
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call breakdowns exciting at all. I'm a technician too so the expectation is that whatever vehicle we take will get us there. Breaking down anywhere would be a huge pride shot.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I wouldn't call breakdowns exciting at all. I'm a technician too so the expectation is that whatever vehicle we take will get us there. Breaking down anywhere would be a huge pride shot.

I had my first event where I found myself on the side of the road broken down in an ACVW, unable to repair the issue with some tools on the side of the road in 2010. Thats when I broke the first of three rocker arms on my Wife's Vert engine because they were a sub-standard design. Luckily I never installed any of these on customers engines as I was using this car to test them when they started failing at 7,700 miles. Its a roller cammed engine, so some degree of insanity is to be expected, but not breaking three exhaust rockers in 4,000 miles. Till that day I had never loaded an AVW or Porsche that I had built from scratch onto a tow truck.
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:

brainwaves man. on this and your previous post.

I agree, its not like I or any of us are thinking Jake is taking people for a ride here -- the rep and the satisfaction of his customers speaks for itself pretty much.

What I'm saying is that, there are generally two camps on this forum, but over a spectrum obviously, between those who are mechanically inclined and do pretty much everything themselves, and those that are too busy, not learned, or just lazy with extra cash who can afford to have someone else create their vision.

For those in the mechanically inclined camp, the cost of admission goes down considerably.

I paid $100 on CL for a complete set up from a donor car that had a leaking head gasket. the exhaust, engine, wiring, computer, relays, ecm, intake air box and sensors as well as an entire box of related/optional odds and ends. the radiator, fans, and associated plumbing, all the coolant hoses and tanks, the whole enchilada. Even with the 500 I plan on spending for the adapter (if anyone knows of a cheaper one I'm all ears) and $600 budgeted for additional quality japanese parts (timing belts, pulleys, seals, headgaskets and basically a top end reseal) I'm still all in for less than the cost OF JUST THE LONG BLOCK on a bone stock t4 rocking re-used avp heads. its just not even a question why this makes sense.

As far as my plan goes, I decided the slickest route was the new zealanders/aussies who crammed a 3.0 v6 in the back of a bay (which they accomplished with no cutting). They're cooling it with a pair of gremlin sized radiators in series, with one stock fan each from the pair of stockers (they conveniently have a square steel housing with mounting holes around the perimeter) on each side of the engine bay. They were sourced from a honda civic, so shouldn't be too hard or expensive to get a hold of. my backup is a pair of large motorcycle radiators, perhaps from a goldwing or something. Either way, with the stock fans behind them and located so they get the cooling air from the rear scoops, it should run fine. the aussie version is a 6 and its been running well according to them. My little 2.2 4 banger should be very robust with that set up.

this way theres not a ton of hoses hanging down and floating around the underbelly, no radiator underneath to somehow cool or get hurt, the engine is not in danger of being the high point in the system (a headgasket killer) and its completely stealth. nobody will be able to tell until I goose it at the light.

thread to come!
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, the engine that I used for the base of my current JR28 thats going in The Bluebonic Plague II came off Craigslist FOR FREE!

After all the development and testing that has gone into it, I still have less in the engine (WITH NICKIES!) than you could build a proper 1776cc T1 for.

The days of the DIY'r have changed.. The demographic of the ACVW owner also changed, but few people have realized that within this industry.
TGOT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
Quote:
where are you putting the Radiator (s) ?

You'll see..

Despite my excitement over the rest of this process THIS IS WHAT IS KILLING ME. I know its going to be in a good, protected, and well thought out spot for 100 reasons and I cannot wait to see what magic is worked with the (my) biggest problem to a water cooled conversion.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGOT wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:
Quote:
where are you putting the Radiator (s) ?

You'll see..

Despite my excitement over the rest of this process THIS IS WHAT IS KILLING ME. I know its going to be in a good, protected, and well thought out spot for 100 reasons and I cannot wait to see what magic is worked with the (my) biggest problem to a water cooled conversion.

I still haven't decided if I am going to install my Integrated Cooling System yet.. If I do, you will be scratching your head heavily!
TGOT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You enjoy dishing out the agony of anticipation. You sadist! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: