Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 1965 Beetle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shanks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Hello,

New to the forums here. Just picked up a 1965 beetle in great condition after 25 years with no VW. My first car was a 1968 beetle that I rebuilt from the ground up. Sold that and bought a 1966 bus. Sold that and have been looking for the right one since...

Here she is.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Researching the VIN shows that she was built in January 1965. I'm having trouble with the engine number. The number on the case has a VW logo then H5289066. In the tech pages I see that for that month the engine number should be 9 289 000. Could this be the original case?
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

That's a beauty! H5289066 is approximately mid year 1968 1500cc block. However it was probably rebuilt to 1600cc at some point. That fuel filter needs to be moved out of the engine bay. You should also safety wire the fuel line to the carburetor. From the clamp to the carb. The fittings have a bad habit of pulling out and the result is a fire! The air cleaner has a flat spot on the front that should be parallel to the fan shroud so that instead of pointing straight to the left, the air intake for it is more at 8:30. It also looks like the top of the air cleaner is not seated in the bottom. The clips should clip over that lip on the top. That appears to be an 009 mechanical advance distributor. It might have a hesitation with that carburetor. I'm assuming a 34pict? There are a few guys on here that rebuild the vacuum advance distributors and they make a huge difference in drive-ability. Other than that a beautiful car. And welcome to the Samba!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483

Last edited by flyboy161 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

welcome to the Samba .Nice car . Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
shanks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks flyboy! I'm told by the previous owner that it is a 1500cc. I've seen some posts about the fuel filter. Where should it be moved to? I've seen the safety wire stuff too. I'll do it. I'll check the air cleaner too.

I had the ambition to drive her from Reno to Denver but only made it 300 miles. Ran out of gas and then it wouldn't start. Came back with a trailer to bring her home. It will start now but runs really rough. I'm thinking fouled plugs, or dirt in fuel line. Anything else I should check?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Best places for the fuel filter is under the gas tank or next to the trans where the fuel hard line exits the left frame horn. Your fuel filter is kinda dirty so while you have it off to relocate it to it's new home might as well install a new one.
One thing to check on your engine is the idle jet. It might be what's causing your engine to run rough after running out of gas on your trip. It will be on the left side of the carb with a wire attached to it. Pull it and spray some carb cleaner in it. Then hit it with some compressed air to make sure it's clean.
Couple of other things on your engine. There are plastic press in spark plug wire supports that fit into the fan shroud. Also on the right side heat riser to the intake manifold there is a piece of shroud tin missing. I can't see it but I be it's missing on the left side too. The cable tie securing the spark plug wires should be cut off. Having them tied together can cause your engine to misfire.
Nice car BTW.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

I run my filter next to the transmission. Its up outta the way and fairly easy to get to. Anywhere is good but the engine compartment.

As for the running rough after running out of gas. Yeah, as Rustavenger said, change the filter. Also pull the jets from the right side of the carb, blow some compressed air through them. Same goes for where they came out of. Don't mix them up!

Plugs, yeah.

If you don't know when the last tune up was done, go ahead and knock that out.

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Nice car - you have good taste - Mine is the one on the left

"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Nice car - you have good taste - Mine is the one on the left ( And I have put the correct turn signals on her 61)

"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shanks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!

I see the places for the plug wire supports. A broken one is still installed on the right side. I also see where the missing piece of shroud belongs. Both left and right sides are missing. I am missing the bolt that attaches the right rear bumper override to the frame. I noticed that there is no rubber grommet on the hard fuel line where it passes through rear engine shroud. Any suggestions on where to find the stuff I need?

I'm told it is a 1500. Is there an easy way to check without tearing it apart? I don't see a flat spot on the front of the air cleaner. It can be rotated a little but don't think I can get to 8:30 because the indentation on lower right side won't clear carb then. Checked the air cleaner and the top is seated. There is some missing paint and damage to the rim of the top that makes it look like it is not seated. Carb is Solex H30/31PICT. Is the vacuum advance distributor a better option for this engine? What spark plugs would you recommend?

I have a Haynes manual for the car that came with it. I've seen some stuff on here about the Blue VW 1200 Workshop Manual and the John Muir book. Would you recommend these? Any others? I'm thinking that the workshop manual won't be applicable to my engine though.

Some more info on her. I'm told that I am the third owner. Last owner took it down to bare metal and had it repainted in original color in 2008. The trunk was not done at this time. The carpet, headliner, seat covers, door panels, were all replaced in 2008. There is an arm rest on the passenger door but none on the driver door. Should this year have arm rests? In 2012, they put a Freeway Flyer transmission in. Looks like original steering wheel in it. It probably could use some TLC. Turn signal switch probably needs rebuilt since it won't stay in turn positions. How hard is that? Drivers door does not lock. Handle won't even rotate up.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Grommets can be sourced at any hardware or auto parts store. Just make a cut in it and stuff it in place gently with a screwdriver until it seats. No need to disassemble anything.

The H30/31 is typically a good carburetor but does seem to work best with a vacuum advance distributor. But if you are not experiencing the 009 hesitation while taking off in first gear, I'd leave it alone.

The easy answer is no, you can't tell engine size without disassembling the motor, UNLESS....The technology on inspection cameras is getting better. I suppose you might be able to pull a spark plug and look inside the cylinder with a fiber optic camera. Stamped on the top of the piston is the diameter of the piston. If there is not a lot of carbon build up you might be able to read that.

The two books you have are perfect.

Turn signal switch replacement is easy, but cleaning it is a good option too.

Air cleaner: remember when talking VW, front is always towards the front of the car and rear is towards the back of the car. The bowl of the air cleaner should have a flat side on the front. Yours is not off by much. It does look like you have a 36hp air cleaner top stuck into a 40hp air cleaner base. Notice the dome shape on mine

And here you can see the slight turn aft.

Door repairs are fairly easy also. Remove the offending handle with a scribe to push the pin out and a screwdriver to push the escutcheon ring inwards so you can see the pin and push it out. Just take your time. Then the window crank handle the same way. And then the door panel. Then clean and lube the linkage like crazy. Until the handle turns again. Just take your time and be gentle.

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
shanks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Well, it's been many months since I last posted. I've been out of town for work most of the time and not had much time to troubleshoot. That all changed in the last couple of weeks. I now have a running Bug!! Very Happy

Recall from earlier that I thought I ran out of gas. I could get the car started but it would not idle and sounded like I had at least one cylinder missing. Started with plugs, nothing changed. Found a bad plug wire and changed them out, nothing. Finally took a look at the points and they were not moving at all. With limited time to install new points, I correctly gapped the existing points and she fired right up. Runs great now! So, I think the points either vibrated loose or the follower wore enough to cause them not to open properly. Just so happens that it coincided with a low fuel state...

I have relocated my fuel filter to the transmission area and installed new fuel lines except for the tank line. While trying to get the old line off the fuel pump, the outlet pulled right out of the pump. I cleaned it up, installed it with red Loctite, and safety wired it to the pump. Also safety wired the carb inlet. Brakes are adjusted but need to be bled when I have an extra helper. Valves are adjusted, plug wire holders replaced, grommet installed where fuel line passes through rear tin.

I have a few questions for the masses...
I don't think the air cleaner I have is correct for the 1968 1500cc engine, see earlier photo. There is no way to get the inlet at 8:30 as suggested earlier due to the carb and the indent on the lower right side of the air cleaner. What is the correct air cleaner for this motor?

It appears that there is a piece of tin missing from the forward side of both left and right heat risers, as suggested earlier. I cannot seem to find these pieces anywhere online. Could someone post a link or photo of what I am missing?

Battery has been replaced twice. I installed the first one and after sitting for a while it was dead. Put it on the charger and the polarity was reversed. Took it back to NAPA and they replaced it. Said they have seen a couple of that model with the same problem. I do not have a battery hold down. Any ideas on a hold down scheme for the battery?

PO installed Freeway Flyer transmission. I get the feeling that the 1500 I have does not have enough power to drive the transmission, especially here in Colorado. On the flat ground I can cruise at 60mph in 4th gear. If there is any kind of uphill I end up having to downshift. Should I think about going back to a stock transmission with this motor?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

1968 air cleaner. Sorry I couldn't find a better pic.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293837
Here's two for sale in the classifieds,
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2037644

Please post a pic of the bottom of your engine. I'm having a hard time imagining what your looking for re: the missing tins.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
shanks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the heat riser. Am I missing a piece of tin here?

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Borrowed from zundfolge's gallery. I hope he doesn't mind Laughing

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

shanks wrote:
I do not have a battery hold down. Any ideas on a hold down scheme for the battery?

If the front little mount is there on the pan for the Group 42 battery and you need the rear, you can drill through near where the original stud was and insert a long bolt from underneath, and hold that in place with a nut to sandwich it in place, and the longer threaded end will act as a new stud for the little VW hold down plate and nut for the rear mount onto the Group 42 battery. This works, don't ask me how I know !!!

If the front mount is not there on the pan, you could drill one hole in front of the battery and one near the rear stud and use two J-bolts and a battery top securing mount, like I have on my trucks.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Very nice car Shanks, congrats on the purdy purchase, and welcome to the Samba, a lot of great folks here with an unbelievable amount of knowledge.
Happy cruising,

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
its allgood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

I myself just bought a 65 bug. You have a beatiful car.... Welcome.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Quote:
I myself just bought a 65 bug. You have a beatiful car....

So, when do we get to see yours? Wink
its allgood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

I've had Brian about 40 days ago.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Beetle Reply with quote

Nice....really like the color combo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: