Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Waxy substance melting out of my generator
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject: Waxy substance melting out of my generator Reply with quote

I've noticed after the past couple of times driving my 1950, there is a yellow, waxy substance that leaks out of the generator from the vent strap area down onto the breast plate tin. My generator was rebuilt a year ago, seems to work fine. The armature was tested and turned, and the field coils, brushes and bearings were replaced.
Ronss96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Waxy substance melting out of my generator Reply with quote

Is it getting hot? Maybe a bearing overheating?
2016 ATS-V COUPE
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Waxy substance melting out of my generator Reply with quote

I thought that - but at least by 'feel' it doesn't seem any hotter than anything on the engine around it. I drove it today and haven't seen any more leaking. It is like it comes and goes. No odd sounds, but obviously something is melting on the inside, and once it cools, it is a dark yellow hard waxy substance on the tin below the generator.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Waxy substance melting out of my generator Reply with quote

I'd be asking the outfit that rebuilt it, sounds like the epoxy or whatever compound they used is melting, now the question is is it a bad batch?, or is it indicating excess heat?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: