Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

where is the best place to buy an engine kit
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thunderhead289
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: where is the best place to buy an engine kit Reply with quote

so my girlfriend just purchased a 69 beetle for 1000 that is in really good shape as in no rust holes and drivetrain is all there. im pretty good with mechanicals, im thunderhead289 on youtube.

so I buy most of my american kits through northern but they do not have anything vw. I was hoping that you gents would know where I could order one from. im looking for a full rebuild kit at a good price.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Volkswagen-air-Cooled-Engine-models/dp/0895862255

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidAmerica Motorworks is close to your location and has rebuild kits:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/newsearch.aspx?S=rebuild%20kits,%20engine&Y=&G=&C

I have no idea about their quality though. Their prices seem to be on the inexpensive side compared to some others. Stock 1500-1600cc kit for your 69 would be this one:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/major-engin...ine_300181

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
MidAmerica Motorworks is close to your location and has rebuild kits:

The second worst vendor you can deal with. The only one worse is GEX.

Buy from a "engine builder". They'll sell you the parts they would use. Yes it costs more but you get parts that are inspected and will work. Not parts taken out of shipping crates and sent to you without ever being looked at.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I'll take your word on that then-- as I said I had no idea about their quality- the fact that they don't list any brand names in their kits made me wonder.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scout your region for a good air cooled vw engine builder. Check them out real good. Check with local vw clubs in your region. Research is well worth the time.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the CIP1 rebuild kits? Wonder what their quality is like or if anyone could share their experience with that kit for the original poster...

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-5000

And from an instructional point of view, I've watched this video from Bugme and it makes the process look pretty painless.

http://www.bugmevideo.com/volume3.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I'll take your word on that then-- as I said I had no idea about their quality- the fact that they don't list any brand names in their kits made me wonder.

What a tool, talking out of your ass, again! Laughing
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWD wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Glenn wrote:

What a tool, talking out of your ass, again! Laughing

You guys are family, aren't you...? Always crashing threads. Rolling Eyes

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thunderhead289
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so no one has any good engine kit suppliers? great. . .

btw thanks for the book link to amazon. I was hoping I could find something like that.
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to John at aircooled.net. He can put something together for you. He is very knowledgeable and is a frequent poster on this forum.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VW-Performance-Engine-Kits-s/344.htm

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used CIP, don't use the preassembled kit. The kit comes with shit seals. Assemble the kit yourself and get the elring seals.

My engine runs fine, I got upgraded lifters too and the AA P&Cs. Didn't replace my crank, rods, or cam.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
thunderhead289
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Scout your region for a good air cooled vw engine builder. Check them out real good. Check with local vw clubs in your region. Research is well worth the time.

im actually a pretty accomplished small block ford and chevy engine builder so I was planning to do it myself as I have correct and clean methods. I just need the kit. im amazed they are so hard to come across seeing as how there are so many vw's out there.

sorry about the sarcasm in my previous post, the website just decided to update.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, talk to a engine builder.

Aircooled.net or Black line or CPR are who I'd call.

Forget all that v8 stuff. Aircooled VW's are a different animal.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Forget all that v8 stuff. Aircooled VW's are a different animal.

I'm on the downstroke of putting together a 1970 Ford 351 Cleveland .. The heads and the intake weigh more than I do Shocked

I'm looking forward to building a motor for my Ghia Very Happy

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunderhead289 wrote:
so no one has any good engine kit suppliers? great.

Try CB Performance http://www.cbperformance.com/. They'll have what you'll need.

-jeffrey
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so you can GET an "engine rebuild kit" if you want... But until you break down the engine you have, inspect and measure your goods, you won't know what you really NEED to get.

Arrow You can go all the way.. new everything.. balance your spinning parts.. machine everything that needs it.. dyno the engine.. and spend upwards of 8-10k$. Shocked

Arrow Or.. measure everything.. figure out what's in spec, what's on the edge, and what is out-of-spec.. and take care of business on a part-by-part basis. Turn and/or polish the crank, new bearings all around, new cam and lifters, rebuilt heads, gasket kit, resurface the flywheel, get the case align bored and thrust checked/cut, and a set of new pushrod tubes - that's normal for what I would say is about 80% of the build threads here (Also they say 58-1/2% of all statistics are made up on the spot). Don't skip the engine balancing.

Aircooled.net has tons of FREE info on all of their parts listings and they will send you very informative emails regarding any educated questions you have. Wolfsburg West is a great place to buy parts. Mid-America, with respect to the above poster recommending them, is just an expensive Chinese-part reseller who can't keep advertised parts in stock, and I wouldn't even recommend their car covers to you. (just saying)
CIP1 I haven't used but it's a mixed bag from what I see posted here. EIS Econo International Supply has good parts.. and lastly Bus Depot has average parts and a very informative website(they are really slow.. the website, and shipping both). Think

That's my $.02 from someone who is trying to make a rebuild happen in the next two months.. I've been collecting parts, researching vendors, thread-lurking, asking a ton of stupid questions, and reading reading reading... Bentley VW book, Wilson engine book, even the Hayne's 1600 transporter book.

EIS Econo International Supply
Bus Depot
Mid America Motorworks
CIP1
Wolfsburg West
Aircooled.net

Where to buy the Bentley book
Where to buy the Tom Wilson VW engine book
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thunderhead289
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Ok so you can GET an "engine rebuild kit" if you want... But until you break down the engine you have, inspect and measure your goods, you won't know what you really NEED to get.

Arrow You can go all the way.. new everything.. balance your spinning parts.. machine everything that needs it.. dyno the engine.. and spend upwards of 8-10k$. Shocked

Arrow Or.. measure everything.. figure out what's in spec, what's on the edge, and what is out-of-spec.. and take care of business on a part-by-part basis. Turn and/or polish the crank, new bearings all around, new cam and lifters, rebuilt heads, gasket kit, resurface the flywheel, get the case align bored and thrust checked/cut, and a set of new pushrod tubes - that's normal for what I would say is about 80% of the build threads here (Also they say 58-1/2% of all statistics are made up on the spot). Don't skip the engine balancing.

Aircooled.net has tons of FREE info on all of their parts listings and they will send you very informative emails regarding any educated questions you have. Wolfsburg West is a great place to buy parts. Mid-America, with respect to the above poster recommending them, is just an expensive Chinese-part reseller who can't keep advertised parts in stock, and I wouldn't even recommend their car covers to you. (just saying)
CIP1 I haven't used but it's a mixed bag from what I see posted here. EIS Econo International Supply has good parts.. and lastly Bus Depot has average parts and a very informative website(they are really slow.. the website, and shipping both). Think

That's my $.02 from someone who is trying to make a rebuild happen in the next two months.. I've been collecting parts, researching vendors, thread-lurking, asking a ton of stupid questions, and reading reading reading... Bentley VW book, Wilson engine book, even the Hayne's 1600 transporter book.

Bus Depot
Mid America Motorworks
CIP1
Wolfsburg West
Aircooled.net

thanks for the awesome response. I generally do not reuse parts like cams and bearings when I build. but everything else I have no problem with. what about these guys, china? http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/1600cc_Engine_Rebuild_Kits_for_VW_Volkswagen_p/enginekit1600.htm
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thunderhead289 wrote:
scrivyscriv wrote:

Bus Depot
Mid America Motorworks
CIP1
Wolfsburg West
Aircooled.net

thanks for the awesome response. I generally do not reuse parts like cams and bearings when I build. but everything else I have no problem with. what about these guys, china? http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/1600cc_Engine_Rebuild_Kits_for_VW_Volkswagen_p/enginekit1600.htm

Read their spotty feedback here,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...p;start=40
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some crappy feedback... Yikes.

So nobody has asked, why are you wanting to do a full rebuild? Low oil pressure, rod knock, bad end play? Just curious. Sometimes there are good reasons NOT to split a case if you don't have to.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: