Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camaro Dune Buggy Project
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
boomerang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Camaro Dune Buggy Project Reply with quote

text from auction/item description:
" 1970 Camaro Dune Buggy PROJECT

Body and Rolling Chasis ONLY, nothing else

Body originally produced by KAR, about 30 years ago. Body has been shortened, and frame extended to accommodate driver comfort"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...1123#v4-37

Has anyone ever seen one of these? Complete or incomplete?

Last edited by boomerang on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They show up once and a while, but rarely as an uncut body. Appears only a little damage to the driver's side "door" area, but overall a great start for a custom project! Little worrisome on the seller's feedback, though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one completed, slightly different shape on the rear window and dash. I don't know why someone would just not go buy a 70's camaro instead.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boomerang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw one before today
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/dunebuggyarchives/Dune%20Buggy%20Models/KAR%20Camaro/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joehadams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone posted this on my facebook last week...

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/2781851374.html
joehadams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if you want it, tell him you saw it on craigslist, its $400 cheaper...
Vealmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A member on here has or had one around the Baltimore, MD area that had been listed in the classified section several times. Don't know if he still has it or not.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
I don't know why someone would just not go buy a 70's camaro instead.
That's because 70-73 camaros are worth a hell of a lot more than that thing..and many people don't want to lay out that kind of dough so something like this suffices Rolling Eyes
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that style is starting to pick up in price. wish i still had my '71 ss. Crying or Very sad

But think of it this way.. you go to a show or a cruise.. how many camaros do you see? 15 to 30? i'm sure if youd roll up in this youd be the only one. and probably the only one that most have even seen. you know i like the oddball, uniques type stuff anyway. lol

you know what would be really fun? pulling up to a huge show and telling them you want to park with the camaros. Twisted Evil
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fellow selling that Camaro-styled buggy is one of the Good Guys, you can trust him completely. I was sort of working a trade for the buggy body but never managed to get any pics taken of what I was trading for it. My buddy let me down on that.

Regardless, the seller was up front and honest.

TC
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:
I don't know why someone would just not go buy a 70's camaro instead.
That's because 70-73 camaros are worth a hell of a lot more than that thing..and many people don't want to lay out that kind of dough so something like this suffices Rolling Eyes

I should have been a little more specific. At the time these kits were produced, a camaro could be had on every street corner. At that time, during the first oil crisis fo the early 70's, the advantage would be economy in fuel milage.

I think they are cool and would love to have one, but my other 4 projects might get jealous.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
OutCasted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen this one on Craigslist.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/2878996275.html
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a bunch of them for sale over the years. Uncut, complete, and a complete mess. I am not sure how many where made, but from what I have seen they are not all that rare.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Camaro Dune Buggy Project Reply with quote

I picked up another camaro body , short version, and this one is a little different.

It has a Z28 2nd gen style front nose, and front and rear bumpers. Never seen this style before, and am thinking few were made towards the end of the company making them.

I'll post a pic shortly.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Camaro Dune Buggy Project Reply with quote

My "Mini-Camaro" project began late 1975 near Detroit:

Paid $800 for fiberglass body with semi-major crack'd/torn front left fender, held only by rope on a 1965 chassis shorten'd to 70" wheelbase with 40-horse engine that had not been running for over a year.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Camaro Dune Buggy Project Reply with quote

Too bad they didn't make it to fit a std. wheelbase pan, and re-proportion to look more like the real thing.

How about a '69Z28 SSRS in fiberglass? About 7/8 scale of the original (94.5" wheelbase)? Now that would be pretty cool!
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Camaro Dune Buggy Project Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
Too bad they didn't make it to fit a std. wheelbase pan...

Actually, they DID. There were 2 available, the super-short one I chose and another for the full un-shorten'd VW chassis. And I believe the red one in joescoolcustoms post above is the longer model, which had a curved windshield, short one was set up for flat windshield, tho I later gave mine a curved windshield. More info is here:

http://priceofhistoys.com/kar-z-28-camaro-vw-mini-funny-car/
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Camaro Dune Buggy Project Reply with quote

They did have a long and short version. From the looks of it the pics of the red one posted was the long one .

GS guy wrote:
Too bad they didn't make it to fit a std. wheelbase pan, and re-proportion to look more like the real thing.

How about a '69Z28 SSRS in fiberglass? About 7/8 scale of the original (94.5" wheelbase)? Now that would be pretty cool!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: