Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anti-Freeze Color?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sageandspirit wrote:
FWIW, for the past ~4 yrs I have been using Prestone, but not the yellow container/green color version. I have been using the Dex-Cool type of Prestone which is bright orange in color ( the container is grey). I thought this was the preferred type of Prestone to use, instead of the green color, for these engines. But then again I am not particularly mechanically inclined. What "G" designation is this version? I always buy full strength coolant and gallons of distilled water and mix them half and half, alternating between them using a quart of each from a rinsed glass container(wide mouth).

Do some research on Dex-Cool, as used by GM. There were class action lawsuits pertaining to Dex-Cool causing gunk buildup,and I just missed claiming my 2002 Venture under the class action- it would have netted me about $50. Not worth my time, although I do believe it is not particularly well suited in ANY engine, so I do not put it in the Venture anymore, but that engine has its own issues- leaking intake manifold gaskets. BTDT.
I only use the Prestone OR the one- color- fits- all WalMart stuff in all my engines. No problems - yet....

AND- to further muddy the waters, I recall reading about the use of distilled water in engines, and the problem with free electrons causing damage, or something... I use tap water, mine is pretty soft but I would not use any harder water in any system. Somebody with a better brain than mine should know more about that.... Wink
sageandspirit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
ok, who has used Prestone for how may years with no drama resulting?

and... who has done a teardown inspection to be absolutely sure...

Sounds to me like you have had a bad experience using Prestone (green color coolant/yellow container type I am assuming). True? What do you use? Since the latest reply to my previous post, sounds like I should not be using Dex-Cool... and was considering going to the green Prestone. Put me in the "confused category" on this topic.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a BMW guy. I REALLY like the blue BMW coolant. Phosphate free! That being said I bought my van with green coolant in it, and have not had time to change it yet, mostly it just leaks out and I add some water so far. Rolling Eyes

Both our BMW's have the blue coolant, and when the time comes the vanagon will have it too. Regardless of what coolant you run, you need to flush it every two years or corrosion happens.

anyone remember those radiator caps with sacrificial anodes they used to sell so you'd NEVER have to change your coolant again!? Laughing
Yukon Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: G13 Reply with quote

Looks like VW is now up to G13. Had a bum thermostat stuck open so figured was also due for a coolant change. When I popped into the closest VW dealer (700 miles away) to see what their price for G12 ++ was they said to go with the new stuff.

It was "cheaper" and more environmentally friendly and is backwards compatible. Looks like it is basically the same as the G12 ++ but now is more environmentally friendly since it uses 20% glycerin in its formulation. Still crazy pink coloured.

ECS Tuning in their VW Audi Cooling System Care and Maintenance doc has more info on it at the bottom of the doc.

The Mfg Part # is G013A8J1G for anyone that is interested.
1987 1.6 TD (JX) 1.9 TD (AAZ) Syncro Transporter Tintop with front and back lockers - Escorial Green. Got a North American High Top buried in snow waiting for a spring, summer when-oh-when-lord install.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: