Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing Axle Long(er) Axle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Swing Axle Long(er) Axle Reply with quote

I recently wore out my Swing Axle transmission and now I am in the process of putting in a rebuilt one. the rebuilt transmission has a set of long axles on it and last night as we were installing it we noticed the stock brake drum didn't sit over the backing plate like a normal one would (long axles). I purchased the larger spacers and I just don't think (hoping) that I installed it correctly.

has anyone installed long axles? and what did you do?

I know pictures help but I didn't take any last night.

Any Questions/Comments/Concerns are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spacers to convert the early drums, short axle, short spline to long axle, long spline go on after the drum to space out the castle nut into the thread area.

Where did you put the spacer?

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a long axle problem its a spline problem as "Joe" says, if you have short spline drums you need spacer between drum and castle nut...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, there are short shorts, short longs, long shorts and long longs.

Put a mic on any spacers you buy and make sure they are of a consistent width. I damaged a set of axles by using some that were of substandard tolerance.
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For spacers between the drum snout and the castle nut, I have had good luck using the spacer that the axle seal rides on in a swing axle setup. See number 10 in the diagram.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also to mention, the bearing caps are different. The long axle tube uses a different axle cap than the short axle tube.

They cannot be mixed or the backing plate/wheel bearing will not have proper support.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey joe are you referring to this?
buggytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I had the spacer in the wrong location so thankfully that is fixed.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggytime wrote:
hey joe are you referring to this?

Yes.

If the wrong bearing retaining plate is used, either the bearing will be loose, or the backing plate will be loose.

One axle tube has a shorter depth for the bearing to seat in and the bearing retaining cap is deeper to accomodate it. The exact opposite, with a deeeper axle tube bearing area and a shallow bearing retaining cap for the other.

buggytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing because I installed the one that's on the right that I should have installed the one on the left. ?
buggytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing because I installed the one that's on the right that I should have installed the one on the left. ?
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Swing Axle Long(er) Axle Reply with quote

There is also two different bearing depths of the style on the left, one is interchangable with the style on the right.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle Long(er) Axle Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
There is also two different bearing depths of the style on the left, one is interchangable with the style on the right.

There are actually 3 different depth bearing retainers.
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
R.C.N. Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can some one please add part numbers for the 3 bearing caps I need the correct part numbers for bearing caps for 68 long axle long spling. Are they the same as type 3? Are they the same as irs . I have two bearing caps that end with a a. And another whose part number ends with a b. I need to get my straight axle conversion done
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to name all the bearing caps that could get mixed up aren't we talking about 4 different bearing caps? Are the part numbers visible on the bearing caps? If so that would be a great way to tell them apart. Otherwise, distinguishing measurements will need to be used.

1. Pre 1965 (?) These don't have the oil flinging washer. They where designed for an oil flinger that mounted in the drum.

2. 1965-1967 These physically interchange with the ones above but have the built in oil flinger and should be matched to a oil weep hole in the backing plate.

3. 1968 These have the bearing positioned with more of it in the cap compared to older models. [edit: less of it in the cap] These have the built in oil flinging washer too.

4. 1969-1979 These are the caps for the IRS cars (1968 autostick also.) I don't know how they differ as I'm not very familiar with later Bugs.

That is all behind the drum. There are 2 different axle lengths used in Swingaxle cars as well. 1961-1966 are short axle cars. 1967 and 1968 are long axle cars.

Axle and drum splines come in 2 different lengths. Everything prior to 1968 has short splines, drums and axles. Everything from 1968-1979 has long splines. Long spline drums can only be used on short spline axles if you have a machine shop shorten the snout of the drum to allow the axle nut to be installed. (how much?)

Since 1969 and newer are IRS cars that leaves one year, 1968, with long axles and long splines (I think that is also what is used on newer Mexican Beetles too, as they did not go to IRS.) A spacer has to be installed between the drum and nut to allow the use of short spline drums on long spline axles.

My Buggy has 1967 long axles with 1963 brakes and bearing caps. I do not have the old style drum mounted oil flingers as they where not available reproduction until recently.

Last edited by EVfun on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
jrailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't you just swap out the axles and tubes
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.C.N. Bugs wrote:
Can some one please add part numbers for the 3 bearing caps I need the correct part numbers for bearing caps for 68 long axle long spling. Are they the same as type 3? Are they the same as irs . I have two bearing caps that end with a a. And another whose part number ends with a b. I need to get my straight axle conversion done

No part numbers sorry... but you can figure out what you have by depth differences.
Basically the depth of the axle tube bearing cup and depth of the bearing cap cup added together, should equal bearing thickness no matter the year.

You cant mix match certain year caps and axle tubes.. or the bearing or backing plate wont be secure.

I actually have a car rolling with 67 axles, 1- 67 tube and cap and 1- 68 tube and cap... works fine..
The 68 (and newer) swing axle bearing depth style tube does place the axle 2mm deeper into the fulcrum plates because the bearing is 2mm deeper into the tube.
Pretty sure that was done to help place the bearing 2mm further in the tube (rather than the cap) to support to the longer end and splines of the 4 lug drum swing axle.. Pure speculation but makes sense to me..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
R.C.N. Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two bearing can't that are 311501311a and 301501311b they are the same at the 68 ones you pictured but one has a different depth
So I don't know if it will be correct
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.C.N. Bugs wrote:
I have two bearing can't that are 311501311a and 301501311b they are the same at the 68 ones you pictured but one has a different depth
So I don't know if it will be correct

Whats the cap bearing cup depth?
Do they both have the shrouded cap and weep hole?

Go back and read beyond the picture....You can pretty much take the measurement of the seated bearing outer race sticking out of the tube and figure out which cap you need.

I checked 4 known 65-67 caps and they are 311501311...no a or b.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
R.C.N. Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are two different depths I'll clean and measure and take pics
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: