Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full Seal door kits
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Full Seal door kits Reply with quote

Hi guys... Have been getting ready to purchase either WW's kit or possibly the CIP1's set.

CIP's
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=A48-8311

WW's
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113837003Z

Just looking for any fit & finish feedback on these kits. Seems like neither WW or CIP offer the complete door "German quality" kits for '55-'59... or if they do I can't locate them at either as it seems the german style ones only go down to '64. Would prefer the German quality ones but if they aren't available anywhere I guess I have to choose one of these. Unless someone else has another source to find the complete German kits...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Gene
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received the WW door kit last week. I was impressed.
Its a mix of German and WW rubber. The inner and outer scraper, and outer door rubber was all German. Vent Window, division bar, made by WW I think. Felt channel was German with the red stitching.

Fit and finish --
Outer door seal - incredible
Vent Window seal - just a tad long, had to trim. long is better than short I guess.
Inner and Outer Scrapers and Felt - awesome quality, fit perfect, I mean perfect. You will need some new sheet metal screws for the outer scraper.

Sure it took me 4 hours just to do one door, but it turned out good. I recommend WW.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was leaning towards to WW...

Thanks schwing, that makes me feel a bit better...

after seeing what sounds like a couple of issues on threads here with some WW gaskets is pretty much why I just thought I would as for some feedback before actually ordering them... which I plan to order this week sometime.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Now, for the window seals I had the same issues with WW, and I went with CIP1 molded corners and I have to say night and day. Like 16 hours vs. 30min (CIP1).

When you are ready to install we can b.s., I learned some tricks along the way which might save you some time.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
Exactly. Now, for the window seals I had the same issues with WW, and I went with CIP1 molded corners and I have to say night and day. Like 16 hours vs. 30min (CIP1).

When you are ready to install we can b.s., I learned some tricks along the way which might save you some time.

Thanks Schwing! yeah if I run into any problems will definitely hit you up with questions first...

Luckily I already ordered the windshield gasket last fall with some other pieces & parts last fall from CIP... and over the winter we picked up a pair of really nice condition pop-outs for the rear quarters so won't need new gaskets for those... the only other gasket I still need to find is the rear oval gasket. And will more than likely order that from CIP to match the front one I already have from them.

on a side note: Our front windshield is going to be quite a chore no matter how I look at it seeing as the car didn't come with a windshield I will have to make a hard template and install that before I can even cut up a new windshield (I'm a glass person by trade)... I'm also going to make up a full set of new lite grey tinted glass to send off for tempering and at some point down the road swap all of the side glass, including the glass in the popout frames as well. I think it give it a really nice look with the simple Black/Black/Tan look we're going after in the end...
modelac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in Roscoe if you need a pattern.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modelac wrote:
I have one in Roscoe if you need a pattern.

Thanks Modelac..! I will definitely keep that offer in mind. Making a tracing of one will save us loads of time fitting one up...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: