Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
What is the best cylinderheads?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance - Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Fredriktak
Samba Member


Joined: June 10, 2010
Posts: 27
Location: Sweden
Fredriktak is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: What is the best cylinderheads? Reply with quote

I`m thinking of new cyl heads, and what i have learned there is a LOT of diffrent brands, witch brands/heads should i avoid? And who are the heads for sligty tuned 1600

They will be putted on my light polished dp 1600. want a head that will go on for many miles, in a 1600. that will have revlimiter @5500rpm. more then max rpm its daily street driven car, wo rarly will see redline mark.

Autolea have i got the impression that is no good?

best, strongest? not nessesairly the cheapest.. since i wanna drive the car, not repair cus i have been trying to save some money..

Be cheap and u will be sorry... have always been my experience when i tries to save money, in the end i have payed more then the better ones..

thanks all! really hoping for some good answers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member


Joined: November 24, 2007
Posts: 7557
Location: Whittier,CA
DarthWeber is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your engine could use the "L3" type head. Stock valve size, 35.5 x 32mm, HD single valve springs, slightly bigger or mildly massaged ports, multi-angle valve job, perhaps some chamber work:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Stocker-Plus-Dual-Port-Cylinder-Heads-35-X-32-p/l3-heads-pair.htm

http://www.drdracingheads.com/xcart/DRD-35.5X32mm-Performance-head.html

These are Chinese based castings. Quality shouldn't be an issue as DRD and AC.Net offer good parts they will stand behind. One alternative is to go with MOFOCO 040 heads which are made in the USA and have them upgrade the heads to "L3" specs.

http://www.mofoco.com/category/VW_Performance_Heads/c52
_________________
Mitey62 wrote:
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fredriktak
Samba Member


Joined: June 10, 2010
Posts: 27
Location: Sweden
Fredriktak is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you! Awesome reading, many thanks.

anyone who have bought the chinese base castings?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member


Joined: March 17, 2007
Posts: 2563
Location: Canada
neil68 is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best cylinderheads? Reply with quote

Fredriktak wrote:
I`m thinking of new cyl heads, and what i have learned there is a LOT of diffrent brands, witch brands/heads should i avoid? And who are the heads for sligty tuned 1600

They will be putted on my light polished dp 1600. want a head that will go on for many miles, in a 1600. that will have revlimiter @5500rpm. more then max rpm its daily street driven car, wo rarly will see redline mark.

Autolea have i got the impression that is no good?

best, strongest? not nessesairly the cheapest.. since i wanna drive the car, not repair cus i have been trying to save some money..

Be cheap and u will be sorry... have always been my experience when i tries to save money, in the end i have payed more then the better ones..

thanks all! really hoping for some good answers.


Since you're from Sweden, why not contact Johannes Persson? I'm running a set of his MS230 heads...a hi-po head that runs as cool as stock. If you want to truly "drive" your car, then they're worth consideration:

http://www.jpmotorsports.se/products
_________________
Neil.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.6 seconds @ 106 mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2jeGRqRUvo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey


Joined: March 22, 2005
Posts: 9452
Location: No F*uck Vagina
miniman82 is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best cylinderheads? Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
Fredriktak wrote:
...heads for slighty tuned 1600...
Since you're from Sweden, why not contact Johannes Persson? I'm running a set of his MS230 heads...a hi-po head that runs as cool as stock. If you want to truly "drive" your car, then they're worth consideration.



Really? Rolling Eyes
_________________
Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212747

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.


Welcome to the Samba.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member


Joined: November 24, 2007
Posts: 7557
Location: Whittier,CA
DarthWeber is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Yup, those MS230's look like they will work REAL good on a stock 1600!!
_________________
Mitey62 wrote:
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member


Joined: April 08, 2009
Posts: 10973
Location: SHALIMAR ,FLORIDA
mark tucker is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the CFE heads, but dont think they do any for these vw's.the losponchos cnc heads from cb would probably work good on that small motor.or the mofoco's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member


Joined: March 17, 2007
Posts: 2563
Location: Canada
neil68 is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: heads Reply with quote

Fredriktak,

I should have mentioned that Johannes also works on other cylinder heads, so if you contact him he should be able to set you up with some appropriate heads if you want to stay with a 1600.
_________________
Neil.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.6 seconds @ 106 mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2jeGRqRUvo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Fredriktak
Samba Member


Joined: June 10, 2010
Posts: 27
Location: Sweden
Fredriktak is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
Fredriktak,

I should have mentioned that Johannes also works on other cylinder heads, so if you contact him he should be able to set you up with some appropriate heads if you want to stay with a 1600.


thanks, i will give him a call. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll


Joined: February 23, 2007
Posts: 6888

AlteWagen is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a thread regarding the new china casting.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488214

It seems there are at least two castings on the market now, the ones in the first pic in the thread above and the "043" clone that Steve Timms is now using (shown later in the thread).

Just to let you know, Autolinea is the OEM foundry that supplied VW with their castings AND currently supplies CB performance with their "044" casting which is based on the original VW factory racing head or the "041".

Autolineas G03 casting is the same as the original 041 casting but has 40x35 valves instead of the original 39x32 that VW used.

Mofoco has heads made in the USA of various sizes.

My recommendation would be the VW casting that CB still sells called the banditio

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1470

or panchito if you want a bit more power

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1794

Nothing beats a real VW casting for cooling
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member


Joined: October 30, 2009
Posts: 11549
Location: Colorado Springs
modok is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 044 casting today has evolved significantly, I have OE 041 heads and there is not much similarity between 044 and 041.

I agree the mexico 043 heads have been the best replacement for the old OE heads, that are no longer made. But the 043 mexico is supposedly out of production too. get em quick before they run out! Or have some low mileage used heads rebuilt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member


Joined: June 20, 2010
Posts: 2817
Location: Lower Michigan
Altema is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthWeber wrote:
Sounds like your engine could use the "L3" type head. Stock valve size, 35.5 x 32mm, HD single valve springs, slightly bigger or mildly massaged ports, multi-angle valve job, perhaps some chamber work:

This valve size with mildly massaged ports works well with a 1600. You get good port velocity and decent low RPM torque, but it will still take you to 5k when you want to wind it out.

Paul
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member


Joined: August 15, 2002
Posts: 2299
Location: Brew City
roy@mofoco.com is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
I started a thread regarding the new china casting.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488214

It seems there are at least two castings on the market now, the ones in the first pic in the thread above and the "043" clone that Steve Timms is now using (shown later in the thread).

Just to let you know, Autolinea is the OEM foundry that supplied VW with their castings AND currently supplies CB performance with their "044" casting which is based on the original VW factory racing head or the "041".

Autolineas G03 casting is the same as the original 041 casting but has 40x35 valves instead of the original 39x32 that VW used.

Mofoco has heads made in the USA of various sizes.

My recommendation would be the VW casting that CB still sells called the banditio

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1470

or panchito if you want a bit more power

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1794

Nothing beats a real VW casting for cooling


I'll have numbers to prove that incorrect this summer Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member


Joined: November 24, 2007
Posts: 7557
Location: Whittier,CA
DarthWeber is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy, have you considered doing a head similar to DRD's L3 heads? Using your 040 MOFOCO casting.
_________________
Mitey62 wrote:
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member


Joined: October 30, 2009
Posts: 11549
Location: Colorado Springs
modok is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, perhaps 37 by 33 valves with stock size ports and a nice valve job!

There seems to be demand for such a thing, the competition does not sell anything that equals an old fashioned souped up stock head
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll


Joined: February 23, 2007
Posts: 6888

AlteWagen is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
derluftwagen wrote:


Nothing beats a real VW casting for cooling


I'll have numbers to prove that incorrect this summer Cool


Id like to see the numbers of the new china head that also has additional fins compared to the OE casting.

Notice the extra large fin at the bottom of the head, OE heads only have two solid fins while the new china casting has 3

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
modoc wrote:
The 044 casting today has evolved significantly, I have OE 041 heads and there is not much similarity between 044 and 041.


The only difference I can see today is the added material above the ports so that welding is not needed, and the smaller plug to prevent cracking. Other than that the basic 044 has all the same qualities of the G03 or late brazil 041 (again other than the larger valve size 40x35 vs 39x32). The difference between the "early chamber" 041s and the 044s is night and day
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chip B.
Samba Member


Joined: July 19, 2008
Posts: 400
Location: Utah
Chip B. is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of the China heads, L7 turbo from DRD. Motor is currently being built, but they appear very nice. Beautiful port work, nice looking castings. I also just put together a motor with the L5s from DRD purchased from
John @ AC.net. These were also a very nice product and ultimately inspired me to sell my CNC'd 044s and buy the CNC's from Darren.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekacpuc
Samba Member


Joined: December 08, 2010
Posts: 619
Location: ketchikan alaska
ekacpuc is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am looking around at heads.. The L3s say that they've had some port word done though they don't say exactly what.. Maybe just a pocket port? The only pictures that I can find are of the chambers and to me they look a little rough. Is a bowl blend/polish unrealistic with these motors? I couldn't find any actual pictures of the ports or anything...


I haven't tried e-mailing john or drd about the L3s yet but will eventually asking these questions. I realise that stock lacks but for every gain there is a loss somewhere, I'm unwilling to loose too much bottom end.. Somewhere I saw some mexican castings, seems like they weren't much less money than the L3s though.


I've read reviews that CBs 044 heads are rough too, seems they still have that ridge behind the valve from machining.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
vince1
Samba Member


Joined: December 14, 2003
Posts: 558
Location: western France
vince1 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
I have a set of the China heads, L7 turbo from DRD. Motor is currently being built, but they appear very nice. Beautiful port work, nice looking castings. I also just put together a motor with the L5s from DRD purchased from
John @ AC.net. These were also a very nice product and ultimately inspired me to sell my CNC'd 044s and buy the CNC's from Darren.


This post is useless without pics Laughing Cool
_________________
my French blog http://panelvan.skynetblogs.be/

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member


Joined: August 15, 2002
Posts: 2299
Location: Brew City
roy@mofoco.com is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthWeber wrote:
Roy, have you considered doing a head similar to DRD's L3 heads? Using your 040 MOFOCO casting.


I can do anything Wink

Yes, I do make heads similar, I just don't list them separately. It's our basic 040 plus the port and polish. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I just got our foundry to double their output for me, I will have another order of castings in 2 weeks so now is the time to order.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance - Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2013, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB