Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big, white, plain Petri horn button - is it reproduced?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Big, white, plain Petri horn button - is it reproduced? Reply with quote

I am restoring a "banjo with cross bars" Petri steering wheel. Sold as acessory to VW and used standard in various other cars.

I am missing the horn button completely...does anybody reproduce these big white buttons? And/or can something else be used?

Post your knowledge and experiences with this type of steering wheel...

Check pictures below - thank you in forehand.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zwitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Petri Horn Button Reply with quote

When I got my Zwitter in 1974, the car came with a banjo wheel, but lacked the correct horn button.
Previous to the days of the Internet and online searching, I spent time looking for the same horn button at swap meets and through word of mouth connections, without result.
Then with the advent of e-Bay and other places, I began anew. I came across one NOS button several years ago that reached nearly $800 usd at the auctions end. It went to someone in Switzerland; obviously a well heeled collector.
I did see a different auction a few years later and was fortunate to place a winning bid.
Over the years I may just not have been as diligent as I could have been, but I can say that these are a really difficult horn button to come across.
I wish you more rapid search results.
Steve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=419454
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Zwitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Banjo horn button Reply with quote

Difficult to beat the idea that Glenn has shared.
Having bought parts from Gary @ Brezelwerks over the years, I know his products are as perfect as you could ever wish for.

However, just myself, having a real banjo wheel, then adding a fake Flat-4 horn button, I don't think I could do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leeezard7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand the originality thing, i do. but the flat 4 button is nice quality tho. and i suppose it would look better than no horn button at all. i dunno. in the end, its your car.
vwovalguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but these buttons came with a brown bakelite backing wth the Petri logo and the metal wire connect built in, surrounded by the chrome ring holding the ivory top......I think Gary is just advertising the white top?

RareAir wrote:
Here you go-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=419454
SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the inputs!

I did some searching and found this one as well:
http://www.vwispwest.com/64434782101IV.html

Knowing the Brzelwerks-quality, yet also needing the ring and backside....I guess a combination of these to is the best way to go?

Has anybody held these two versions in their hand and can comment on fitment and quality?
leeezard7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

split, mine came from ispwest. its a nice unit as well. it said flat 4 on the box it came in
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: