Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grey water tank options?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Grey water tank options? Reply with quote

We've come up with a work-around for collecting grey water from the sink (we put a pan under the drain and take it to the dump site). I looked at the GW tank - it seems seriously overdone for the job. What are y'all doing for grey water management (other than "just dump it")?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 2 cats and therefor a never ending supply of 3 gallon kitty litter buckets. They fit just right under the van. We use one to catch our wash water then use that to put out our campfire at the end of the evening. Alternatively, we dig a sump hole under the drain then backfill & drive over it at the end of the stay.*

* I live and camp where there isn't a lot of use pressure. If I was camping somewhere where this wasn't ethical (or here in places where you need to be bear savvy) I would containerize and burn my grey water. I probably wouldn't camp where there are drains but if so I would use them.
JaneSpacely
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: gray water tank Reply with quote

I got a factory gray tank from BusDepot, takes a while to get but well worth the wait (sometime they have one in stock e mail them).
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use a small bucket.
You could make your own setup like GW. Less spillage when dumping.

The Eurocampers.com gray water tank here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the idea i like best is a length of pvc pipe fitted with fittings on each end and mounted between the frame rails. Totally unused space and easy to mount.

For grey water, I try not to camp where that would even remotely matter.
scobax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sometimes we camp on a slope where the grey water will run out beneath the slider. Not a good place for a puddle. Also, even in remote locations, skanky grey water in a puddle under the van for a couple of days attracts rodentia etc.

We use a collapsible 5 gallon reliance water container- cheap and easy to find at any half decent sporting goods store or even >gasp!< Wally World.

Create a 12" drain hose out of a piece of clear flexible tubing pressed onto a plastic 3/4" barb x 3/4" pipe thread fitting. Thread that fitting into a 3/4" pipe thread x garden hose fitting. Then, when you camp, you can thread the garden hose fitting end onto the tank outlet under the van and fish the 12" hose into the collapsible tank. the beauty is it is self adjusting for uneven terrain and different heights as conditions require.

The whole thing can be rolled up and stowed under the rear seat or in one of the misc. cabinets.
Entire cost less than $15.

“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong, that's when adventure starts” -Yvon Chouinard

"It's not expensive, its priceless" -Unknown
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done this but here is the link to Presslab's PVC gray water tank system.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412565

What is the capacity of the BusDepot stock tank and what's involved in the install?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Grey water tank options? Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
We've come up with a work-around for collecting grey water from the sink (we put a pan under the drain and take it to the dump site). I looked at the GW tank - it seems seriously overdone for the job. What are y'all doing for grey water management (other than "just dump it")?

This one: http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2552&category_id=128&category_parent_id= ?

That's what I use, although I bought it elsewhere for less dinero and shortened the hose a bit. I don't find it "seriously overdone"; it's quite simplistic and no more difficult than connecting a garden hose (which I also use if the water doesn't need to be contained). Buckets are too bulky; this tank folds up and stows under the rear seat, out of the way. And, if no gray water dumping is allowed on the grounds (which has happened frequently), it can be transported to a bathroom, etc. without spilling out and such. Works well for my needs. <shrug>
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This blue, grey water tank was purchased at a local RV shop. It cost around $30, a little more
than I thought it would be. The tank is really rugged and has a large cap to drain out the water.
For the most part I am happy with its performance.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks for the input. Back east, at least along the coast and particularly in Florida, letting grey water just run is a major no-no. At Anastasia State Park (St. Augustine, FL), they rake each site's sand in part to spot grey water dumping. Hoo boy!

We've seen guys tow their little blue tanks to the dump site with... an F-350 pickup. How weird is that?
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2554&category_id=128&category_parent_id=

and a Coleman 2.5 Gallon Collapsible Water Jug

packs away small and easy

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
86syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water hose flex line from Home depot screwed onto the sink drain, same threads, and an old tide/detergent bottle (fits easily in cabinet). Screw the top back on after your done.
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

86syncrowesty wrote:
Water hose flex line from Home depot screwed onto the sink drain, same threads, and an old tide/detergent bottle (fits easily in cabinet). Screw the top back on after your done.

That is what I have. Except I found an old garden hose and cut a section short enough to fit in the bottle when not in use. I use one of the 2.5 gallon bottles that has the spout on it and disabled the vlave and connected the hose directly to that and the other female faucet end to the drain.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To date I have not used my sink, etc... but I carry a collapsable accordion container. Have 2 one for fresh water and one for grey in the event I need it and takes up no space.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: