Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What NOT to do when importing a car from Europe to the US
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: What NOT to do when importing a car from Europe to the US Reply with quote

I've been reading on the web all kinds of articles about how to import a car from Europe to the US.

So far, I've found that cars that are more than 25 years old and that were made outside the US don't have to conform to the vehicle safety regulations that were in force in the US in the year they were built. At least that's the way I interpret what it says on the NHTSA website.

I've also found that there are a lot of forms to fill out and that various agencies need to be satisfied, like the IRS and the USDA (to make sure the car isn't bringing any bugs into the US), so that it seems a good idea to use a broker or import company to handle the details.

I'm not looking for an exhaustive "to-do" list since that's all on the web. But what can you tell me about pitfalls, things to avoid, things to do that will make the process go more smoothly?

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US Customs and Border Protections run all the Port of Entries into the United States and they are the ones who either say yes you can or no you can not bring something into the United States. With that being said lets not turn this into a the government sucks thing and keep it informational only.

They (they Government) have resources to guide you through the process. One valuable resource is the website for know before you go. It has basic guideline for importing stuff back into the US. But there are phone numbers and websites that will help even more.

www.help.cbp.gov

1-877-227-5511
or
(703) 526-4200
Another source of information is going to a port of entry and speaking to someone, ask for a supervisor.

If you go to CBP's website there should even be a list of phone numbers to the ports if it would be easier to call and you should be able to make an appointment to speak to someone if you want to assure that you can sit down with someone to ask all your questions.

Hope this helps you.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok additional information as found in the know before you go handout.

The Epa requirments can found at
www.epa.gov/otag/imports/factmtop.htm

Or visit their website for
www.epa.gov
for a automotive imports facts manual

The DOT's info for safety compliance is at
www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/pages/page2.html

The brochure for CBP "importing a car" can be found at
www.cbp.gov

With a little work on your end you can avoid paying someone else money for what you can do for free.

I will do a bit more research here and see if I can come up with additional information but these sources should clear up some confussion.

Good luck!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links. From what I can see, EPA excludes an original, unmodified vehicle from emissions rules if it is more than 21 years old, and NHTSA has a similar exclusion from bumper and other safety requirements for vehicles more than 25 years old. But of course you have to provide proof of when the vehicle was manufactured, and that it is unmodified (for instance, still has the original engine).

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go to samba member and split enthusiast John Henry's bugshop.org and read his story of importing his 50 split rag (which he has since sold). http://www.thebugshop.org/goother.htm Doesn't give you every little detail, but still worth reading about the trials and tribulations of buying a car in Europe and shipping to the USA.
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of car are you thinking of and where is it located?

Here's the reader's digest version

You need CBP form 7501 showing duty paid
EPA 3520-1 shows emissions exemption
DOT HS-7 show DOT exemption

You will have to pay 2.5% duty on the car. You will need to hire a broker unless you plan on physically being there, and I would still recommend it because it will make it much less frustrating for you.

Once you have these documents, along with the registration document, you should be good. But,I have had to deal with customers and their own DMVs being stupid and having to be persuaded to register the car.

If you have any questions, I will try to answer. Not to advertise, but I work for a company that imports cars that is in NJ.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of a stickler are they on the "original engine" deal? I imagine most VWs don't have the original engine. Just passing interest in an answer.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the car I'm looking at is 45 years old it is probably not an issue. I think a lot of the rules pertain to new cars (especially exotic ones) that are not sold here but that people want to import.

pav266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently imported a '69 Citroen DS21. I used a broker and it was a trouble free easy process. He handled the shipping and coordinated all the paperwork.

It was well worth the cost

Paul

1963 1200 Anthracite
1969 Citroen DS21 Pallas BVH
1974 Citroen SM 2.7L 5 speed injection electronique
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to hear from anyone that has done this recently. I'm preparing to return to the U.S. from Germany, and plan to bring my 1973 VW type2 arcomobil camper bus with me. I can not confirm that it has the original engine currently. The U.S. military will be shipping the vehicle for me, which there is no issue with, but I was advised I may have trouble on the receiving end. Is there any paperwork I can do myself to make the import easy, or what must I do, if anyone has done this and knows?
73 euro Bay camper (type 1 engine)
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis71bug,
I had 2 cars shipped from the KMC area under orders to the port of Baltimore. I left the cars at a transport business on B40 near the Pizza Hut. (The one In between the KMC bowling alley and Ramstein AB) If the military still uses them, they were more than helpful with questions.
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBall8019 wrote:
Lewis71bug,
I had 2 cars shipped from the KMC area under orders to the port of Baltimore. I left the cars at a transport business on B40 near the Pizza Hut. (The one In between the KMC bowling alley and Ramstein AB) If the military still uses them, they were more than helpful with questions.

But... Very Happy

I'm going to let the military transport it for me, since it's my only vehicle. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe, since this type2 is more than 25 years old, I can fill out a CBP form 3299 (declaration for free entry of unaccompanied articles), DOT HS-7 and check box 1, EPA 3520-1 and check Code E. From my research, I believe this will be sufficient to get it imported. Am I missing something?
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the military takes care of all this for you. There should be guidelines for you and as long as those are met they pick it up and let you know when it arrives at the port and its ready for pick up.

It has been a while since I was in the Army and cant remember the name of the organization that helps you move but they will be able to get you squared away.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
I thought the military takes care of all this for you. There should be guidelines for you and as long as those are met they pick it up and let you know when it arrives at the port and its ready for pick up.

It has been a while since I was in the Army and cant remember the name of the organization that helps you move but they will be able to get you squared away.

They do ship your vehicle, but typically it's the vehicle you brought over with you, or a newer U.S. spec'd vehicle that meets all current regulations/etc. In my case, it's a 40+ year old VW bus that I purchased from a German in Germany and has never been in the U.S.

I did take it to Kapaun this past Friday (for any current or prior service members familiar with the KMC area, I'm sure you're familiar with the vehicle registration center there). After cleaning every square inch of the bus for 3 days, it passed the EPA inspection. I was concerned when the person that does the shipping forms came out and said I can't ship it unless I can prove the engine is the original engine. After discussing this with her for several minutes, another inspector came out and said it would be fine, and we did the paperwork, and it's on the way to the U.S.

I'll try to remember to give a followup in about a month after I pick it up. I hope it goes smoothly on the receiving end.
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it works out well!
AquaBooks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pav266 wrote:
I recently imported a '69 Citroen DS21. I used a broker and it was a trouble free easy process. He handled the shipping and coordinated all the paperwork.

It was well worth the cost

Paul

Did you use a broker here, or in Europe?
lewis71bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBall8019 wrote:
I hope it works out well!

Still waiting. There has been a recent change in contractors that handle the shipping of U.S. military member's vehicles, and it's a mess now.

http://japan.stripes.com/news/transcom-sends-out-search-teams-troops-missing-private-vehicles

http://www.bnd.com/2014/08/16/3352879/us-transcom-to-send-out-teams.html

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/revoke-contract-with-ial-international-auto

My bus is one of the many that are "lost" :^(

The tracking system has been a failure since my bus was left at the shipping yard back in early June. No one at the contractor, IAL, can tell me where it is right now, and I'm not alone in this. I'm just trying to be patient until it shows up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: