Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tight rod journal
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Tight rod journal Reply with quote

Stock 1600 DP, rebuilding short block, setting up rods on crank and one orignal rod felt funny when placed on crank journal. The rod seems to be really tight. Tried on other journals and same thing. New mains and crank has been polished. Other rods go on without problem on any journal. Miked rod and doesn't seem to be out of round. when fitting the cap on the rod it also fits togather somewhat hard. Put rod and cap on journal and torked to spec and is somewhat better but still doesn't seem right.

Any ideas? Thanks
vwboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: tight rod Reply with quote

Ment to say new mains and rod bearings, crank is std never been turned all bearings are standard.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try swapping bearings betwen rods. Also you did mention you toqued it down so I wanted to point out it does matter depending on the rod. Many H Beams are tight until torqued; for example.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: tight rod Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I did try different bearings in that rod but didn't seem to make any diff. Torking the endcap onto the rod seemed to make more diff than anything. I thought the endcap was bad somehow as it seemed to be tight just putting the cap on the journal and spinning it around before adding the rod.
Don't know what the tight rod will do but case togather and crank turns freely and rod does rotate on crank but seems a little to tight to me.

Thankls
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you plastigauge the journal? so long as you know you have oil clearance it will be fine. Its hard to gauge what 'a little tight' is though Very Happy
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring the rod and 20$ to an automotive machine shop, they fix for you!

The cap not going on easy is often an indication the rod got toasted at some time in the past. I could probably fix that(secret connecting rod magik), though if not too bad it is ok to leave it like that
vwboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: tight rod Reply with quote

Thought I had checked the new bearing but removed rod from crank and found a small imperfection in the bearing. Bought a new set of rod bearings and replaced the set in the tight rod and all is well.

Thanks for everyones input.

John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: