Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Drum brake removal
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shish K Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

I can't get the rear axle nuts off of my bus but i am trying to get the local gas station mech to break them loose for me but he said it would not matter because i would need a special drum puller to remove the rear drums.

Has anyone heard of this or is there an easier way to do this?
Friedpotatoes
Addicted4life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

at a vw shop they should sell a tool that you fit over the axel nut and pound with a heavy hammer the tool is about 10 bucks

and you dont nee anything but two hads to pull off that drum if it wont come off losen the star ajusters and should come right off never have had needed a puller for a drum on any vw i have owned
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shish K Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

thanks

i used a puller on a set of drums on an nissan that i had. but i have never pulled drums off of a vw yet.

i check the vw shop for the nut buster Wink
type877
Samba Haiku Masta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

Just back the shoes off a little bit, the drum comes right off. If there is no "lip" on the inside of the drum from shoe wear, it is even easier. Never had a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tbartom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

worst case scenario:
I had a bus with the axel nuts almost welded on the drums. I bought the tool (make sure you specify it is a bus and not a bug) and put a breaker bar and still nothing. So I extended the breaker bar with an old pipe and I stood on the end of the five foot pipe (ok, no jokes) and it finally broke loose. The money you spend on the right tools is definitly worth it.
P-Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

I have never had a problem loosening those nuts either. I use a 3/4" drive breaker bar with a 5' cheater pipe, just like it shows in the Idot's Guide. If the drum does not pull off easily, try taping on the spindle with a hammer while pulling the drum. Good luck.
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

Depending upon year of bus you may need a different size nut. I agree, I've never had to use a puller to get the rear drums off. Find a different machanic fast. He doesn't know anything about VWs or trucks.
Friedpotatoes
Addicted4life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

up to 63 you will need the 36mm tool

64 and on you will need 46mm tool
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

P-Dub, Touch Nick, and Fried all have it right. Also invest in a 250ft/lb. torque wrench so that you can properly torque the nut when you reinstall it. That way you won't need anything more than the breaker bar/cheater pipe to get it off in the future.

The torque spec. I am using is 217 ft/lb.
I was told that this was true for both big nut and small nut axle nuts.
Anybody hear different? I'd like to know.
Shish K Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

i bought the nut and breaker bar along with a 5 foot cheater pipe. i wd-40'd it for a day. I had my girlfriend stand on the brake as i jumped on the pipe with no luck.(i'm about 195lbs) the damn thing is on there pretty good. I am going to see if i can talk the local gas station mech to impact it off. I was just worried about getting the drums off.

thanks for all of the advice!!!

i am getting it painted soon so i will post some pic's when it is done Smile
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

I have a pneumatic 1/2 drive and it usaully works. I also have the adapter that bolts to the drum and can amplify torque about 5 times. I thought we were answering a question about pulling drums not breaking loose the nut. I assumed that a person that went to a mechanic in the first place did not want to spend a lot on tools.
Kaput
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

I had this problem a few months ago, liquid wrench, a hammer and a cheater pipe will do the trick. spray it, hammer it, jump on the pipe... repeat. If you have a fat friend with good ballance it mignt help. I had the same fear with the drum removal after I got the nut off but it came off pretty easily with a knock or 2. No puller needed. Just be patient.
-=dan=-
Kaput
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

try the liquid wrench instead of wd-40
Traver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

I have the tool that fits on that nut that is made to be hit with a sledge hammer. That is the only way I know how to do it. I actually have two of those tools: one for my bus and one for bugs. I just hit it with a sledge hammer and it comes loose. To re-tighten it I hit it until it lines up with one of the holes for the kotter pin and then hit it some more until it lines up with the next hole after that.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Rear Drum brake removal Reply with quote

Traver, maybe that is why you need the sledgehammer.
If you torque the nut to 217 ft/lbs. or therabouts, you should have no problem with a 4 foot total length breaker bar/cheater when you "unloosten" it. Only 55 pounds of force to break it free, at 4 feet.
Aukai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I have a 1958 volkswagen single cab and I am trying to hard to remove the rear axle nuts. I used everything to try and remove the rear nuts? What am I doing wrong? Which direction to loosen? Counterclockwise or clockwise? Please help!!!!

Mahalo,
Bruce
Khopkinsx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um...

rightty tighty lefty loosey

Lots of liquid wrench, let it soak for a few days, put more liquid wrench on each day. WD-40 does not do squat for this application.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counterclockwise.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

Aukai wrote:
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I have a 1958 volkswagen single cab and I am trying to hard to remove the rear axle nuts. I used everything to try and remove the rear nuts? What am I doing wrong? Which direction to loosen? Counterclockwise or clockwise? Please help!!!!

Mahalo,
Bruce

Get this tool. It WORKS!!!!! http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D7036
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

Aukai wrote:

Mahalo,
Bruce

What is the condition of the nut and stub axle? If the nut has been on there for many years and there is a lot of rust then the standard techniques (cheater bar, nut whacker, etc) may not work. You can drill holes in the nut and chisel it off. This takes about 30min per nut, but is a guaranteed method. Just don't screw up the axel threads w/ the drill and chisel. Try the easy methods first though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: