Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
my 74 tangerine westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my random thought process in a day left me thinking could I take a standard 1700 cb case and turn it into a 1800 they have the same crank and the bore is pretty close so what would it take to do this?
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read what Colin has posted about the heat shield in the last few years...I am leaning towards leaving it off. Mainly because mine got destroyed during a restoration. I would NEVER second guess the German engineers....but they did not have over half a million miles of real time experience with the type 4 engine like Colin has. If all the shield does is prolong the foam engine seal life...I can live without it. Especially if its gonna burn up my powder coated tins. Just for shits and giggles I am gonna do some tests with and without it. But I am going with Colin's findings.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 74 tangerine westy wrote:
So my random thought process in a day left me thinking could I take a standard 1700 cb case and turn it into a 1800 they have the same crank and the bore is pretty close so what would it take to do this?

1800 pistons and cylinders and having your heads opened up to accept the larger cylinders.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what your results are. The Shield Vs. No Shield debate is similar to the cooling flaps debate. I think It boils down to how well your engine is tuned, how you drive it and local climate but, that could also be debated. Personally I run mine with the shield and cooling flaps hooked up and my engine always stays cool to the touch.
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 74 tangerine westy wrote:

The valves are also larger in a carb'd 1.8. If you don't get the valves enlarged, CHT will be higher some.

I got this from another forum
Quote:
Intake
1700 dual carb.....39.3mm
1800 dual carb.....41.0
1800 FI...............39.3
2000 FI...............37.5

Exhaust
1700 DC............33.0mm
1800 DC............34.0
1800 FI..............33.0
2000 FI..............33.0
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Type 4 thread Reply with quote

So I've revisited this thread, lots of great stuff here!

I have a California emissions 2.0 L Fuel Injected engine #GD041563 pulled from my 1977 bus, with a very likely 86,188 miles. I pulled it so I can rework the gas tank, and replace my battery tray, and that's all done now.

I have it on the workbench, taking it down to long block for inspection and any needed tweaking or upgrades. The compression was tested cold, here are the dry results, after I adjusted the valves:
Cyl No.
1: 120
2: 105
3: 120
4: 140

Then, added a tablespoon of oil:

1: 120 (no change)
2: 120
3: 135
4: 155

Leak down differential test:
All cylinders: IN- 75 OUT-70 This seems to be about a 7% difference.

This is what I plan to do, in the very least:

All new fuel and vacuum lines where possible.
I have remanned injectors on hand. (same price as sending them out to be cleaned)
Exhaust system new muffler and CARB catalytic converter due to age/crumbling of original
New EGR filter (PO removed it, threw it away...?)
Cooling fan and housing cleaned, tin cleaned and refinished.
All control components cleaned, adjusted and tested as possible.
New plugs, wires, rotor, cap, points and maybe the coil.
New foam seal, Intake runner gaskets and air cleaner filter.
I'm also thinking about replacing front and rear main seals...it's been twenty-seven years since this bus was last registered!

I just got the starter and alternator back from a fresh overhaul. Razz

Probably a new throwout bearing and clutch would be a good idea since the engine was pulled.

Can't seem to find the thread about oil plugs or something like that about drilling and tapping?? Embarassed

Also, I have a CAT and EGR indicator light on my dashboard, but no lamp behind the CAT socket. The junkyard 1977 bus didn't have that either. I looked at the Bentley wiring diagram for the CAT, but I can't figure out what exactly it monitors? No wire to any Catalytic Converter sensor??

What else should I do??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

send the injectors out for cleaning and testing- you want them to spray the same amount of cc's.
new flywheel bearing
check end play
fuel filter
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 thread Reply with quote

Wasted youth/adulthood wrote:
CAT and EGR indicator light? No wire to any Catalytic Converter sensor??

Those were triggered by mileage counter box in the speedometer cable every 15,000 miles for cleaning/'inspection".
They are not monitor lamps, they are nags.
Colin
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year was a Cat added to the California bus?

I would add the following:

Tranny input shaft seal
Pushrod tube o-rings
Pilot bearing
Peen the galley plugs (easy) if your don't replace them with threaded plugs (more work and somewhat risky)
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
send the injectors out for cleaning and testing- you want them to spray the same amount of cc's.
new flywheel bearing
check end play
fuel filter

I forgot, I have new square filter on hand. I bought the re-manufactured fuel injectors from Bus Depot. Would it be expected that they were tested before leaving the rebuilder?

Quote:
Those were triggered by mileage counter box in the speedometer cable every 15,000 miles for cleaning/'inspection".
Colin

Thanks! I've got the intrument cluster still out, so it will be nice to set this back into play.

Wildthings wrote:
What year was a Cat added to the California bus?

I would add the following:

Tranny input shaft seal
Pushrod tube o-rings
Pilot bearing
Peen the galley plugs (easy) if your don't replace them with threaded plugs (more work and somewhat risky)

CAT- I don't know what year these were added, my 1973 bus had a smog pump at one time and apparently no cat, but this has no smog pump and does have a cat. Also an emissions decal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colin

Thanks! I've got the intrument cluster still out, so it will be nice to set this back into play.

its actually behind the lower left kick panel, right at the bottom near the floor. small button on the box will reset the counter. check out ratwells site for a how to on how to change the EGR counter to an OIL CHANGE light. Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Quote:
Colin

its actually behind the lower left kick panel, right at the bottom near the floor. small button on the box will reset the counter. check out ratwells site for a how to on how to change the EGR counter to an OIL CHANGE light. Wink

Cool! I'll take a look. Both mine and the '77 from the junkyard did not have the lamp installed in its socket. Hopefully, I can set it all back up.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your '73 isn't going to have the counter, maybe the 77 Cali model would. I wouldn't bother hooking it back up it really doesn't provide you with any useful info. When the one on my '91 Vanagon first came on it was crossing a high interstate bridge on a dark rainy night. Thinking something serious had happened to the engine I killed the ignition and headed for the right shoulder, it took me several seconds to realize that it was some kind of meaningless idiot light that had come on and not something of importance like the oil pressure warning light. I pull the plug on mine and it will stay that way.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Your '73 isn't going to have the counter, maybe the 77 Cali model would. I wouldn't bother hooking it back up it really doesn't provide you with any useful info. When the one on my '91 Vanagon first came on it was crossing a high interstate bridge on a dark rainy night. Thinking something serious had happened to the engine I killed the ignition and headed for the right shoulder, it took me several seconds to realize that it was some kind of meaningless idiot light that had come on and not something of importance like the oil pressure warning light. I pull the plug on mine and it will stay that way.

check out the modifications at the bottom of the page:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EGRBox.html

that will be one of the future mods i do. i can never keep track of the mileage....Rolling Eyes

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I know the '73 won't have it, as it features the early bay cluster. I'm getting the '77 bus all dialed in to pass the C.A.R.B. smog test, and at first I thought the PO had pulled the CAT and EGR lamps out. He had blanked off the EGR piping with a penny stuck in the flange Exclamation and also removed the EGR filter entirely, so with my ignorance of these newer buses, I figured that he dicked with the warning lights, too.

Then I find out today, those aren't 'warning lights' in the true sense that they actually monitor something...like the oil pressure warning.

So I thought it would be pretty cool to hook it back up anyway, but after looking around in the Stewart's suggested area, and reading the Owner's Manual, I am not finding any device to make it work on mine. I wonder if it was an option? This was a California import, but.... Question

Same problem with the EGR lamp. Nothing on the back of the gauge cluster or down behind the kick panel, either side. No abandoned or cut wiring.

Question
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the later buses would have gotten the counter. My '77 has it but my '74 did not, IIRC.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ratwell article that shows how to modify the EGR/CAT mileage counter box to monitor oil change mileage explains the different versions of the box as well as shows the different varieties depending on year. Ref: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EGRBox.html

My '76 is from CA and came with a catalytic converter. However, the mileage counter box is only equipped to monitor EGR mileage and control the EGR mileage light. My CAT warning lamp was not installed and a piece of tape covered the lamp socket. I have very good reason to think this was all original.

The Bentley book electrical diagrams show the mileage counter box for each of the model years.

Your CA '77 was originally equipped with one of these boxes. It was also originally equipped with a catalytic converter. According to Ratwell, it is normal for the CAT light to be absent and a piece of tape over the socket in '77.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat was late 1975 I think on bays. 1977 has no light for the cat, only egr. Box is behind front left kick panel. If you have one long speedo cable it has been removed. They don't look for it. They will check to make sure your fuel restrictor is good. The bird's beak will be busted with the ring probably in the tank. If you start looking someone can find you the metal style restrictor but beware they make filling the bus a PITA. You have to fill slow.

I have a 1977 CA bus that has been restored so I know what you are going thru. If you have any questions PM me.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche bus...Okay, I took another look at the Bentley wiring diagram for my year, and then I see the counter symbol on the line diagram. Didn't see that before! Thanks for your help! It does look like the EGR circuit with counter (F27, Track 29) and the CAT lamp (K21, Track 29) are wired together into the EGR counter circuit. So, by this I take it that when the counter 'dings', both lamps illuminate, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Yet, that would explain why there is typically only one lamp installed. Maybe the CAT lamp socket was applied for predicted future use... Question

Idea I will study the Ratwell link you posted, and go on from there.

SGKent...Thanks for the insight for the smog test. Here's where I got lucky: I found the replacement 'bird's beak' filling neck in the parts that came with the bus. No VW part number on it, but still pliable so I installed it. Nothing was in the tank, but the old one was broken up like you alluded to. I also bought the new neck from Bus Depot about two months ago before I knew I had one in the pile=o=parts, but the BD one was plain; no bird's beak...no way that would pass CARB smog test. I suppose I could use it the '73 if that new one ever fails. Super lucky and real glad I found this NOS part with the bus!! Shocked
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that helped. Yeah, I think the CAT lamp must have been anticipated as a requirement but something changed and it was eliminated.

According to Ratwell, the box used in '76 had separate counters/circuits for EGR and CAT so both lights were used. However, my mid/late '76 has a box with a single counter/circuit, which I believe is what you have in your '77. Ratwell points out that the CAT light wasn't used in '77 or '78, then changed to an OXS light in '79, so it seems the CAT light had a very short life span!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 22

Jump to: