Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
RatCamper wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
RatCamper wrote:
May I just add that this is applicable to U.S. models only and other variants may be seen elsewhere.

US and Canada models actually Wink

I didn't realise and in all honesty am slightly surprised.

What surprises me is why the UK and rest of the VW Bus market didn't get one. They're bulletproof when they're running right and maintained.

We got the type 4. It was an option. We got FI too but I think it was later and a lot rarer. I have personally never seen an FI bus. To put a little perspective on that I used to help out at an ACVW mechanic for fun. A nice side effect was access to tools and massive discounts / freebies. So I've seen a few motors.
Even 10 years ago I had a really hard time finding parts for it.

Worth noting too is that the Australian market seems to be out of synch. I'm assuming it's because they were were ikea buses so the manufacture + shipping + assembly (+ too many / not enough of a part) led to this phenomenon.
For example. my bus (I still feel wrong about calling it that. It was a panelvan, and became a campervan. Where's the bus in that?) as near as I can tell was assembled on 9/75. But it had a 003 and a dual carb 1800 type 4.
None of the wiring diagrams I have match it quite right, but earlier ones seem closer. The steering column and quite a bit of other stuff seems to be '75 whereas other parts seem to be '74. Of course, all this is by U.S. information obtained here.

I find this thread interesting because of the sheer "What's that thing!?" factor, like the smog pump for example. Don't much care for that but I would have loved the pulley and bracket Laughing
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In South Africa, the type 4- engined version of baywindow was most popular.

The type 1 version was available optionally as a cheaper alternative, and often used around towns, (low speed limit areas), by state organizations like the railways.

The baywindows and "Vanagon" type 4's here had twin carbs and heat exchangers similar to US 72- 74 type, as there were no emission regulations.
Fuel injection was never available locally on the type 4 engined kombis.
The "Vanagon" was never available locally with the weaker type 1 engine. Initially they had the 2L aircooled, and 1.9 , 2.1 wbx, and Audi 5 cylinder followed later.

The 411 and 412 cars were also locally assembled from ckd kits ex Germany around 1969-1975. The basic version had a 1700 twincarb 68 hp engine, and the fuel injected 1700 80 hp was also available for these cars.
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1975 Kombi wrote:
The dip stick hole thing is a mystery. I know the 80-83 CV motor relocated the dip stick but the fan shroud is totally different. Must be off the 914 or one of those.

porsche type-4's had the dip stick on top
& is the number 1 clue to know if you have a "bus" type-4 engine or a "porsche" type-4 engine
vanogon engines have a different shape and connection for the
breather (or pcv valve as some people call it)

the original dual carbs on 72-74 had slight changes
in the air-cleaner and misc parts, since im a fi kind of guy
does anybody have pics and info of the changes

everything you need to know about the exhaust

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=292923&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

EGR...
72-73 with a 1700 have egr ports on the heads
all the other years do not (i think)

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw76westy wrote:
1975 Kombi wrote:
The dip stick hole thing is a mystery. I know the 80-83 CV motor relocated the dip stick but the fan shroud is totally different. Must be off the 914 or one of those.

& is the number 1 clue to know if you have a "bus" type-4 engine or a "porsche" type-4 engine

Wellllll my type 4 is from a Porsche. Twisted Evil

I love this thread!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
vw76westy wrote:
1975 Kombi wrote:

I love this thread!

lucky you, that means once your driving again, you get to go faster than the rest of use with "slow" VW motors.... Rolling Eyes Razz
Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:
vw76westy wrote:
1975 Kombi wrote:

I love this thread!

lucky you, that means once your driving again, you get to go faster than the rest of use with "slow" VW motors.... Rolling Eyes Razz
Laughing

Laughing actually, the noticable speed difference is my factory racing stripes. Oh and my rebuild will supposedly cost a $hitload more than bus type 4, according to my shop.

Since this is a thread about type 4's, wanna talk about typical problems that require rebuilds? Or problems/things to check out when rebuilding?
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Laughing

it means the motor is geared for high rpm & low torq
ideal for a lightweight porsche

but far from it, in a heavy bus which is set up
for low rpm & high torq

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw76westy wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Laughing

it means the motor is geared for high rpm & low torq
ideal for a lightweight porsche

but far from it, in a heavy bus which is set up
for low rpm & high torq

Porsche 2.0 Type 4 engine puts out more torque than the bus engine at 2-400 rpm further up the band. It also hits its hp peak almost 700 rpm up the band.

A Porsche 2.0 will have a perfectly fine time in a bus if the driver remembers to hang in the lower gear an additional 5-7 mph in the 3-4th shift. Don't even bother in 1st.
Colin
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Since this is a thread about type 4's, wanna talk about typical problems that require rebuilds? Or problems/things to check out when rebuilding?

Go for it. Most obvious one would be bad/cracked/collapsed valves from over heating, poor maintenance or cheap parts.

New 2.0 AMC Head after being sent to Boston Bob:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need a couple of those soon....i wish i had a job...Sad Crying or Very sad

206-841-7324
[email protected]
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that. Those were one of the first things I bought when I landed my last job. They were around $700 I think.
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wrenchman12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Type 4 altenator Reply with quote

Seeing that I just replaced the altenator on my 73 1700 Rivieria camper I will add..

That most type 4, baywindow buses came with a 55amp altenator...

While campers or buses that included a BA6 heater got an upgrade to a 70 amp altenator.. :2gunfire:
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing a T1 into a T4 bus
(For those who can't handle the awesomeness of a T4 Wink Cool )

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483408&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
60vwnewengland wrote:

Last edited by thewalrus on Mon May 07, 2012 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Calibeachbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: WTB type 4 engine Reply with quote

I need a 2.0l for my '74 Westy; replacing a 1600 previous owner put in. Anyone have a recommendation for a reliable vendor that provides a warranty? I want a solid engine done right and willing to pay for the reliability. Thanks!
*Awesome thread by the way!
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were closer I'd build one for you Laughing Make sure the '74 has an arm for the air filter and hole for the computer or you're going to do a lot of hacking too. As for buying a 2.0L and throwing it in there, why not buy a core here in the classifieds and build it up? That'll be cheaper in the long run and you'll familiarize yourself with the engine. Between the Samba and the Bentley manual everything you need to know about install and building it is readily available.
60vwnewengland wrote:
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 4 Breather Box Valve Thread

An extensive break down about the breather box and it's overall importance to the health and longevity of your T4
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...;start=120
60vwnewengland wrote:
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common Fuel Vapor System Leaks

60vwnewengland wrote:
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'75 -'78 Exhaust Support Brackets

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511685
60vwnewengland wrote:
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this been sticky'd yet? amazing information

206-841-7324
[email protected]
BumbleBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:

Hey thewalrus thanks for this thread it's great!! Wondering... pretty sure I need 1,6 & 7 based on gas leaking upon filling up Cool ... can't seem to find an online vendor that would have those parts. Any leads? Thanks!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 22

Jump to: