Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wildthings"]
pgtips wrote:
Interesting information, a lot more inside than I ever realised.

but will likely not last as long if you like to cruise at 75 MPH all day.

That's bullshit! If any VW type 4 is built correctly and is balance they will last the same- 1.7,1.8 or 2.0L. All should have new AMC correctly rebuilt heads if you are going to rebuild any engine.

I drive mine regularly at 75mph....
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bleyseng"]
Wildthings wrote:
pgtips wrote:

That's bullshit! If any VW type 4 is built correctly and is balance they will last the same- 1.7,1.8 or 2.0L. All should have new AMC correctly rebuilt heads if you are going to rebuild any engine.

If 2.0L never had a problem with overheating when running highway speeds why are you recommending modified aftermarket heads and from your signature you are also running a non stock cam with possibly a non stock exhaust?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
pgtips wrote:

I'm going to call you on that one. If you take two identical engines, with one having a longer stroke, and spin them around a billion times at 4,600 RPM, the engine with the longer stroke is going to fail first. When the pistons have to travel that much further, they're going to put that much more strain on the bearings, case, crank, and rods. Even if JR built your CS with his legendary balancing, you're still saying basic physics don't apply. Yes they do.

Now, if your 2.0 is geared lower than the 1.8, all bets are off because you're no longer comparing apples to apples. VW geared their 2.0 buses lower for this reason. So to travel 75 all day both the 1.8 and the 2.0 are happy, because they're in the sweet spots of their power bands.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would my auto box (mines got the early auto box, 003) have any limitations or bearing on possible changes.

I'm not after higher speed top end, its fine, its the getting up an incline loaded thats what i would like to improve, less strain on the engine with constant stop start loaded up but of course i can't control the box, its auto.

PG

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wireless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have enough time at present to read all 12 pages, but as I currently have a 412LS Variant with a CB Code 1700 fitted, complete with oil bath filter, and also have a 1600 1976 Bay Window, plus a spare AN Code 1800 Engine, I plan to eventually fit the 1700 in the Bay.

I'm sure there's going to be several issues and it won't be a straight swap from the 412 to the Bay, first I'm thinking is the changes I might have to make to enable the engine to mate with the existing Bay gearbox, plus changes in engine supports, plus the tin ware appears to suit a 412, not a Bay.

I will read the thread eventually, but if anyone has any rapid insights in how to achieve this engine swap I'd be happy to receive them, thanks.

Wayne Faulkner
Shrewsbury, England, UK
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wireless wrote:
I plan to eventually fit the 1700 in the Bay.

Read this thread backwards: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483408 Razz

It covers the opposite of what you want to do so whatever it says do the opposite Laughing Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Laughing

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this lever back here? Nothing is hooked to it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: The Type 4 Engine thread Reply with quote

that lever allows exhaust gas to mix, it usually gets opened/closed by
link to the throttle arm.
It (the exhaust feed) is probably plugged. Hopefully.
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an EGR valve but have no idea what actuated it
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another thread but some real good info:

Vanapplebomb wrote:
LCOX wrote:
What's the difference between VW air cooled type 2 and type 4 engines? Can they both be used in VW buses and Porsche 914 as well?

In the mid/late 60's the head of VW, Heinrich Nordhoff, began work on a larger upscale passenger car (411) and a sporty mid engine vehicle in partnership with Porsche which was to become the 914. Nordhoff lived to see the introduction of the 411 in 1968, but sadly the 914 was not introduced until after his passing. The original plan was for Porsche to do a lot of the cassis design while VW was to use ins manufacturing expertise to develop a way to produce the car economically. Fortunately the 914 was completed, but because the new management at VW wouldn't cooperate as Nordhoff intended, the introduction of the 914 was delayed and it cost a good deal more than anticipated. A new engine was developed for these vehicles dubbed the Type 4 for its first use in the 411. After it's 1st year in production the 1.7 was making an honest 80HP.

The engine was a lot beefier in construction than the T1 was, which was useful for loading up at higher rated powers in the tall gears of the 411 and 914. This same structural soundness made it an appealing alternative for use in the bus. Come 1972, a modified (some call it detuned) version of the 1.7 with lower compression and a few other minor changes was prepared and introduced for use in the bus. This version of the engine continued in production until mid '83 in the Vanagon with some minor modifications.

It is interesting to note that the increase in displacement always appeared first in the sporty versions of the engine, and the more mild bus version followed suit at a later date. While they were producing the '72 1.7 for the bus, the 2.0 was being developed for the 914, but it took three years after its introduction for the 2.0 to find its way into bus applications. The 914 made 95 hp, but the bus version topped out at 67hp. Same is true of the 1.8 which showed up in '73 412s and 914s topping out at 85hp while the bus 1.8 followed a year later in '74 with (again) a modest 67hp.

So, yes, the engines will interchange mechanicaly from vehicle to vehicle without issue. That said, the two different styles of engines won't play well with each other. Putting a high compression 411/412 or 914 engine in a bus sounds like a hot running dog of a vehicle. Putting a bus engine into a 411/412 or 914 will pull great down low but run out of gas up top and will be sluggish in comparison due to the lack of power. Cams were also different for different applications. The 1.8 bus engines made a gobs of torque at a little over 2k while the european 412 with dual Solex 40 PDSIT carbs would wiz right up to 5 grand easy. They are totally different animals, and should be treated as such.

60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
pgtips wrote:

I'm going to call you on that one. If you take two identical engines, with one having a longer stroke, and spin them around a billion times at 4,600 RPM, the engine with the longer stroke is going to fail first. When the pistons have to travel that much further, they're going to put that much more strain on the bearings, case, crank, and rods. Even if JR built your CS with his legendary balancing, you're still saying basic physics don't apply. Yes they do.

Now, if your 2.0 is geared lower than the 1.8, all bets are off because you're no longer comparing apples to apples. VW geared their 2.0 buses lower for this reason. So to travel 75 all day both the 1.8 and the 2.0 are happy, because they're in the sweet spots of their power bands.

Robbie

That's on paper analyzing.
In the real world over the years a 914/412 engine lasted about 150,000-200,000 miles before it needed rebuilding. In a heavy bus, a type 4 engine lasted about 100,000-150,000.
The miles slowly kills the heads, valve guides wear out, cracks develop in the heads, seats are pounded into the heads and recess while the bearings slowly get pounded/worn out. In a heavier bus the extra weight does it faster.
This is saying all engine were serviced regularly with quality oil and filters. That is my experience having been around air cooled since 1968. I have also seen a lot of buses die at 50-75,000 miles due to lack of servicing mostly lack of oil changes and valve adjustments resulting in the dreaded dropped valve seats.
Yes, VW did take into account gear ratios etc to keep the engine spinning at it's sweet spot of 4200 rpms at the normal causing speed of 70mph. Also we in the US we had to drive a 55 mph for many years but once on the open highway who did....not me with a radar detector.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

That's on paper analyzing.

Agreed, decades ago the Union Pure Oil Performance Tests listed such things as pistons speeds and IIRC piston travel per mile (both partially stroke related) for new cars with the idea that the piston speed correlated to wear and thus how long an engine would last. By the mid sixties at least this theory had been pretty well disproven. In the long run things like rod ratios have probably proven more critical to engine life than stroke.

FWIW a Type 4 engine with a 66/71 mm stoke will far out last a Type 1 engine with a 66 mm stoke and a WBXer engine with a 76mm(?) stroke will outlast either, once the rod bolts have been changed out at least. There are just many things more important to engine life than just stroke by itself.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
What is this lever back here? Nothing is hooked to it.

the resistor block and double relay should be mounted to your firewall, not laying on the engine tin, and one of the securing screws holds the ground wire to the fuel pump down too, so i would figure out why those arnt connected, assuming you havent already replaced those parts to their proper locations.... Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBajaTruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Supplier's for Type 4 engine cases Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a reputable supplier for Type 4 engine cases?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new sources of T4 cases. There are still a lot of good old ones out there. Chances are you won't have to line bore it, but do measure the bearing bores to be certain. If they are out of round send the case out to get bored for the next oversize bearings.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
VWBajaTruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
No new sources of T4 cases. There are still a lot of good old ones out there. Chances are you won't have to line bore it, but do measure the bearing bores to be certain. If they are out of round send the case out to get bored for the next oversize bearings.

Appreciated...
Channing81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to SGKent for finding this, you can get new cases directly from VW. Not cheap, but possible.

SGKent wrote:
Channing81 wrote:
Would a VW dealer be the source for a new case? Is it a universal case for all Type 4's. Thanks

I don't differ with BusDaddy on this. It is a hard decision for someone who wants it done right. The next used case could be better or worse. That is why I would not pay high dollar for a used case unless the seller is known to buy back parts that are no good. There are many cases out there stamped GEX that have different sides to them - meaning two different cases made into one.

You and your machinist did what was needed to do it right. Your cheapest option is to run it as is and know it won't last for another 100,000 miles. When is unknown. The saddle appears to be collapsing. Make sure everything gets balanced as something beat it to death.

The next option is to align bore. It is not optimal but it is the next possible solution. My engine was alignbored. I would not do it again as T4 alignbores aren't as common and precise as T1 boring.

The next option is a new case. $1844 USD plus shipping from Germany which is not as bad as you might think. Downside is that it may have both the dipstick on top and in front, with VW using one part fits all for buses, T4 and 914's etc. This is the most expensive path. Choose wisely. It may not be worth the price unless you want a perfect engine. These are 40 year old cars. You might also ask Adrian what he would do.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Type 4 Crankcase Reply with quote

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/022101025K/

http://autopartmaster.com/en/?action=catalog_part&...ype=retail

http://www.paruzzi.com/vwcp/022101025K

http://www.volkswagen-classicparts.de/bestand/index_e.html
1. Access without prior registration
2. Enter: Part Number 022101025K
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 22

Jump to: