Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BumbleBus wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hey thewalrus thanks for this thread it's great!! Wondering... pretty sure I need 1,6 & 7 based on gas leaking upon filling up Cool ... can't seem to find an online vendor that would have those parts. Any leads? Thanks!!!

Your '72 didn't use any of these parts and the part you actually need is not readily available. There are work arounds though.
BumbleBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Your '72 didn't use any of these parts and the part you actually need is not readily available. There are work arounds though.

Thanks Wildthings.. love me my '72 and it's one offs. Laughing Rolling Eyes I'll search around for alternatives. Don't like gas splashing all over my hot tranny. Shocked
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BumbleBus wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Thanks Wildthings.. love me my '72 and it's one offs. Laughing Rolling Eyes I'll search around for alternatives. Don't like gas splashing all over my hot tranny. Shocked

Never actually done this on a '72, but I think you would need to get a #7 off of a '76 or later bus, or have a piece of tubing bent for you at a muffler shop. You would then want to acquire two #6's, one for each end of you new made/found #7. You could also use pieces of fuel filler hose from your local FLAPS instead of buying the two #6's.

Other may have better ideas.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a techniccal question: has anyone tried 7/8" ( 22.225 mm ) dishwasher / garbage disposal drain hose as a substitute for the apparently unobtainable 21 mm hose from the breather box to the S boot?

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
a techniccal question: has anyone tried 7/8" ( 22.225 mm ) dishwasher / garbage disposal drain hose as a substitute for the apparently unobtainable 21 mm hose from the breather box to the S boot?

I think that is what I used on one of my Bays. Haven't put many miles on it to date.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BumbleBus wrote:
pretty sure I need 1,6 & 7 based on gas leaking upon filling up Cool ... can't seem to find an online vendor that would have those parts. Any leads? Thanks!!!

The best quality repo for the fuel filler neck (#1) is here:

http://www.bus-boys.com/
Filler Neck Elbow, Upper, 1974 All, 1975 to 1978 FED MODEL
211-201-119 $18.15

Original VW left, Bus Boys repo right:

Ratwell had a hell of a topic going on each suppliers repo and a breakdown of which was the best fit but unfortunately the pictures he linked have all gone dead:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=275048&highlight=fuel+filler
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this picture is not right for all years:

the Y labeled B is down under the blue block just above and to the right of the distributor

the Aux air regulator ( where G meets F ) is in the bend of H ( breather box hose )

the decel valve looks very different

on my '77

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

72-79 Bus Engine Removal (Per Ratwell)

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineRemoval.html
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baywindow Guide to Upgrades (Per Ratwell)

Awesome reference guide to updating not only your T4 engine but, some other antiquated aspects of your late bay. I've done a few and trust me, they're worth it!

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EssentialUpgrades.html
60vwnewengland wrote:

Last edited by thewalrus on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
My own 2.0L is a bit of a mystery to me. Right off the bat I'm going to say that it is NOT the original 2.0L. It's a hodge-podge of '70's F.I. components but it IS supposed to be a 2.0L engine. The M-Code proves it's not a PO install:

M-Code:
52 089 363

J2R152 D02 148 227 508

07 5 7256 UP 2218 61

Deciphered

Chassis/VIN:

The M-Code goes against a lot of info saying that the introduction of the 2.0L was in August '75 ('76 Model year). I'm going to grab my buddys VIN and M-Code out of his February '75 Westfalia next time I see him and see if that sheds any light on mine

Did some further investigating on this and grabbed the M-Code off my friends '75 Westfalia. This is the breakdown of his bus:

The manufacture date is January 31, 1975 and it came with a 1.8 F.I meaning our busses were made 14 days apart!
60vwnewengland wrote:
hamid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: rebuilding 2L fuel injection engine Reply with quote

Hi
I have a 78 bus camper. it has a 2L with good compressions with dual weber 44. I just took it over interstate 5 to Sierra mountain in California and on 6% incline at 47-50 in third gear doing well. could not go any faster. outside temp 30 degrees centigrade( 86 F) and the oil temp steady at 220F. is this good, bad or ugly?

now i Have purchased another 78 bus for parting. it has a complete fuel injection engine that needs rebuilding. it was cheaper and I could never find all the fuel injection parts so compete. my question: is it doable to rebuild this engine as a high performance and maintain the fuel injection or I am ignorant? and if it is possible what are the parameters and special things that needs to be done? is the stock rebuilt Fuel injection engine going to give a better performance than what I have on described above? and who is a good fellow in southern cal who knows what he is doing. all suggestion are appreciated. thanks
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: rebuilding 2L fuel injection engine Reply with quote

hamid wrote:
my question: is it doable to rebuild this engine as a high performance and maintain the fuel injection or I am ignorant?

"High performance"... No. Stock. Yes! The more fuel you can give your engine in the way it was designed the better.

Personally, I'd roll what you have now and build up complete and rebuilt 2.0 Fuel Injection system. The results will absolutely amaze you no question!
60vwnewengland wrote:
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: rebuilding 2L fuel injection engine Reply with quote

hamid wrote:
Hi
I have a 78 bus camper. it has a 2L with good compressions with dual weber 44. I just took it over interstate 5 to Sierra mountain in California and on 6% incline at 47-50 in third gear doing well. could not go any faster. outside temp 30 degrees centigrade( 86 F) and the oil temp steady at 220F. is this good, bad or ugly?

now i Have purchased another 78 bus for parting. it has a complete fuel injection engine that needs rebuilding. it was cheaper and I could never find all the fuel injection parts so compete. my question: is it doable to rebuild this engine as a high performance and maintain the fuel injection or I am ignorant? and if it is possible what are the parameters and special things that needs to be done? is the stock rebuilt Fuel injection engine going to give a better performance than what I have on described above? and who is a good fellow in southern cal who knows what he is doing. all suggestion are appreciated. thanks

For the best performance engine build a Camper Special. Raby 9550 cam/lifters, new 94mm pistons, valve train kit and new HAM amc heads with larger 42x36 valves.
95hp/120ftlbs of torque plus cooler CHT's so you can run a day without worry. Yeah big hills will slow you down but you can drive at 70 over all most all stuff and get 20mpg using the Ljet.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hamid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot for your tips. do I( my mechanic) have to do anything else with transmission etc. I was reading about the freeway flyer trans from Rancho.
of course the cost is also important. the present transmission is rebuilt and is good. and please educate me what is Raby 9550? thank you.
hamid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bleyseng

I talked to the mechanic and he says yes that could be done but then it will not pass the somg test due to the incereased emmison etc and the catalytic convertor is not able to handle it. it makes sense what is your opinion? thanks.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome T4 in a Fastback at a local show recently:

60vwnewengland wrote:
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydraulic and Non-Hydraulic Lifters Adjustment Stickers

(From my buddies '75 1800 F.I.)

(From the first page)
Philo Beddoe wrote:

60vwnewengland wrote:
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
Awesome T4 in a Fastback at a local show recently:

this photo above is a fuel injected type 3 engine, not a type 4. completely different engine in every way. i agree that's it's a very nice looking engine.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
this photo above is a fuel injected type 3 engine, not a type 4. completely different engine in every way

My bad. You're right. d'oh!

I've always been jealous of the design of the T3 over the T4 or even T1 in that the T3 engine bay doesn't need to be completely sealed up like a bus or bus does.
60vwnewengland wrote:
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
germansupplyscott wrote:
this photo above is a fuel injected type 3 engine, not a type 4. completely different engine in every way

My bad. You're right. d'oh!

I've always been jealous of the design of the T3 over the T4 or even T1 in that the T3 engine bay doesn't need to be completely sealed up like a bug or bus does.

fixed that for ya Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: