Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
my 74 tangerine westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 1800 cc for rebuild the other day I have it so I stripped it down and removed all the nuts and I`m trying to split the case but it just doesn't want to go any suggestions? I don't have a case splitter tool
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 74 tangerine westy wrote:
I got a 1800 cc for rebuild the other day I have it so I stripped it down and removed all the nuts and I`m trying to split the case but it just doesn't want to go any suggestions? I don't have a case splitter tool

You've missed a fastener somewhere. Check very carefully before you start prying!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293814&highlight=splitting+case

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
my 74 tangerine westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I got the case split lets talk lifters what are the advantages to going hydrolic besides no more valve ajstments. Is it mostly personal preferance or dose it help with preformence?
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still need to do valve adjustments, they are just quieter. As for performance I find them to give you slightly less performance. New correct valve springs, pushrods and solid spacers are needed besides a matched cam and lifter set.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I got the case split lets talk lifters what are the advantages to going hydrolic besides no more valve ajstments. Is it mostly personal preferance or dose it help with preformence?

For hydraulics to work well you need to keep the engine super clean inside. If you run dyno oil and tend to forget to do oil changes then hydraulics are not for you. Of course if you run solids and don't do valve adjustments often enough either then solids are not for you either. Hydraulics don't need frequent valve adjustments, if the heads are well build an adjustment every 50K or more miles should be fine. As Bleyseng noted you need the correct valve springs, pushrods, and rocker spacers.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

For hydraulics to work well you need to keep the engine super clean inside. If you run dyno oil and tend to forget to do oil changes then hydraulics are not for you. Of course if you run solids and don't do valve adjustments often enough either then solids are not for you either. Hydraulics don't need frequent valve adjustments, if the heads are well build an adjustment every 50K or more miles should be fine. As Bleyseng noted you need the correct valve springs, pushrods, and rocker spacers.

come to think of it...if you dont maintain you cars every 1500-3000 miles, you should go with a civic.....Razz

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my 74 tangerine westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks by the way I'm very particular about servicing my bus
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks by the way I'm very particular about servicing my bus

this will serve you very well in the long run, and keep your bus on the road much longer. if you get it going, make a thread and post some pictures of the build, or of you using it etc...id love to watch you enjoy it! (i like following bus's from my seat Wink )

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydraulic lifters are for people who drive their bus daily. If you don't do that, don't get them. There is no performance difference between them and a stock mechanical cam. That being said, the options for a performance cam with solid lifters are there and non existent with hydraulics.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
Hydraulic lifters ...There is no performance difference between them and a stock mechanical cam.

This isn't really the thread for questions and debates, like any question that relates to a type 4 engine gets posted here? Seems like only solid info belongs here .... like the info on page 4 of this thread that says intake and exhaust have less duration and lift is greatly reduced with a hydraulic cam - which equates to less performance.

Quote:
Stock Mechanical
Intake lift 0.393
intake duration: 247
exhaust lift .368
exhaust duration: 242

IO: -3 BTDC
IC: 33 ABDC
EO: 31 BBDC
EC: -5 ATDC

ILC: 108
[email protected]: 210
ELC: 108
[email protected]: 206

Stock Hydraulic
Intake lift 0.333
intake duration: 227
exhaust lift .318
exhaust duration: 230

IO: -10 BTDC
IC: 26 ABDC
EO: 26 BBDC
EC: -10 ATDC

ILC: 108
[email protected]: 210
ELC: 108
[email protected]: 196
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:
Hydraulic lifters ...There is no performance difference between them and a stock mechanical cam.

This isn't really the thread for questions and debates, like any question that relates to a type 4 engine gets posted here? Seems like only solid info belongs here .... like the info on page 4 of this thread that says intake and exhaust have less duration and lift is greatly reduced with a hydraulic cam - which equates to less performance.

The hydraulics have no lash, so they actually have comparable lift and duration in the real world. They also have steeper ramps for crisper opening because they don't have to "dampen" the lift...

My hydraulic 2000 in the BobD is pretty darn sprightly, by cracky.
Colin
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
nathansnathan wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:

The hydraulics have no lash, so they actually have comparable lift and duration in the real world. They also have steeper ramps for crisper opening because they don't have to "dampen" the lift...

Colin

The valve lash is only .006 and that is cold. Plus, wiht the expansion rates of the stock push rod material, you lose power at temperature with hydraulic, and gain it with solid. I can't think of any objective factors that would be in favor of a hydraulic cam's performance.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
nathansnathan wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:

Colin

The valve lash is only .006 and that is cold. Plus, wiht the expansion rates of the stock push rod material, you lose power at temperature with hydraulic, and gain it with solid. I can't think of any objective factors that would be in favor of a hydraulic cam's performance.

Hydraulics stay in adjustment for a wide temperature range and automatically account for wear. The only place where they don't do as well is at very high rpm's, well above what most people run there engines at, or with radical cam profiles. Few people get more than 150K out of a solid lifter engine before they lose a valve because they have missed an adjustment or three, where as hydraulic lifter engines will go 300K or more.

It amazes me that people have to have a Pertronix module so that they don't have to learn how change out and properly set points once ever 20K miles or so, but find solid lifters (which they have to deal with every few thousand miles or they will waste out an engine) superior to hydraulic lifters. This from a guy who has 250K miles with solid lifters since his last rebuild/head work.

IMHO most people should be running hydraulic lifters combined with synthetic oils, sadly the fewer times most people have to put a wrench to their engine the better.
MightyMicroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Type 4 F.I. Thread? Reply with quote

I found a Type 4 (only) fuel injection thread on The Samba a few weeks ago. The browser tab closed and I can't find it again through search for some reason. Can anybody point me to it?

Thanks,

Bill
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 F.I. Thread? Reply with quote

MightyMicroBus wrote:
I found a Type 4 (only) fuel injection thread on The Samba a few weeks ago. The browser tab closed and I can't find it again through search for some reason. Can anybody point me to it?

Thanks,

Bill

Welcome Bill,
Was it the "I need help with fuel injection" thread by any chance? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482560

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
nathansnathan wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
nathansnathan wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:

Colin

Hydraulics stay in adjustment for a wide temperature range and automatically account for wear. The only place where they don't do as well is at very high rpm's, well above what most people run there engines at, or with radical cam profiles. Few people get more than 150K out of a solid lifter engine before they lose a valve because they have missed an adjustment or three, where as hydraulic lifter engines will go 300K or more.

It amazes me that people have to have a Pertronix module so that they don't have to learn how change out and properly set points once ever 20K miles or so, but find solid lifters (which they have to deal with every few thousand miles or they will waste out an engine) superior to hydraulic lifters. This from a guy who has 250K miles with solid lifters since his last rebuild/head work.

IMHO most people should be running hydraulic lifters combined with synthetic oils, sadly the fewer times most people have to put a wrench to their engine the better.

My experience is that hydro cam don't last as long as the lifters are always in contact with the cam so it wears out faster. Yes, solids rev higher than hydro lifters. I also think that the valve seats get pounded more with hydros as the valve springs are heavier rate of spring and the ramps are steeper.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup...pretty much what Jake has been professing for at least ten years.
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1700cc, solids, pertronix, baby Dells, regular valve and maintanence checks. 300K + miles. Still same cam and solids. Runs great!
my 74 tangerine westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I bought an AW core long block but now I also have an ED short block I want to put the ED code together but I have a couple of questions
1: how well does dual PDSIT's work on a originally injected engine?
2: If I wanted to how hard would it be to put a fuel injection system in a non injected bus?
3: How do you hook up the thermostat on type 4's?
4: is the injected cam different than a carbed cam stock?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 22

Jump to: