Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

canister purge diaphragm
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: canister purge diaphragm Reply with quote

There have been numerous threads over the years how to fix a perforated canister purge valve on an FI air cleaner.

While surfing yesterday I came across an aftermarket external purge valve at GOWESTY designed to go inline. The signal hose goes to it instead of the air cleaner, and the purge line goes to it then to the inlet on the air cleaner that can be permanently opened. https://gowesty.com/products/check-valve-for-charcoal-emission-canister-83-91
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: canister purge diaphragm Reply with quote

Very interesting, looks like a great fix if function is higher on your list than looks, and no worries about loss of vacuum advance.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: canister purge diaphragm Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Very interesting, looks like a great fix if function is higher on your list than looks, and no worries about loss of vacuum advance.

There are at least two different sized diaphragms on the air cleaner housings so it hardly would benefit a company to make them. They'd sell what, 3 units a year? I think Colin and some others have used Silicone RTV to repair theirs when they perforated. I am thinking that someone who just wants it to work and pass smog if in a smog state then the one at GOWESTY is a quick fix. Unless it is a museum piece, no one will really notice it. It is like the present PCV fix, a couple people flamed me when I suggested they could buy the real mccoy for $35 a piece when they work around was $15. So I bought both and will someday get my money back when someone wants a real mccoy. Most of the long time folks who were restoring buses close to stock are long gone. Mostly the questions these days come from newly started low cost daily driver restorations. The days of buses like this one below being worked on seem gone, or at least not posting. This was probably close to a $100,000 restoration when it was done. He even dunked it rather than media blasted it. It was a down under bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: canister purge diaphragm Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

There are at least two different sized diaphragms on the air cleaner housings so it hardly would benefit a company to make them. They'd sell what, 3 units a year? I think Colin and some others have used Silicone RTV to repair theirs when they perforated. I am thinking that someone who just wants it to work and pass smog if in a smog state then the one at GOWESTY is a quick fix. Unless it is a museum piece, no one will really notice it. It is like the present PCV fix, a couple people flamed me when I suggested they could buy the real mccoy for $35 a piece when they work around was $15. So I bought both and will someday get my money back when someone wants a real mccoy. Most of the long time folks who were restoring buses close to stock are long gone. Mostly the questions these days come from newly started low cost daily driver restorations. The days of buses like this one below being worked on seem gone, or at least not posting. This was probably close to a $100,000 restoration when it was done. He even dunked it rather than media blasted it. It was a down under bus.

Chrome bumpers? I know Champagne Editions had them here in The States. Were they used more commonly overseas?

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: canister purge diaphragm Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that. I’ll grab one for now, some people actually like when their vacuum advance works AND the garage doesn’t smell like gas. Cool

It looks a lot like the air-cooled Vanagon EEC valve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: canister purge diaphragm Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
Chrome bumpers? I know Champagne Editions had them here in The States. Were they used more commonly overseas?

Standard in Europe for the luxury versions - like my "Bus L" with lots of extra chrome inside and out.
(not standard at campers, because they are not based on the bus versions - they are based on the much more naked and simple transporters / Kombi)

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: canister purge diaphragm Reply with quote

I believe that purge valve is the same as the one in the CIS Rabbits etc. With that Go Westy part number (049-133-517) the item should be available from several sources.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: canister purge diaphragm Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:
I believe that purge valve is the same as the one in the CIS Rabbits etc. With that Go Westy part number (049-133-517) the item should be available from several sources.
The GoWesty valve looks the same or very similar to the one on our '84 Vanagon. They show it as up to '91, so I guess that makes sense... Think
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: canister purge diaphragm Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Thanks for posting that. I’ll grab one for now, some people actually like when their vacuum advance works AND the garage doesn’t smell like gas. Cool

It looks a lot like the air-cooled Vanagon EEC valve.
And now I need to take a hand held vacuum pump to mine to see if the valve even still works.... Embarassed Embarassed
Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: canister purge diaphragm Reply with quote

https://www.buslab.com/product-p/049133517.htm

buslab says it's the WBX charcoal valve (and OE VW is NLA)
also appears to have been on jetta and scirocco and im sure countless others

the GoWesty picture says Brasil

looks like JP Dansk makes it (man, they sure make a TON of old VW parts...)
https://www.aircooledshop.com/category-20/category...anguage=en

i'd probably trust them over brasil
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: