Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 westy luggage rack seal
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsavitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: 73 westy luggage rack seal Reply with quote

Hi - I am replacing the seals on my pop-top and luggage rack. I ordered the kit from GoWesty and I'm confused about the seal on the luggage rack. On the 73, the entire center portion of the luggage rack is open and you can see the roof. So if I were to use the seal as recommended by GoWesty, when it rains, there is no way for the water to drain and would just pool up on the roof. Am I missing something? When I took the luggage rack off, there were just two small sections of rubber seal (about 4 inches long) - one on either side, so water would drain pretty easily. I'm not sure how the luggage rack is supposed to mount/seal though. Let me know if anything is unclear and I can post pictures.

Thanks,
Brian
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 westy luggage rack seal Reply with quote

Westfalia didn't put any seal on the luggage rack on pre 74's, sellers saying you need one is a way to sell more seals.

The rack mounts on the rubber bumpers under the bolts and that's it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 westy luggage rack seal Reply with quote

bsavitch wrote:
Hi - I am replacing the seals on my pop-top and luggage rack. I ordered the kit from GoWesty and I'm confused about the seal on the luggage rack. On the 73, the entire center portion of the luggage rack is open and you can see the roof. So if I were to use the seal as recommended by GoWesty, when it rains, there is no way for the water to drain and would just pool up on the roof. Am I missing something? When I took the luggage rack off, there were just two small sections of rubber seal (about 4 inches long) - one on either side, so water would drain pretty easily. I'm not sure how the luggage rack is supposed to mount/seal though. Let me know if anything is unclear and I can post pictures.

Thanks,
Brian

My 1973 model-year, VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental has been in my immediate family since January 1975. The roof rack certainly didn't have any form of periphery seal when my father bought it second-hand, having been first registered in mid-November 1972.

In 1976, I made a flexible roof-rack cover out of black butyl-rubber, ornamental-pond liner, which was held in place by turn-button fasteners at the front, plus hooks, nylon cord or bungee cord and brass eyelets at the sides & rear.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 westy luggage rack seal Reply with quote

I have a 73 Westy.
It has "trim" around the luggage rack bottom.
It is not really a seal. The rack has rubber spacers that hold it up off the roof.

I put a light inside the rack.
I can clearly see the gap/light from under the trim, so no worries of it holding water.

Hope this helps.
Chuck
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 73 westy luggage rack seal Reply with quote

westyman71 wrote:
I have a 73 Westy.
It has "trim" around the luggage rack bottom.
It is not really a seal. The rack has rubber spacers that hold it up off the roof.

I put a light inside the rack.
I can clearly see the gap/light from under the trim, so no worries of it holding water.

Hope this helps.
Chuck

I have never seen any British specification 1968~73 VW Type 2 Westfalia motor-caravan with any form of trim around the bottom of the rear-mounted GRP moulded roof-rack or on any other part of the roof-rack.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: