Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Review: GW Upper Door Lip Seal
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Review: GW Upper Door Lip Seal Reply with quote

I bought this little seal kit from GW a couple of weeks ago ($14.95) - installed it this weekend:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23590

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It works! Big difference on the wind noise. I always thought that the noise was due to the defroster and heat vents, as well as the windshield and the doors. What I found is that the sound level dropped significantly for me - to the point that when driving down the freeway, I closed all the vents and could hear just a bit of whistle through the baffles...where as before there was so much wind noise that it just got louder when I closed all the vents.

The other measuring stick for me was that I didn't have to turn up the volume on the stereo as loud as before (when driving down the freeway).

Now I want to find a source for the lower lip door seal that some of the 90/91 models have.

Installation is pretty easy - except that it is very tough to seat the seal between the main door seal and the bent over angle of the door. I found that if I inserted a credit card, pressed down against the main seal and then pushed the new seal in with the other hand/thumb, I was successful in getting the new seal in place. See here:

Let me know if you have any questions.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
Thebiggestfro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed this last weekend as well, but haven't actually driven my van yet. This makes me excited to drive it though!
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, nice review and good install tip. Did you use any sealant for yours? I ended up trimming mine a few inches as I couldn't access the lowest part of the seal between the frame & door.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sealant. Once in place, the pressure from the main door seal holds in place very nicely. Yes, the seal is longer than you need - I used the GW photos as a guide to where I should stop and trim the seal.

- John Wooden
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the GoWesty link says vans up to 97 did not have this, Rockfish, I thought you had an 89 Westy, was your van missing it or you just replaced the old one?

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing.

GW doesn't have a replacement.

Any ideas?

- John Wooden
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant the seal, not the sealant, was your Westy missing the seal?

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine wont stay in place i think i need to adjust my doors, i find mine hanging loose inside quite often
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad: Yes - missing the lower front door (exterior) seals. I called GW today - the part is definitely NLA. And so far, they have not found a replacement. And I did not have the upper seals either!

BTW - the GW price, believe it or not, is far lower than what other vendors are asking just for the upper seals. Most sites have the upper seals listed for $40+!

GBA: It takes a lot of work to get the seal seated in between the door metal and the existing door seal. Between the credit card and using your thumb to push, you're hands will get a little sore. I found working on sections 1" at a time is best - not to try and do whole thing at once. I had to go back and work on a couple of sections on the first side. Learned my lesson so that the second side has stayed in place pretty well. If it isn't fixed by mid/late July, I'll be at Hedding Camp/Exeter/Portsmouth around 7/20 or so...

- John Wooden
Darren2dream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been interested in this trim because I love to reduce wind noise but to be honest, I cant figure out how it would go on.
On my 84' the door trim which goes all around the door has a flap that appears to intentionally go over the metal edge that this new trim woud fit on to. Do I need to stuff the original door trim under the metal lip and then put this new one on? Is that were it's suppose to be already and my full door trim not installed correctly? I'm pretty sure the trim I have on my doors is the original... nothing leaks currently. Maybe I dont "need" this additional trim? Of course not but, if it makes it quieter inside, I'd like to give it a shot. Wondering if anyone else was thinking this same thing before I invest $14 Smile

here's what my existing door trim looks like:

On each corner, the full door trim doesn't cover the lip, wich makes me think while it covers most of the area, it wasn't meant to go over the metal lip?
Top corner for an example (I know this trim wouldn't cover this area but, it's easy to photograph):

shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been interested in this trim because I love to reduce wind noise but to be honest, I cant figure out how it would go on.
On my 84' the door trim which goes all around the door has a flap that appears to intentionally go over the metal edge that this new trim woud fit on to. Do I need to stuff the original door trim under the metal lip and then put this new one on?

x2 on that question -- I have the same problem on my passengers side door.

And not to be disagreeable with the review and the GW marketing, but I honestly haven't felt like I noticed a difference in the wind noise with the seal I installed on the drivers side.

That said, I should also mention that I have recently replaced ALL other seals on the drivers side (a HUGE improvement!) and done sound deadening, so it's already fairly quiet. But I can't honestly say I noticed a difference when I installed this. It was also kind of a pain to install, so my satisfaction level is not very high with this project.
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seal doesn't run around the corners - it only runs on the diagonal side that parallels the wing window. Check the 2 photos above on the white Westy example - the seal starts (top) right at where the bent over edge curves back for the horizontal corner. Then the seal runs to the end of the diagonal run and is trimmed before the edge turns down/vertical by the door hinge.

I'll take pictures today and post.

- John Wooden
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Sorry, but I have no idea what I am looking at in the above picture. The others are too small. I have an 82 and I believe my door seal is also overlapping the door seam in front of the vent window. A couple extra pictures would be appreciated. Inquiring minds.
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, but I have no idea what I am looking at in the above picture. The others are too small. I have an 82 and I believe my door seal is also overlapping the door seam in front of the vent window. A couple extra pictures would be appreciated. Inquiring minds.

and a slightly better view of the card too, please; I would like to order some parts Very Happy
just kidding
Darren2dream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The seal doesn't run around the corners - it only runs on the diagonal side that parallels the wing window

Yup, I understand the portion of the door this trim is designed for but the existing full door trim on my 84' covers that area already. This makes me wonder if my existing full door trim should be tucked under the door's metal lip for this diagonal area of the door only so that this new trim would have a place to go. Effectively doubling the trim on that one angled side of the door...

I guess I'm thinking that there is little way this new trim would really improve the wind noise much from what's already installed since the existing trim includes a rubber channel that covers the edge of the door already.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this clear, this is the same seal like on the 90/91 vanagons? cause it makes a huge difference if this is something close to replacing those, I want these on my 86 and have a hard time finding donor parts.
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seal is on the 90/91 Vanagons, but is not the seal you are thinking of. This seal goes on the diagonal section, and is thin. You are refering to the seal that goes on the vertical section, and is much thicker, and NLA. I have transfered the seal mentioned here from a donor to my 1983 with no trouble attaching it, but I cannot vouch for the sound difference, as I did a few other sound reducing updates at the same time.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[GBA: It takes a lot of work to get the seal seated in between the door metal and the existing door seal. Between the credit card and using your thumb to push, you're hands will get a little sore. I found working on sections 1" at a time is best - not to try and do whole thing at once. I had to go back and work on a couple of sections on the first side. Learned my lesson so that the second side has stayed in place pretty well. If it isn't fixed by mid/late July, I'll be at Hedding Camp/Exeter/Portsmouth around 7/20 or so...[/quote]

very cool i will try it as you said with a credit card did you use any sealant or adhesive?, hey man drop me a line or PM when you come out this way i live in exeter NH who knows you may need a friendly contact for spare parts, work space or just coffee maybe we can just cruise the beach with the vans ...there are few samba members that live in the area also with varying expertise...safe travels & best wishes
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
So let me get this clear, this is the same seal like on the 90/91 vanagons? cause it makes a huge difference if this is something close to replacing those, I want these on my 86 and have a hard time finding donor parts.

Its for the upper, angled portion of the front doors. I just ordered a set, having a big whistle on the PS in that region that's really p*ssing me off. I'll let you know what the effect is.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a set on Leap Day and haven't had a chance to install them. All of my door/window seals are original, so these might make a difference or it might just be pissin' in the wind until I replace everything. For $15 I figured why not.

With this being gale-force wind season in Colorado, I should know pretty quickly.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: