Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Review: GW Upper Door Lip Seal
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put these on today. I used contact cement under the little lip that goes between the existing
door seal and the doors edge. Also put some cement on the flat part of the seal where it will make
contact with the upper edge of the door. The seal will block the distance between the door and
the A collumn. I haven't tried out the van yet, want the cement to set first. I used a popsicle stick
with very little contact cement on the small grove and worked it in quickly. Also used a card
but found that my old drivers licence was thinner and easier to use than a credit card?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope the pics help?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Hmmm... Reply with quote

Joe, when you've got those in, I might lure you over here for a beer rendezvous, just so I can see how yours turned out. I've ordered 'em for Winston. I was thinking of getting REALLY SERIOUS on the adhesive and using that 3M Weatherstripping Adhesive I used to fix Winston's rear panel. THAT stuff grips and doesn't need a clean surface, and you can get it at NAPA.

The other thought was to use a plastic putty knife, instead of a credit card of any description. Parts ordered to pull Winston's luggage rack, clean, re-seal, and re-install as a preliminary to the new tent.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original seals are in place.. though worn a bit. No doubt in my mind these doubled seals help reduce wind noise (and drafts).

IIRC, Van Cafe sold this stuff in sections long enough to run from the the bottom of the window up over the top to the back. Thier website said "Cut in two.. One half each side"

Why wouldn't we do that? Use a longer single piece up and over the top corner and all the way back?

For years my passenger side main door seal whistled in cross winds 20mph+.. Replaced that seal and no more noise.. but it seems that this second "double" seal would help along the top, too.

Thoughts?

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some time to get these in this weekend. I used the credit card trick with much success (especially since the credit card really isn't good for anything else.)

While the original seal does roll over the top of the door a bit as mentioned earlier in this thread, when you pull it back and get the card in there, you'll have room to push in the GW seal.

I didn't use any adhesive; once in there, the seal holds tightly without it.

I noticed an immediate difference. In heavy cross winds like we have in Colorado this time of year, I used to get a lot of noise through there; now it's much, much quieter. I can actually hear some wind noise around my window seals now and can tell what else needs to be replaced.

Not bad for $15 and about twenty minutes of work.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I found some time to get these in this weekend. I used the credit card trick with much success (especially since the credit card really isn't good for anything else.)

While the original seal does roll over the top of the door a bit as mentioned earlier in this thread, when you pull it back and get the card in there, you'll have room to push in the GW seal.

I didn't use any adhesive; once in there, the seal holds tightly without it.

I noticed an immediate difference. In heavy cross winds like we have in Colorado this time of year, I used to get a lot of noise through there; now it's much, much quieter. I can actually hear some wind noise around my window seals now and can tell what else needs to be replaced.

Not bad for $15 and about twenty minutes of work.

Thanks for the report - I can't wait until mine get here. Wink

I replaced Dixie's window seals a few years ago - they made a really big difference to highway comfort.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onslowb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't trim the seal at the top and installed the remaining 6 inches or so along the top edge of the door. The seal does make a difference from not having it ....but not sure if it is any quieter than if I had trimmed it though. One thing I did learn is that it helps to wipe the inside of the seal with alcohol or similar where the adhesive goes otherwise the powder that is in there (from the manufacturing process??) prevents the seal from sticking to the door.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Upper Door Lip Seal that goes on the diagonal, did you guys start at the top corner and work down?

or from the bottom and work upwards?
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed the passenger side piece of this so far, and I used some stereo installation tools (little plastic pry-bars) instead of a credit-card - although that's a good idea too!

I haven't done driver's side yet, or tried anything, as my van is apart.

It took me about 30-minutes and some sore fingers to get this seated right, and i'm not 100% sure it'll stay in place. I didn't use any sealant/glue (yet).
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Just put these on today. I used contact cement under the little lip that goes between the existing
door seal and the doors edge. Also put some cement on the flat part of the seal where it will make
contact with the upper edge of the door. The seal will block the distance between the door and
the A collumn. I haven't tried out the van yet, want the cement to set first. I used a popsicle stick
with very little contact cement on the small grove and worked it in quickly. Also used a card
but found that my old drivers licence was thinner and easier to use than a credit card?

Hope the pics help?

Its been over two years since this post and they are still on and glued securely as on that day in 2012.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't use glue, and my driver's side one has become a bit tempermental with age; it comes loose every once in awhile. However, the passenger's side is still hanging in there. I need to glue them; it's worth it. With the driver's side one currently out, I can definitely tell a difference in noise.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
For the Upper Door Lip Seal that goes on the diagonal, did you guys start at the top corner and work down?

hello?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Merian wrote:

hello?

I started from the top and worked down using the credit card method.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much!
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what was the verdict on these seals. A see a couple posts saying big improvement, at least one saying none at all, and quite a few that were going to report back and never did.

Now that I'm not fixated on the sound of my transmission killing itself, I'm noticing that most of my wind noise seems to come from the upper portions of the doors. I'm thinking of throwing a set of these in on my next order.
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an '89 with these seals from the factory and an '85 without and the wind noise difference is significant. Granted, my window seals may not be as good in the '85 and the '89 has insulation in the back that the '85 doesn't but still, it makes a difference!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Darren2dream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put mine on two years ago, a few months after I put in new window seals all around.. I think I could take them or leave them without noticing.

That said, if you've identified wind noise from that area, try the seals, they wont likely make it any louder...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would miss mine. I did not notice any real difference, but seemed like a good idea at the time. If you want to test your window area, put some masking tape to mimic the seal on both sides and climb in through the sliding door. Take it for a road test and see if the tape makes a difference. If so, then you might see an improvement adding this seal.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice much of an improvement from them. I think I need to refresh the door seals, really.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Solrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought these several months ago and when I went to put them on my van I didn't realize it was an additional seal to the one already on there! Embarassed Guess I'll be attempting this project again this weekend.
Gone but not forgotten:
71 Super Beetle - Gretel
92 Jetta GL - Jerry
97 Passat TDI - Penny
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well perhaps I am just hearing newer window and door seals and attributing it to the upper seals making the difference in my vans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: