Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hershey Fall Meet
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
briancostello79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Hershey Fall Meet Reply with quote

I was curious as to if anyone has been to the car show/swap in Hershey, PA. Is there a big showing for VW/air-cooled? I saw on Chasing Classic Cars that the swap is pretty huge. What is the swap like for VW's? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.hersheyaaca.org/fallmeet.html
Beetle73.1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is usually 2-3 people with vw stuff, not a huge vw showing but I still go every year never know what you'll find. Always love the hunt:)
Stonefish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Beetle73.1 stated...not much VW stuff that is blatant. You can spot some random stuff in piles...there are some good literature dealers that have nice stuff.
As far as the show...I've shown some of my stuff there. VW's are the most common import on the show field. Recently, they (AACA) has lumped ALL VW's into one class...so they are all together in the "small car" class.

best days for the swap are wed-thurs. Alot of folks start packing up on Friday because a lot of them bail out Saturday because the show field is where most of the action is.

1965 Notchback SCCA/PHA prepared, 1966 Bus, 1968 Beetle, 1969 Bus, 1970 Squareback, 1971 Fastback, 1973 Thing, 1983 Rabbit LS, 1986 Cabriolet, 1987 Viper VW powered "A" Sports Racer, 1996 Harlequin Golf, 2001 Eurovan Weekender, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2007 Passat 4Motion wagon.
javabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a requirement for swappers to have at least one late-model VW hubcap and/or tail light lens.
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonefish wrote:
Like Beetle73.1 stated...not much VW stuff that is blatant. You can spot some random stuff in piles...there are some good literature dealers that have nice stuff....

We found some great VW parts at Hershey this year, mostly thanks to John from Pittsburgh.

Did anyone notice how the VW vendors were listed under "Velie" in the program?!

Stonefish wrote:
As far as the show...I've shown some of my stuff there. VW's are the most common import on the show field. Recently, they (AACA) has lumped ALL VW's into one class...so they are all together in the "small car" class.

This subject depresses me--and it appears others as well.

Ron, I counted *ONE* VW in the "small car class" this year--that positively SUCKS.

There was also, I think, one super-nice VW (Capri Blue '59 Bug from Maryland) in HPOF.

No, make that two VWs in HPOF--the other, of course, was Charlie's incredible '80s GTI.

Oh, and then I think I also saw Ted from Ohio's early Vanagon Camper in the DPC class.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this new car show class that lumps VWs in with other "small cars" is driving VW participation DOWNWARDS.

I was always very happy showing our VW in with all the other '54-'55 production cars in Class 27A...

On the other hand, with respect to the 2012 Hershey car show, it was great seeing Ron's super-kool "Superoo" race car, and also Charlie's superb HPOF GTI!
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans

Last edited by Stock Steve on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a single beetle and a vanagon camper. There was also another camper for sale in the swap meet section.
Stonefish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good seeing you Steve, as always!!

Yea...as long as they have that class located where they do, I think I'll pass on showing VW's at Hershey for a while. The 04b class needs to go away! I talked to another person that shows VW's there and they too want no part of being in the "small car" class! So, the combination of the class and its location at Hershey, probably had folks passing this year!

I did, however, have fun showing the Superoo this year. Next year I'd like to bring the Viper SR-1...if I still have it and I get it sorted out!

1965 Notchback SCCA/PHA prepared, 1966 Bus, 1968 Beetle, 1969 Bus, 1970 Squareback, 1971 Fastback, 1973 Thing, 1983 Rabbit LS, 1986 Cabriolet, 1987 Viper VW powered "A" Sports Racer, 1996 Harlequin Golf, 2001 Eurovan Weekender, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2007 Passat 4Motion wagon.
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of going to the swap meet tomorrow (October 10, 2013). Does anyone know if turnout will be affected by the rain they are calling for tomorrow? I'd imagine vendors plan for this well in advance, and will be prepared for the weather?
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty rainy this year for sure! But Saturday show day looked really nice, and the car show field seemed to be in pretty decent shape, considering everything. A highlight was seeing Stonefish with his beautiful red Rabbit Cabrio! In the "small car class,' I counted ONE VW--a very nice '57 or so Bug Convertible (how did you avoid getting stuck in that class, Stonefish?). I can only imagine how popular the new "VW only" class will be starting next year...
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: