Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Last Triumph Rides again - Because race car!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update of progress in three areas.

Firstly, a 'oval' switch panel has been fabricated from ally sheet and fits into the corner of the roof like a glove allowing me to keep the original oval dash as nature intended.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Secondly, rear hub carries have been designed and fabricated to work with the Corvette rear hubs and suspension design. Don't want these moving around under the combination of 500bhp and 9" slicks, so they need to be 'substantial'...

And finally, regulations require rear engined turbo cars to run with a 6mm steel flywheel sheild in case it lets go, so this as been added to the rear frame.

I must say, I'm particularly fond of the switch panel! Smile
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet work! that switch panel is Cool!
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OvalinAz wrote:

The idea is that the dash remains totally stock - chrome speaker grill, vase with flower in it, the works. Just for shits 'n giggles really.

The speedo will be replaced with a 5" Auto meter 'in dash' tach and the shift light can go in the over head panel with all the other controls, knobs and switches.

Very Happy
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Triumph wrote:
OvalinAz wrote:

The idea is that the dash remains totally stock - chrome speaker grill, vase with flower in it, the works. Just for shits 'n giggles really.

The speedo will be replaced with a 5" Auto meter 'in dash' tach and the shift light can go in the over head panel with all the other controls, knobs and switches.

Very Happy

Stock dash... You should paint the car agave with a red racing seat.
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvulich wrote:
Last Triumph wrote:
OvalinAz wrote:

Very Happy

Stock dash... You should paint the car agave with a red racing seat.

It was briefly considered. Smile
lnrbry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so hate to ask...how in the hell are you going to reach that switch panel from all the way over in the left hand seat?? i mean that's a really loooonnggg way and (if you made it this far i am taking the mick.. spent 12 years in England and they were the best years of my life. Even brought back my own English Rose of a wife. In fact drove a Vespa P200 to Colwyn Bay back in the 90's)

Other than that Carry on (camping)

Edit heh 69th post
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colwyn Bay, better than Holyhead i suppose.. :D
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lnrbry wrote:
so hate to ask...how in the hell are you going to reach that switch panel from all the way over in the left hand seat?? i mean that's a really loooonnggg way and (if you made it this far i am taking the mick.. spent 12 years in England and they were the best years of my life. Even brought back my own English Rose of a wife. In fact drove a Vespa P200 to Colwyn Bay back in the 90's)

Other than that Carry on (camping)

Edit heh 69th post

When I was strapped into the seat for the seat fitting, I could easily reach area behind the switch panel.

I'm 6' 4", the seat is slightly more centrally mounted than stock and slightly further forwards than it might be so reaching the top of the A pillar on the other side is no problem. Smile
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more progress...

The rules for 2013 have changed where tube framed cars are concerned and now any new build will require the floor spec to meet SFI 25.4 so the floor was set up in this vein which allowed the seat mount to be finalized...

Round the back, the front gearbox mounts were designed and fabricated meaning the transmission is now set in place and fully mounted which will allow Paul from Bears to come and measure up for the Vertigate shifter system.

Above which the top stay mount was made. The 3 rows of holes along the top are so the height can be adjusted. no big holes in the front of the 2 plates as the engine breather tank is going to be built off that plate.

With the transmission now in place, the rear suspension can be started. Many hours of calculations resulted in us settling on a 5 link, 4 bar IRS system which is now under construction...

And that's us up to date so far. It's really starting to come together now and as most of the difficult calculations and number crunching is done, the rest of the fabrication and systems installs should start to fall into place.

Another few steps closer to launch.
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard launch?
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvulich wrote:
Hard launch?

Is there any other type? Very Happy
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, Bears transmissions have been busy with the gearbox design and build and have just sent me a drawing of the final design for the 'Direct Shift System' which has been custom made to suite this particular application.

Nice.
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the 7 hour round trip to Rob's today to sit in the driving seat, so Bears Transmissions could measure up to put the shifter in the most comfortable position for me, and for Rob to check the position of the pedals and steering column, now that the seat is mounted.

I was looking forwards to getting a load of pictures on my new camera, equipped with wide angle lens, so can you imagine my horror when I arrived to discover I'd left the memory card at home in the laptop.... This turn of events did nothing to help with my self loathing. Please forgive the dreadful camera phone pics that I little option but to take.

Paul from bears wondering what all the fuss is about...

Bruce (Dead Dog) who is painting the car turned up to help Rob take the piss in a cruel tag team style effort....

I wondered why Bruce was so keen to get a picture of me in the car - it was only later I saw his bonnet graphics. I wasn't so much angry as disappointed.

It's starting to feel a bit 'real' now.... that's a nervous smile.

Rob had the rear wheel and tyre mocked up in it's final position...

As the body has been channeled a good few inches and the gearbox raised a fair bit, we'll need to cut the rear wheel arch back for adequate tyre clearance and mount the over-size rear wings higher up the body.

I had my first proper look at the rear wheels today and I must admit, they're growing on me. Slicks could use some air though!

The front end is roughly in position, but may need trimming at the bottom once the final ride height is set, but there'll be a decent sized splitter there anyway. A bit like when the Queen visits, Rob had clearly been busy tidying up for my arrival....

Action stations...

Whilst I was down there, I took a foam block that I am sculpting to the exact profile of the roof so I can make a wooden 'buck' of the roof to mould my rear spoiler round to ensure it's the exact correct profile.

As I say, sorry for the terrible pictures, but that's pretty much my visit wrapped up. The next installment should see the car getting dangerously close to being a roller....
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bonnet grapics are on the wrong side...
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: slipping the mick on LT Reply with quote

jvulich wrote:
the bonnet graphics are on the wrong side...

...and drawn MUCH larger than actual size!

i haven't posted on your thread for a while, so thought i'd say everything's looking great!

by the way, i had to laugh when i saw you bitchin' about sanding your airfoil...

Last Triumph wrote:
Here we are in the final stages of prep where I've blocked it to death and am working the final contour of the upper concave surface.

try doing bodywork on a 40' wing...plus the flaps, plus the ailerons, plus the wingtips. then build eight of them...then get back to me! at any rate, i feel your pain.

my '57 rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369883
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: slipping the mick on LT Reply with quote

flyertim wrote:

try doing bodywork on a 40' wing...plus the flaps, plus the ailerons, plus the wingtips. then build eight of them...then get back to me! at any rate, i feel your pain.

Yeah, but you have that strange phenomenon often referred to as competence. When you wake up as me first thing every morning, simple tasks take on a whole new perspective! Laughing

Anyway....

Just moments ago I had 'the call' that the bottom end of my engine is complete, assembled, balanced and ready to collect from James at Stateside.

Rob... you're closest.... Very Happy
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update...

The rear suspension has proved to be a real challenge as I'm running an IRS 4 bar, a set up that has only being used on a handful of VW race cars, so the set up and design has had to be done from scratch. This has been by far the trickiest part of the design so far, but one that will hopefully pay huge dividends on the strip allowing for more consistent, effective and adjustable hook ups and launches.

The front 4 bar mounts will have another mounting plate so they'll pivot in double shear for strength.

All the way through this build we have been trying to get parts to do more than one job - for example, making the breather box part of the adjustable top suspension mount etc. The breather box still has the cover plate to be fitted with a filter between the plate and the 3 holes in the top.

Here you can see a dummy mock up drive shaft we made to allow us to set the position of the hub in relation the gearbox output shaft.

More updates soon along with some engine parts and dry build pics of the motor bottom end...
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cast your mind back, I was in the process of building a small roof mounted lip-spoiler to reduce drag and turbulence from just before the air flow separation near the top of the rear window and used Smull's Mexi bug roof as the template for initial shaping...

You may also recall that during a recent visit to Rob's to see the car, I made a profile template of the roof from blue styrofoam to take home with me...

As Smull's Mexis is still an hours drive away from me, it made sense to make my own roof 'buck' to work from, so using the blue styrofoam template, I cut two matching templates out of 18mm MDF and boxed these up so I had my very own replica roof section to work from...

Which allowed me to screw down the spoiler into position so it adopts the perfect (or near as matters) curvature of the roof...

Which when at the correct angle will give me something like this for the air flow to deal with, leading nicely onto the main rear wing...

I'll tidy the ends up with small and neat end fences - nothing too hideous. Now it's fixed in the correct shape, I'll apply several thin laminates of glass cloth and resin to not only form a tough skin to apply a final profile and finish to, but will set and hold the spoiler in the correct curved shape so that when I release the screws at the ends, it won't just spring back straight again. I can live with a little flex as it will be tiger seal/bonded into position on the roof, but I didn't want too much excessive pull at each end that might risk the bond failing under vibration or aerodynamic load.

I'll skin it up with 3 layers of 6 oz cloth and resin and see how rigid it is by slowly releasing the screws - if it straightens too much, I'll add another layer or two until it doesn't.

Smile
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always enjoy seeing updates from you LT, your ingenuity really makes them worth waiting for each and every time.
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First shots of the motor parts.

Bottom end has been dummy built to check everything clears, which it now does.

All striped down for final clean up then it can be built up and measured for the custom J&E pistons.

The stroker DPR crank with scat big bolt rods and custom machined front pulley...

One off custom grind web camshaft...

Type IV Case with big through bolts, type 1 lifter bores and lots of little tricks...

Pauter roller rockers, the best you can get...

Autocraft 3 stage dry sump pump...

More as it happens.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: