Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pro shop owners... What materials are you using. Opinions
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Pro shop owners... What materials are you using. Opinions Reply with quote

I work in a DuPont shop. I've recently switched to less expensive (not "cheaper") materials to cut back the extreme overhead. This has really burnt one of my closest suppliers as our account was their only auto body shop they supported, the rest of their shop is house paints. Anyway, they're crying and fussing and begging for us to try other brands that they carry such as Sherwin Williams. I have absolutely no desire to use the stuff but will try anything if it's cost effective. Has anyone used SherwinWilliams here? Do you use it now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66buggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was told that color matching isnt the best...but then again is it the painter? I have never tried it...jus hear say.What about changing to a less expensive clear? I use PPG 4000 but now use ..u ready? KEYSTONE EUROPEAN CLEAR 740 with medium hardner.Lays down nice and buffs easy too.And he said if it fails that they would back it up as far as warranty..The kit cost us 154.00.If you havent tried it ..u gotta ...its nice stuff.Jus a bit yellower than my 4000 but ive had no problems.The only drawback is if you have to repaint u gotta wait till the next day. My 4000 u can bake and cooldown then recoat which is nice.
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPG is pretty much the industry standard. I like it because it's user friendly. Is it the best? Not in my opinion. But good for the collision industry.
I've sprayed just about every brand there is in the last 20+years.
I think DuPont is a excellent product. But not user friendly at all.
I have sprayed Sherwin Williams/Martin Senyour. Another excellent product, but color matching sucks.
Standox is another that is not a user friendly product. But what do you expect, it's a DuPont product. And their panel preping methods are not common at all. They rely on chemical bond instead of mechanical bond. PPG tried that years ago, just didn't work.
Sikkens is another good product, just not for me.
It's all pretty much a personal preference thing. They're all good products just some have more quirks than others.
For me, PPG. It's a good product that's more user friendly and productive than most.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppg is the best water system...solevent not so much.

azko nobel and glasurit(rm/basf) are the s--t and color match is spot on...not to mention the variance charts,color map books..make even the hardest colors better to dial in.

my buddy sells sherwin at his supplier biz and the new system they have...cant rememebr the name though,seems real good too.

i have just signed a contract for azko Nobel...and going to use the lessonal brand for most cars and Auto base for the higher line guys....U tech will be for the single stage jobs and misc lower line stuff.

see my "gallery" for more pics other than the website.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: