Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sparkles -- 86 Syncro High-Top Build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Sparkles -- 86 Syncro High-Top Build Reply with quote

Moderator Note: Title changed at OP's request to reflect new top found on page 4

Well, given the work that has gone on recently with the van I thought I would start a build thread for my syncro.

I bought the van in 2005 and drove it as a daily driver for a few years in Salt Lake. Put it in storage when I did grad school out in Ohio. Now that I am back out West I pulled it out again. I ended up selling my Tacoma and have been using the syncro as a DD now Cool . Love it, such a fun vehicle to drive, as we all know. I'll try to keep this thread up to date with new changes and trips with Sparkles.

Start off with a picture of how he sits today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And a shot of the underside showing the 215 75 R15 BFG up in the stock position with a vancafe carrier. I like this spot better than the pathfinder rack I had on the back.

Replaced the old front brakes with the Smallcar Audi brakes, SS lines and refreshed the rears with all new parts. Stops the big wheels just great!

Then I pulled the factory syncro flares and put on some SA flaps to catch all the snow and mud getting flung everywhere. I wasn't impressed with the out of the box fit quality... however they keep rocks and sand off the body and don't look half bad.

Next the right of passage for all syncro owners, I replaced the starter motor. It was a bonding experience with the van.... I'll leave it at that Shocked . I'm pleased with the gear reduction starter so far.

(yep, it's not bolted yet. But after finally getting it in place I was so happy I snapped the pic. You can see the power cable attachment is nice and easy to access)
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful van! Look forward to seeing more, keep the pics coming.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly the work of a n00b mechanic who has no taste in color....brown? really?? :p. White is the way to go!

Keep dem pics comin son.

2007 BMW R1200S More HP then 1.5 vanagons

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Limited Ecodiesel

1998 VW Jetta TDi RiP, it was an organ donor though....
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few minor items to address this week with Sparkles. Switched the middle bench out for the Westy stove/sink for summer camping and gave it an oil change. Anyone else catch flack from the counter guys when you show up with 5qts of diesel motor oil? They wouldn't belive that's what the van required.
With the onset of summer the front heater valve has decided to take a holiday, that and the control wire came off the slider. So as a quick fix I placed a generic NAPA 5/8" heater valve in place of the connector for the font heater core that sits next to the shifter box. Took about 20 min total, also added a spring to hold it in the open position. This was the best place to put it as my indash AC and placement of the radio next to the shifter make accesing the lines there extremely difficult.

Also dropped in some new German steering couplers with fresh 10.9 bolts and stover nuts. Corners like a Porsche now Wink A quick tip is to raise the front end and leave the keys in to unlock the steering column. This allows you to rotate the steering shaft by hand to make the nuts a breeze to access.

Finally for the week, I gave the van a good hand wash and heavy wax to keep it protected. Cool

MKIII and Sons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your syncro is clean...too clean.
TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade you the ECU for your bench? I need a bench!

2007 BMW R1200S More HP then 1.5 vanagons

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Limited Ecodiesel

1998 VW Jetta TDi RiP, it was an organ donor though....
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't get too much rain=mud out here MKIII, belive me it gets a good coat of crap in the winter though!

TDI-VT i think there is a blue middle bench for free in Seattle, check out the part it forward sticky. I should buy that ecu from you though.
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some recent updates and tribulations for the van.
The power steering rack was kaput. I now have a new one from Jorgen installed with T3 technique bushings and new tie rod ends etc etc... well as we all know when you replace a faulty part it adds stress on the next weakest like which was... the power steering lines in the engine compartment Rolling Eyes Had new hoses made at a local tractor shop.

With regards to the mysterious "gurgle" in another thread. The clutch, rear main seal, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, felt washer, trans mounts, and shifter selector with new boots was installed. A little shifter adjustment and he's shifting butter smooth. But, what does one discover when the prop shaft comes out for a clutch job? Well predictably it is the U-joint at the trans end beginning to fail. This backs up the theory I have had about the 35mph vibe that developed last week. So shaft out, vibe gone, play in U-joint, and ordered a new spicer joint slip yoke shaft from wholesalecarparts.com as recommended by Burley.

Well seeing as I had a few hours to kill last weekend I committed to digging into the front heater controls to fix em. Pulled the instrument cluster to find cracked mounts for the speedo and tach to the cluster shroud... Confused going to have to fix that later. However, I did get the heater valve cable straight and righted to its spot. Woo, the new power to control heat to the front of the cabin from the driver's seat! BTU's for days.

Inbound is a tune up kit from gowesty and an O2 sensor.
Also a new hard shift bushing, the soft one was wallowed out.

Forward unto dawn!
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muffler replacement, or how I spent a few days fighting my exhaust and ended up full circle.

Got a good condition used muffler to replace the one on my van with a rusted tailpipe joint. Simple right? undo 5 bolts, slide cat and muffler out, transfer cat to new muffler and slap it back in with shiny new hardware. As you guessed at the first mention of the dreaded E word, exhaust work is not simple. Fast forward through a few days of PB blaster, angle grinding, hacksawing, and general suffering and the new system is back in. Note: the cat "looked clear and good" but I had to tap out a seized bolt from one of its flanges.

Well the van ran like hell, felt like a potato ( I know potato measurement units, being from Idaho) was also installed in the system. Lugged to a stall and when I tried to get it over 40 mph, intsa power loss. Did the usual TPS, O2 sensor, ground dance until I figured it was likely that exhaust work I'd finished. threw the old muffler on without the cat to reduce the possibility of it being cracked/partially plugged and fouling the exhaust.

Found a few extra hp's without the cat, and everything is running well for now.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cat is off,where is the o2 sensor residing? Was the cat damaged during disassembly/reassembly causing the crappy running? You cant leave us hanging like this!
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparkles- 86 Syncro Tin Top Build Reply with quote

goskiracer wrote:

And a shot of the underside showing the 215 75 R15 BFG up in the stock position with a vancafe carrier. I like this spot better than the pathfinder rack I had on the back.

How is that working out for you? I'm wondering just because I routinely whack the heck out off the stock clamshell when out and about and kinda cringe seeing your spare all exposed. Don't take this as a criticism, I am genuinely interested in your experience.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alistair, I have been really happy with the spare in that location. For a few years I had a rear swing away carrier and I was not as happy with it since I like to get in and out of the rear hatch quite a bit. I took the van over Imogene pass last summer and didn't have any troubles hitting rocks with it. I'd say it is about equal to the stock clamshell, however I do not wheel the syncro as much as some others. Moreso I spend time on snowy roads or beat up FS roads.

Cessna Jon, I removed the O2 sensor along with the cat. I was pressed for time to get out of town the other day, so I have not had time to put the cat back on and isolate whether it was the 'new' muffler or the cat causing the issues. I may take the cat and muffler to a shop to get flow tested, is that something that is worthwhile? While I do feel bad running without a cat, I do enjoy the added power Twisted Evil I am getting more convinced that I should get some tencent wbxhaust!
Cheers,

I'll post when I have more cat/muffler info after the holiday.
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put in a prop shaft this afternoon from Wholesaleimportparts.com, slip-yoke with spicer joints. Runs smooth and easy install.

Last edited by goskiracer on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good. Also I'm somewhat re-assured about the spare tire location report. Mind you it does look like you have a little bit of lift on suspension, perhaps stiffer spring/shock combo?

cheers

alistair
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suspension is bone stock springs and shocks. Boge's up front and KYB's in back. I will be replacing the shocks this spring along with a gaggle of bushings. I have been thinking either stock shocks or OME's with the stick springs.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay then Smile

so firmly in the "beating a dead horse dept." do you find yourself hitting the spare when descending steepish hill on FS road and having to negotiate a fairly shallow ditch/trough? I know I have to upgrade my springs, but I scrape the clamshell often in that kind of situation (especially when road width does not allow diagonal approach).

alistair
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running BFG 215 R 75 15 tires, that gives me an inch or two or wheel lift.
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alistair, no worries about the spare tire questions. I have hit the old clamshell before while in moab leaving a camping spot of all places. So far I haven't hit anyting with the spare down there as it is... if was to really wheel it I think it would be an issue.

A few updates.
WBXhaust!!! woo woo! The stainless tuned exhaust from Chris (tencent) and RMW really wakes up the stock 2.1, especially at altitude. Best bolt on mod after wheels and tires.

I installed the van cafe steering shaft protector, really helps keep that big tire from rubbing the steering shaft and creating an annoying squeek every time you turn the wheel. So quiet and smooth now!

The longer Gowesty studs I was running on the back were nothing but a PITA with their poor quality. The studs would simply spin in the hub or the threads would fail at 90ftlbs. Loggy at t3 got me set up with a set of rear studs. Had the rear bearings repacked and new studs pressed in.

I've also soldered all the headlight wire connections, the Gowesty crimps seemed a bit dodgey.

On the horizon this summer are new shocks (replacement OEM) and likely some bushings. I am really happy with the stock suspension, so I think I will just update the various wear items.
86syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goskiracer wrote:

On the horizon this summer are new shocks (replacement OEM) and likely some bushings. .

You may want to really consider the Old Man Emu's, I replaced the stock style Boge units with OME shocks all the way around and the ride is firmer but in a good way, handling improved also.
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

86syncrowesty, I have looked into the OME's. I run the van pretty light so I'll probably be on the fence until the last minute when it comes to picking shocks.

In other news.... Rolling Eyes -10 temps finally killed the oil cooler O-ring on the van this weekend. Went to start up the van in the morning for a ski trip into some hot springs near the caldera and noticed a substantial leak from the oil filter area Shocked Exxon-Valdez!!!! Looks like some new cooler tubes and gasket are needed in short order. The syncro is my only vehicle right now, so the 60 miles back home was pretty harrowing keeping a close eye on the oil levels (when the engine/gasket heats up and expands the leak stops.. mostly)

At $3 for a gasket, I would recommend that everyone change theirs during their next oil change!! when is the last time you had yours changed?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugv7fhOC07U
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: