Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

‘66 Project build on a budget
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TCBeier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. . . I expect it to take me 2 years but my wife says I will finish by Christmas. Not sure about that.

My brother said he expected me to get mine done in 3 months yeah right. I think 3 years is more reasonable, still working and raising 4 teen girls on my own - Stute takes second fiddle. Good luck with the build - I'll be watching. Mine is a 66 also.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525849&highlight=stute

http://stutethewonderbug.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCBeier wrote:
My brother said he expected me to get mine done in 3 months yeah right. I think 3 years is more reasonable, still working and raising 4 teen girls on my own - Stute takes second fiddle. Good luck with the build - I'll be watching. Mine is a 66 also.

I hear you, man! You've got to have your priorities in the right order. Although yeah, I'd love to see this car on the road soon, I'm not in any real big hurry. I'll be happy as long as I do finish it and do as good a job as I can in the process....which reminds me. I need to name my bug. Any suggestions? Anyone?? Question
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some good German names for you...

DIETER: Old German name composed of the elements þeud "people, race" and hari/heri "army, warrior," hence "warrior of the people."

EBERHARD: Old High German name composed of the elements eber "wild boar" and hard "brave, hardy, strong," hence "strong as a boar."

EDSEL: Variant spelling of German Etzel, possibly meaning "father." Compare with another form of Edsel.

EGON: Old German name derived from the word eg, meaning "edge."
TCBeier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
74Pepper wrote:
Ah, the smell of rust and chicken poo in the morning!

Isn't that a quote from Apocolypse Now?? Laughing

lovethatconvertible wrote:
Any new Pic's or updates, there's gotta be something?

My project's moving at a snail's pace. . . I'm contemplating doing the forms and rebar myself, even though I've never done a job that big. It's the floating & screeding process that I'm concerned about!

Try getting quotes from a landscaper (green card- if you catch my drift), they are cheaper than regular conc - or general contractors. We have had some fantastic conc patios and walkways done by our landscaper. For a good price too.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TCBeier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
. . . I need to name my bug. Any suggestions? Anyone?? Question

How about - Käfer, it means beetle in german.

Stute is a childhood imaginary friend. I used to tell my brothers adventure stories about him.

sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the name suggestions, guys. I decided on a good German name: Klaus. I actually got it from an episode of Married With Children - it was what Steve and Marcie named their Mercedes Benz Razz

Finally pulled the motor today. Contemplating on whether I should do the 12V conversion right while I have access to the trans bell housing and do some grinding & flywheel replacement.... Question
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my VW's birth certificate today. I was a little bummed that my car doesn't have the original motor, but I knew it was a long shot anyway...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 65 had a 63 40 horse in it when I bought it. A friend was restoring a car that engine would be more correct for so I sold it to him and now I'm building an "old school looking" 1904 backed by a 67 transaxle.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took advantage of the awesome weather we had today and removed both pan halves. Not having air tools, I had to do this with a reciprocating saw. I got a little squirrely on parts, but when I dry fitted the new pan halves, there was plenty of lip left for welding. Now comes the task of removing the remaining inch-wide strip of old pan left, and without an air chisel, this will be a pain staking process. Maybe I'll borrow/rent an air chisel and an air compressor....

sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry fitted my new pans. I still need to remove the 1" lip of the old pan which is a pain in the ass. I hate removing old spot welds!

Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good with the new pan halves! I've tried various things to remove the old ones, from an air chisel (good but noisy, and can lose control and damage the lip you want to keep!) to an angle grinder (affective but noisy again) to drilling out the spots. I'd recommend drilling out the spot welds using a spot weld bit, then just use a bolster chisel and hammer to free off the rest. You'll need to improvise in places with a grinder, but you look like you know what you're doing! Interesting that youe car was built in Belgium and shipped to Holland before it made it to the USA tho!
'86 Scirocco special project - still measuring up...
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I've run into with drilling out the spot welds is that I can't see the little dimples that normally show you where the spot welds are from the top. I'll have to flip the chassis on it's side and do some major scraping off of road crap that has built up on the bottom of the car. I may try the air chisel thing in case it works out for me. I found it interesting as well where the car was shipped to, somehow ending up here in Texas! Thanks for the comments!
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine used a 4 pound hammer and a chisel.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried that...stops the chisel dead at the spot welds. The upper lip I'm trying to remove rips around the spot weld, so if I continue, I'll just have to do some grinding down of the remaining spot welds... The pitfalls of not owning air equipment, I suppose....
Ghiaguy7126
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! ill be following your thread on this rebuild looks similar to the way my '68 Ghia project will go
Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
The problem I've run into with drilling out the spot welds is that I can't see the little dimples that normally show you where the spot welds are from the top. I'll have to flip the chassis on it's side and do some major scraping off of road crap that has built up on the bottom of the car. I may try the air chisel thing in case it works out for me. I found it interesting as well where the car was shipped to, somehow ending up here in Texas! Thanks for the comments!

If you can't see the dimples, use a grinding disc and give the pan a very light once over - it'll take the paint off the high shpots and leave the low spots, which should be your spot weld dimples!
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Davies wrote:
If you can't see the dimples, use a grinding disc and give the pan a very light once over - it'll take the paint off the high shpots and leave the low spots, which should be your spot weld dimples!

Are you saying I should be able to see spot weld dimples from the top side? I think the spot welds were made from the bottom of the pan and there is no sign of spot welds from the top. I'll see if I can get some close up pictures this weekend.
54ovsemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great!!!
Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Neil Davies wrote:

Are you saying I should be able to see spot weld dimples from the top side? I think the spot welds were made from the bottom of the pan and there is no sign of spot welds from the top. I'll see if I can get some close up pictures this weekend.

Yes, with the thinner metal on th top, it's more likely to distort than the two thicker pieces that make up the tunnel and the bottom plate.
When you fit he new pan halves, pop a load of holes down the length of the pan half and plug weld through, which is about as close to a spot weld as you're likely to get at home.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI, if you're in the process of replacing your pans and need to know the best/easiest way to get through the spot welds in the remaining lip of the old pan, an air chisel is the way to go! Man, that cut through the spot welds literally like a hot knife through butter. I used a cheap "Chicago Electric" air chisel I found at a yard sale for $3 (I think you can get them new at Harbor Freight for about $20 with the tips) and borrowed my father-in-law's air compressor. A definite life saver!

I finally got around to getting both pan halves welded in place.

Next step is to apply a bead of Dynatron Seam Sealer all around the seams, top and bottom, and then POR15 the heck out of the pans in preparation for some kind of sound barrier on the top side of the pans.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: