Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a steering wheel
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TjdTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k so i messed up today. Bought a grant wheel, the appropriate hub and i installed it. The wiper stalk was rubbing abit so i bent it out of the way. It was fine with about 4mm clearance but i wanted abit more. I broke it off. How the hell do i replace it now?

Beetle Bums VW Club Member

Jamies74sb wrote:
I can't see myself cutting up my super beetle . Maybe a oval or 61 or so with the small windows
Eric 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished installing new turn signal and wiper switches on my 73 Super.

Take the wheel back off and you will see 4 screws at 10, 2, 4 and 8 (on a clock). Remove those and save them. Below and behind the column (about 10 inches down the column) you need to unhook the electircal wires (mine had one set on the left on one on the right). Make sure you have no air pressure on your washer system and remove the two rubber lines (on the left at 9 oclock). With all that done, both the turn and wiper switches can be pulled out together. The turn switch may seperate but that is ok. Just make sure they come out together. I had to push from the bottom a little to get them to come out.

Last edited by Eric 73 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Vellat wrote:

The stock wheel is around 400mm outside-to-outside - the commonly available customs ones are 330-360mm wheels.

If it's a 74 Super Beetle, please note that an aftermarket 350mm wheel will block your view to the upper part of the speedo. Kind of irritating as it is actually difficult to observe the speed limit.

If you are small, it might not be a problem. I'm 5'11" (180 cm).

I put back in the original wheel after driving around with the MOMO for a while. If you use a Rabbit/Golf I or II steering wheel or similar, you are OK, they are close to 400 mm. Lot's of them at ebay and on wreck yards.

On a standard bug or 71-72 superbeetle it works fine, it does not cover the speedo.
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boble wrote:
Chris Vellat wrote:

The stock wheel is around 400mm outside-to-outside - the commonly available customs ones are 330-360mm wheels.

Noted that you have bought a wheel, TJD, but just for other readers:

If it's a 74 Super Beetle, please observe that an aftermarket 350mm wheel will block your view to the upper part of the speedo. At least it does in my 76 model. Kind of irritating as it is actually difficult to observe the speed limit.

If you are small, it might not be a problem. I'm 5'11" (180 cm).

I put back in the original wheel after driving around with the MOMO for a while. If you use a Rabbit/Golf I or II steering wheel or similar, you are OK, they are close to 400 mm. Lot's of them at ebay and on wreck yards.

On a standard bug or 71-72 superbeetle it works fine, it does not cover the speedo.
Eric 73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious because I just put a Grant wheel on my 73 Super and the wiper switch arm was not even close to the wheel. I wonder if you have the right adapter.
TjdTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric 73 wrote:
Just curious because I just put a Grant wheel on my 73 Super and the wiper switch arm was not even close to the wheel. I wonder if you have the right adapter.

I probably dont have a spacer or something. I have a plan how im going to FIX it though. Drill them out, make a dowel like thing, and epoxy. It hould work, and if not, ill replace it. A for the fitment, yahh i noticed that. It actually quite bad. Im 5 10 and i cant see the top of the speedo for shit. Might switch back to og wheel just because of that.

Beetle Bums VW Club Member

Jamies74sb wrote:
I can't see myself cutting up my super beetle . Maybe a oval or 61 or so with the small windows
Bessy145
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Gorgeous Nardi steering wheel-need advice Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

My husband bought me a killer Nardi wheel....
I have a 1978 super convertible.

So the guy who sold it said we need to buy:

quick release (recommends MoMo) what is this?
A boss or hub adapter for a 73-79 vw

Where and what do I actually need? Both??

It's my car and I'd like to do the work, is this a job for someone
With zero experience??
[/u]
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adapter is so the wheel will fit and horn work.

Quick release is so you can quickly remove the steering wheel and lock it in the trunk, so someone doesn't steal it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bessy145
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Nardi steering wheel and adapter Reply with quote

So its sounds like the quick release is optional, but a good idea.

As for the adapter...any recommendations to where I can purchase...Mid America, jjbugs...etc.

Is this a job for a beginner?

Is there a manual that I should have for general questions about my car (1978 SB)??

Thanks!
Beth
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: