Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oldschool Dune Buggy build
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
64sandscorcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Oldschool Dune Buggy build Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Well, I've got another long term project on my hands, and it's a whopper! As you can see, im starting with a bare bones pan & a bunch of parts I got from several Craigslist sellers. To date I have spent under $350.00, and it's already registered as street legal. lol 

Parts I have: 1962 shortened pan (registered as special construction with 0000 title), body, aluminum window frame, complete swing axle rear end, complete link pin front axle, fiberglass seat buckets (need covers) 15gal gas tank, gauges, steering assembly, shifter rod & pedal assembly,  12v starter, alternator & fan assembly, exhaust, various engine parts NOS, 15x10 rear rims, 15x8 front rims, & a bunch of other spare parts to keep or sell, including another complete ball-joint front end. I have a friend who has an old aluminum 1600 dp fan shroud, he just has to find it in his junk pile.

The body has some issues, but can be repaired easily. I only paid $50 for it, and I don't mind doing fiberglass repair. The only bad spot is the passenger rear fender. It looks like the PO had bottomed out & cracked the fender with the rear tire. Everthing else is minor cracks and/or paint cracks in finish. I did some research on the body and I'm thinking it's either a Safari Trail or a Boonie Buggy.

I plan to replace all bearings, seals, bushings & link pins/kingpins (etc) to make it ride like new. I also plan to degrease each part and squirt with fresh enamel paint to give it a nice clean look. The pan has minimal surface rust, so I'll degrease and paint with rustoleum brand enamel. plus use bed liner on the inside to seal against the elements. The used transaxle will be used as a core for a fresh rebuilt unit, and I plan to do the same with an engine (when I find one). Actually, there's a guy I know who'll sell me a 1600 dp German case complete but needs rebuilt, for $50 bucks.

I made a dolly for the body so I can roll around the garage to sand and prep for paint. The pan is stationary now, but I want to make a dolly that it can roll around on too. 

This is my first dune buggy build, but I feel confident from other VW experiences, that I can do this. Of course there are things I've never done before, like plumb new brake lines, but I'm sure there are kits out there to make it easier. There are some custom things I want to consider, mostly body related, but the build will stay fairly traditional, using VW drivetrain, with a 60's or early 70's style paint job. The engine I want to use is a 1600 dp, so a stock 4.12 61-68 trans should be fine. I'm on a budget, so I'm hoping to find most of what I want through swapmeets, CL or eBay.

I just have to put it all together like a giant remote control car... how hard could it be? lol

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: