Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My First Buggy
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CR500RIDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: My First Buggy Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but I didn't see any where else that seemed like it suited this. I'm new to the VW/Buggy world, this is my first one which I've only had for a little over a month. Just thought I'd post some pictures to see what you think and what it needs. It's a 73 but I believe the front end is a 68. It needs some work on the motor but I'd like to throw a 2332cc in there. What do you think about that? Thanks all!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rider, That's VERY nice! I am not familiar with the different makes and variations of each, but it looks like a fine job of fabrication. Make sure the exhaust is covered if you leave it outside in a rainstorm. And NOT with a Swiss Miss cocoa can!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal feeling is going bigger than a 1776 gives up too much reliability and cooling peace of mind, and with a rail that size you can easily get more power than you have braking and steering ability for (the front end will lock up and slide easily)...But I'm sure there's a lot of others on here will say put the biggest motor you can build on it. Or, if I was going above 1776 I'd go watercooled Subaru myself, but thats another debate also...

That also looks like a 6-gallon tank with no fuel gauge setup- Easy to run out of gas(I've done it a few times on mine Rolling Eyes ) , decent fuel cans are hard to find nowadays..I ended up mounting another 3 gallon tank as a reserve between the main tank and the doghouse with a "T" and a shut off valve in the fuel line, always got a spare 2-3 gallons of fuel that way and it works great...
CR500RIDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I was thinking a 2332cc would be cool but I've never driven anything with one in it so it probably would be over kill. I feel like this motor has a lot more to offer though. I checked the compression and it all cylinders were completely off and it also has a good amount of oil leaks. I would at least like to be able to pull a wheelie if I wanted to. It's a pretty small buggy so I don't think it would take much.
CR500RIDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donbarnes wrote:
My personal feeling is going bigger than a 1776 gives up too much reliability and cooling peace of mind, and with a rail that size you can easily get more power than you have braking and steering ability for (the front end will lock up and slide easily)...But I'm sure there's a lot of others on here will say put the biggest motor you can build on it. Or, if I was going above 1776 I'd go watercooled Subaru myself, but thats another debate also...

That also looks like a 6-gallon tank with no fuel gauge setup- Easy to run out of gas(I've done it a few times on mine Rolling Eyes ) , decent fuel cans are hard to find nowadays..I ended up mounting another 3 gallon tank as a reserve between the main tank and the doghouse with a "T" and a shut off valve in the fuel line, always got a spare 2-3 gallons of fuel that way and it works great...

I believe its an 8 or 9 gallon tank, it also has foam in it. What trans are people running with the larger motors and do the larger motors start off as a 1600 and they are just built up to a 1776 or 2332?
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a "RESERVE", I installed a motorcycle petcock with an actual "RESERVE" setting. My tank is also pretty small - I haven't hit reserve yet, but as best I can figure, it's a little less than a gallon. Just enough to make it to the next station if I'm not too far off the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CR500RIDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drs1023 wrote:
As a "RESERVE", I installed a motorcycle petcock with an actual "RESERVE" setting. My tank is also pretty small - I haven't hit reserve yet, but as best I can figure, it's a little less than a gallon. Just enough to make it to the next station if I'm not too far off the road.

Definitely something to think about, I normally just drive it to work and around town and keep an eye on the fuel. When it's cold it starts right up but after I run it for a while and shut it off then try starting it again, it really doesn't want to start and I have to floor it for it to come to life. Any idea what that might be?
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That issue has been covered many times in this forum, and I don't think there are many variations to the tests we all run on an engine which is hard to hot start. I recently had to re-do an old GMC pickup with a 350 in it. I joked that it could probably be started by a flashlight battery because of the low compression. OK to start when cold, but a bear to hot start. I have found that a good back to basics tune-up, valves, carb adjustment, cap, wires, etc. is a good place to start. You have to eliminate all the obvious stuff first. I'd also run a compression test. You need to be around 120 ~ 130 psi and have no more than a 20% difference from lowest to highest readings. Anything around 100 psi or lower indicates that the engine is just tired and needs help.

One way to test a low compression on a cylinder is to pull the plug and squirt a coupla' shots of oil in the cylinder. If the compression is noticable higher after this, then you can bet on poor leak down results from worn rings, an out of round piston to cylinder matchup, etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: