Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rustoleum almond? Steering column
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harley611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the almond, but it looks a little dark. The biscuit color seems to be more like what I have. Is everyone using the Krylon almond? I need to spray my column, etc. and want to make sure before I waste the money and time.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have clarified on my earlier post.
I used Krylon Almond with no clear coat. I spray 3 light coats 10min apart and the finish turns out pretty nice for rattle can.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight. Appliance almond epoxy will match an "ivory" steering wheel? For painting the column and turn signal switch?
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum almond? Steering column Reply with quote

Are you all.using regular Almond or Satin Almond? Also, is the Rustoleum the se as Krylon (in terms of shade)
bruiserbabie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum almond? Steering column Reply with quote

I just wanted to add to this with my input, this is what I found.....

So I have been looking into things on this topic and found out that Parchment white L81 and Pearl white L87 are in fact the same paint color and formula mixture, looks like VW just changed the name. So I went to my local paint store and bought a quart of PPG Omni coat Pearl white paint L87, which is a less expensive PPG paint. The mix was way way off, it was not even close, it was more of a blue tinted gray, not anywhere near an Ivory color. See in the pics below and you will see my 58' bus dash is factory Pearl white, so I had that to go by to get a match. Then I had them mix me a more expensive blend of PPG the Concept Deltron Pearl white L87 and boy o boy was it spot on!!! In the pics below you will see my 56' bug wheel is also parchment white / pearl white (from the factory), I painted the centers of all 5 of my new wheels with the PPG Concepts Deltron Pearl white L87 and it turned out perfect, also see the Rustoleum Almond painted turn signal housing next to the wheel to see the contrast (difference). I am also going to be painting my Batwing steering wheel with the same Pearl White L87 (that is also what VW used in the factory for steering wheels. I will post another photo later once its been painted, I am doing it this Friday. Thanks and I hope this helps! Please note that the wheel center pics below are the same exact color but do look a lot different in the different light and at different angles. lol but are the exact same wheel haha

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum almond? Steering column Reply with quote

Those wheels are beautiful!

But please be sure to sand that paint off to bare metal on the beveled surface of each lug bolt hole (the surface that touches the bevel of the lug bolt). Do NOT leave any paint there as after torqueing those bolts on the wheel, and then the stress and pressures on those surfaces while driving around can cause that unremoved paint between the two metal surfaces to probably compress and you might find the lug bolts quickly loosening and you might watch one of your wheels pass you on the highway as you limp on three wheels to the shoulder (if you are lucky enough)! Ask me and at least two other friends that I know how we now know to do this small bit of wheel paint removal... I just wish I had a photo of the look on my face when my rear left wheel passed me as I slowed down!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: