Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What PORTABLE fridge do you use?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altoona wrote:
I have used the Edgestar/Whynter and they do work well, but they draw about twice as much current as an Engle/ARB option.

Curious, the only info I've found on power use shows the Engel using between .5-2.5 amps. The Edgestar info I found said .75-3 amps.

Do you have any info to back up your claim? (not being contrary, just want to know Very Happy )

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize that the article was so old; I didn't find any mention of it in the archives so I thought it might be helpful. It provides a good bit of information on how these fridges work and what features are available (were available?) Feel free to delete it if it's inappropriate, archaic, or offensive to Edgestar owners.

I did not think the Edgestar belonged in the conversation because after a quick search for several of the models mentioned in the article, the prices were stratospheric in comparison. This lead me to believe that perhaps they had more and/or better features as justification for the higher prices. Truth be told, I will probably end up buying an Edgestar when the time comes.

Now I think I'll go start a thread about the new 2001 Microbus prototype.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried the edgestar but I have tried the Engel and ARB.

Hands down if you can afford it go with the ARB. Cry once and smile later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Altoona wrote:
I have used the Edgestar/Whynter and they do work well, but they draw about twice as much current as an Engle/ARB option.

Curious, the only info I've found on power use shows the Engel using between .5-2.5 amps. The Edgestar info I found said .75-3 amps.

Do you have any info to back up your claim? (not being contrary, just want to know Very Happy )

EdgeStar's literature states:
FP430 = "AC (0.75A) or DC (5.4A @ 12V DC)"
FP630 = "AC (1A) or DC (5.5A @ 12V DC)"

Engel's literature states:
MT35 & MT45 = "2.5A @ 12V DC"

ARB's literature states:
50QT = "2.3A @ 12V DC"

Those are max usage amps. EdgeStar's is over twice the other two. Real world usage, of course, sees intermittent, variable amp draw depending on a variety of factors. A 60-day run of the Engel, for example, by some off-road guy produced an average of 1.2 amps; a 30-day run by a different off-road guy with the ARB (50QT or 63QT, don't recall which) saw an average of 1.35 amps. Didn't find EdgeStar real-world specs (sorry!) because I ruled it out (cost vs. size vs. amp draw vs. warranty compared to the other two brands); I do like the ice chest-style lid of the EdgeStar though.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And FWIW...

Warrantee policies on portable fridges:

ARB = 3 years

Edgestar = 1 year

Engel = 2 years

TruckFridge = 1 year

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Engel 45 From Van Cafe . I also ordered the remote temperature display. It has a cord which goes in the unit and a reader/sender with a remote wireless mount which gives you time and ambient temperature as well.
Since our Home fridge had died ,we've been using it as our freezer in the house ,I wish Engel made home appliances.
A nice well made unit which now has a few dents in it, I think it will be a long time friend .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which one can double as a temporary bench without damaging it?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ARB is a seat, step and ottoman in our van, it has an extremely tough lid. Also, we have been using one as a freezer in our house non-stop for over a year and a half - no issues.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

I would not sit or stand on my Edgestar. The sheet metal will likely deform
But once I make a wood cover to spread forces, I wlll sit on it and/or use it to play card one, etc.. maybe stand on it in a pinch.

Also.. have not seen my Edgestar pull 5 amps.. more like 1-2ish.
Maybe when using the fast freeze option?
Kamz notes says "max draw".
I have the manual and it does not say 5 amps in it. But does not post max.. simply says 1amp/75watt (not very helpful)
So "Fast Freeze" may explain it a big amp draw.

I don't know of the other units have "fast freeze" but it is an awesome feature. It pulls the temp to -8F deg.. and holds it there.
Would be great for freezing fresh caught fish or game.

As noted earlier I use FF to pre-cool the unit with its contents.. once it gets to 0 or so, I'll swtich to the thermostat setting at 36.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And...if just having a fridge OR a freezer wasn't enough....
Now you can have them both....at the same time...minimal amp draw...

http://waeco.com/Australia/MS-9171-Camping-and-4WD...Z-CFX-65DZ

I like the Waeco Dometic also because the power outlet is in the back....opposite of the display
Vee-Dubs 87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found this one on ebay a month or two ago. No idea on the brand, but it's called Windchaser and seems to be a chinese manufacturer (big surprise). Honestly couldn't find anything about this fridge online while the auction was going on, but I figured it looked to be about the size I wanted, so I rolled the dice. After unboxing, it's pretty much an edgestar knock off, and I'm still not even sure what the actual size is, probably a 43-45 qt. But it looks pretty nice with the stainless and all. Paid about $350 shipped, and couldn't be happier so far. Runs very quiet, and will go from ambient temp (lately around 85 degree or so) down to freezing in 20 minutes. We will see how long it lasts, but I have to say for the money, it seems like pretty good bang for the buck.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vee-Dubs 87 wrote:

I found this one on ebay a month or two ago. No idea on the brand, but it's called Windchaser and seems to be a chinese manufacturer (big surprise). Honestly couldn't find anything about this fridge online while the auction was going on, but I figured it looked to be about the size I wanted, so I rolled the dice. After unboxing, it's pretty much an edgestar knock off, and I'm still not even sure what the actual size is, probably a 43-45 qt. But it looks pretty nice with the stainless and all. Paid about $350 shipped, and couldn't be happier so far. Runs very quiet, and will go from ambient temp (lately around 85 degree or so) down to freezing in 20 minutes. We will see how long it lasts, but I have to say for the money, it seems like pretty good bang for the buck.

Looks like the Edgestar/Whynter product in the 43 qt size... just a different badge for resale.

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
joetiger wrote:

I would not sit or stand on my Edgestar. The sheet metal will likely deform
But once I make a wood cover to spread forces, I wlll sit on it and/or use it to play card one, etc.. maybe stand on it in a pinch.

We sit and stand on ours all the time, it has held up fine. No dents. It is scuffed and scratched, but still looks really good.

Because we live in a small mountain village we make regular trips to Kalispell to shop for bulk food, etc. The Edgestar gets used as a freezer to bring back frozen food and ice cream (which is ridiculously expensive in Canada) and also fresh meat. By the time we get home, about three to four hours, the ice cream is still frozen solid and the fresh meat has become half frozen. The thing really works well. We have also used it in the house as a extra freezer when our regular freezer was full.
As a fridge on camping trips it has kept all our food fresh, it maintains a very even temperature no matter how hot the van gets. (we do cover it with a sunshade when needed to help reduce heating)
To anyone thinking about one of these chest type fridge/freezers, get one! Very much worth the money. Of course having a quality house battery is a must for multi day stays in one spot. No more soggy food, smelly water, and forays to buy ice, and much better reliability and capacity than the stock Westy fridge. It also opens up storage where the stock fridge was and you can remove it when not needed to reduce weight.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Vee-Dubs 87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Vee-Dubs 87 wrote:

Looks like the Edgestar/Whynter product in the 43 qt size... just a different badge for resale.

Yeah that figures. For the price I paid, I assumed the compressor was junk but like I said, zero issues so far. I'm guessing it probably won't last long but if I get a few years out of it I'll be happy. Have to admit, I don't think I would have spent the money on a name brand without trying out the setup first so this one just made sense. Have a few trips coming up later this year so I'll update on how it performs. I'll be running it off two walmart 122 ah deep cycles Rolling Eyes and 2 100 watt panels. It's a standalone system so no combiner, but I figure with a couple of sunny days I'll probably be good for a long weekend.
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vee-Dubs 87 wrote:

Yeah that figures. For the price I paid, I assumed the compressor was junk but like I said, zero issues so far. I'm guessing it probably won't last long but if I get a few years out of it I'll be happy. Have to admit, I don't think I would have spent the money on a name brand without trying out the setup first so this one just made sense. Have a few trips coming up later this year so I'll update on how it performs. I'll be running it off two walmart 122 ah deep cycles Rolling Eyes and 2 100 watt panels. It's a standalone system so no combiner, but I figure with a couple of sunny days I'll probably be good for a long weekend.

I ran a 65qt Whynter off of an already low (~12.5V) 100Ahr Interstate battery with 50W of portable solar getting a few hours of sun a day and it made it through the weekend from Friday night through Sunday mid-day (ended at a hair over 12V). You should be fine with that set-up.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Also.. have not seen my Edgestar pull 5 amps.. more like 1-2ish.
Maybe when using the fast freeze option?
Kamz notes says "max draw".
I have the manual and it does not say 5 amps in it. But does not post max.. simply says 1amp/75watt (not very helpful)

That 1A/75W spec is for AC mode. When switched over to 12V DC, the EdgeStar can pull up to 5.5 amps... as you say, perhaps that's for using fast-freeze while in DC mode. It would be nice if these fridge companies would spell out the amps in more specifics... that's one reason I went on a search to see if anyone had reported real-world usage figures before buying one.

MsTaboo wrote:
To anyone thinking about one of these chest type fridge/freezers, get one! Very much worth the money. No more soggy food, smelly water, and forays to buy ice, and much better reliability and capacity than the stock Westy fridge. It also opens up storage where the stock fridge was and you can remove it when not needed to reduce weight.

Haven't used mine yet (in the van) and I'm already regretting not buying one sooner. Laughing After just 3 days in NorCal back in August, the cubed ice was completely gone, despite the ambient temp not being hot (hooray for overpriced, air-infused ice Rolling Eyes ). The entire 1500 miles: "How's the ice? Do we need to get some more while here at the gas station?" In the morning, we pulled out a wet milk carton; at night, we pulled out wet containers of dinner stuff. After 4 years of that, I'm done.

My Dometic still works well (not great, but well) so it's still getting used to house beverages, condiments, eggs, etc. to save on opening the now-fridge just to get a drink.

MsTaboo wrote:
Of course having a quality house battery is a must for multi day stays in one spot.

I have a quality (expensive!) battery, the problem is its small amp-hours (bought long before a fridge was even a thought). Sad I'll be testing the ARB in a day or two to see how the battery handles it (do have a solar system now, and will be testing it too).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

MsTaboo wrote:
To anyone thinking about one of these chest type fridge/freezers, get one! Very much worth the money. No more soggy food, smelly water, and forays to buy ice, and much better reliability and capacity than the stock Westy fridge. It also opens up storage where the stock fridge was and you can remove it when not needed to reduce weight.

Haven't used mine yet (in the van) and I'm already regretting not buying one sooner. Laughing After just 3 days in NorCal back in August, the cubed ice was completely gone, despite the ambient temp not being hot (hooray for overpriced, air-infused ice Rolling Eyes ). The entire 1500 miles: "How's the ice? Do we need to get some more while here at the gas station?" In the morning, we pulled out a wet milk carton; at night, we pulled out wet containers of dinner stuff. After 4 years of that, I'm done.

It was soggy food that did me in...
And the weight of a larger chest full of food and ice? Easily as much, if not more than a fridge and battery...

It was just time to try out this approach.
And overall its a huge step forward in comfort and convenience.

We use ours plenty at home and for local trips/picnics/parties etc.

Then.. just last week, we "accidently" left our big huge mombo cooler behind at a fundraising car wash.. It was time for it to go onto someone who can give it a good home.
Good bye big huge mombo cooler.. You did your job admirably well!

danfromsyr wrote:

Last edited by j_dirge on Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Engel MT-35 I bought off ebay for $350. It's probably 13 years old and I hav had to only replace the control board ~$200. I'm still almost half the cost of a new one!

I love it. I use it as a seat and stand on top of it all the time. It fits perfect behind the passenger seat and only protrudes about 2 inches into the walk way.

One thing I love about the small fridge is we pack everything in the basket the night before and put it in the house fridge. It's awesome. That way we know everything fits and is cold when it goes in the van fridge. I start the van fridge cooling that morning before we leave.

One thing I don't like (but they have a fix for it), is the hinges start to slide off so I have to lift the lid and tap them back into place.

It has no digital controls or temp readings, but I don't need it.

I am building another van and was considering buying something else, but personally, there isn't a better fridge. It fits my van and use perfect. I'll might buy the MT-45 this time, but want to sit on one and check the height since that's usually where I sit to eat when we are eating inside the van. Girlfriend gets the comfy seat Smile
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
I have a quality (expensive!) battery, the problem is its small amp-hours (bought long before a fridge was even a thought). Sad I'll be testing the ARB in a day or two to see how the battery handles it (do have a solar system now, and will be testing it too).

I have an ARB 50 and two Die Hard Platinum AGM aux bats and my fridge will run about 3 days in 90-95 degree weather before the bats need charging. Adding Renogy pv panels next year.

And, yes, we climb and sit on it all the time.
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
I've never tried the edgestar but I have tried the Engel and ARB.

Hands down if you can afford it go with the ARB. Cry once and smile later.

Agree on this. I caved in and bought ARB 63qt this year before camping season. We LOVE it. We had some meat leaking on day 3 of our 12 day trip and it was no big deal.... Pull out the basket and disinfect. Had that been a cooler, the ice+water+steak blood cocktail that everything would have been floating in = we would have been throwing out half the contents.

If you are taking trips with just you or you and one other adult then 50qt. is the way to go. Once you fill the 63, it's a beast. On hot nights the fan will make a little noise, but nothing obnoxious. Most of the time the weather was decent so we would just stick ours outside. Either way, cover it with a blanket/beach towel at night (just don't cover the fan ports) I have a newer house battery and I could easily run my fridge two days without any problems. Never tried for a full 3rd day.

We shopped Engle VS ARB for about a year. For us it came down to price + capacity giving ARB the small edge. I think you will be happy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 19

Jump to: