Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What PORTABLE fridge do you use?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had four Engel fridges and two ARB. I started with Engel but soon as I tried the Arb I sold all my Engel. Arb is that much better and the price is actually cheaper. Arb has so many more features it will do circles around Engel. Battery consumption is about the same and noise level is about the same. But Arb has way more features for $100 less.

1. low voltage shut off three settings. ------engel has none

2. separate lower temperature area -------- engel has none

3. Drainage hole for cleaning ------- engel has none

4. Auto Interior light when lid is open ---------- engel has none

5. Digital control ---------- engel has a knob ( what a joke ) One time acciddently turned the dial and all the contents were frozen Evil or Very Mad

Shall I continue... There are more that I can go on..........

I've had them both and tested both for extended amount of time. So I know what I'm talking about. I currently have the 82 QT arb. But I really like the 63qt arb. Perfect for sitting down and shallow and wide for easy access.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have had my Engel MT-45 for a number of years now. I'm sure the ARB fridges have now some added modern features compared to the year my Engel was manufactured. Nevertheless, I'm pretty happy with the performance of my Engel, don't miss anything, it does the job as designed and I bought it second hand in great shape for a decent price, happy camper. Maybe I will look at the ARBs when (if) I need a new one but I'm sure Engel will also catch up with the current offering of fancy features.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked up the specs on the ARB 50 qt fridge. It says the footprint is 27-3/4" long. I keep my porta-pottty in the aisle between my current fridge and the jumpseat. It's 27-1/2" from the porta-potty to the door panel. The Engel 45 qt is 25" long. I'd like to go with the ARB but it would mean a smaller porta-potty which is an expense to consider plus the inconvenience of having to empty a smaller one more often.

I saw one place where it said the ARB was 30" long. Does that mean the handles stick out beyond the 27-3/4" footprint. It doesn't look like the handles can be removed like on the Engel.

30" would be a deal killer for me because it would extend way into the aisle.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
I just looked up the specs on the ARB 50 qt fridge. It says the footprint is 27-3/4" long. I keep my porta-pottty in the aisle between my current fridge and the jumpseat. It's 27-1/2" from the porta-potty to the door panel. The Engel 45 qt is 25" long. I'd like to go with the ARB but it would mean a smaller porta-potty which is an expense to consider plus the inconvenience of having to empty a smaller one more often.

I saw one place where it said the ARB was 30" long. Does that mean the handles stick out beyond the 27-3/4" footprint. It doesn't look like the handles can be removed like on the Engel.

30" would be a deal killer for me because it would extend way into the aisle.

I'll be happy to measure it for you when I get my Westy back from the shop. I can say that the ARB 50 sticks out past the passenger seat a little bit, but not remotely enough to interfere with passing through from front to back. I've never noticed that the handles stick out any further than the footprint of the ARB. In fact, the handles are kind of inset to the unit. I have 2 kids (4 and 7) and have never found the need (nor the desire) to have a porta-potty. But all of our circumstances are different. If you have to have one, a "Cleanwaste" with the bag liners might be the ticket with an ARB: http://www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-GO-anywhere-Porta...orta+potty
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Engel MT-35 and 45 have the same footprint. This is how much space my fridge (MT-35) takes up:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, it's not the largest fridge on the market, but it holds everything we (two people) need for at least a week long trip (longest amount of time off I can really take in a row...).

And the basket fits in the house fridge so we can pack the most efficient and leave it in the house fridge the night before the trip.

ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the photo of the Engel above, I'd say the ARB is either the same or 1" wider at most. Of course, like the Engel 45, the ARB 50 is taller than the Engel 35 (or ARB 35). I'll photo and measure the ARB when I get my van back from the shop.
Jbeverly1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my .02 cents
We use our Dometic CF-25 to supplement the factory Dometic on propane when dry camping. I really wanted something to fit in-between the front seats and am very happy with it.

I generally use it for cold drinks and as long as I have sun on my 80W panel, it does very well keeping things nice and cold using my 50Ah aux battery
A little small but a great addition for those that still use and are happy with the factory Dometic 182

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
I just looked up the specs on the ARB 50 qt fridge. It says the footprint is 27-3/4" long.

The dimensions are exactly what you read: 27-3/4" long (just measured mine). And, yes, no removable handles on the ARB.

For the record, here are the exterior dimensions (in inches) of all the fridges I considered:
ARB 37: 27.75L x 14.96W x 16.85H
ARB 50: 27.75L x 14.96W x 20H
ARB 63: 33.27L x 17.72W x 16.85H

Engel MT35: 25.5L x 14.3W x 16H
Engel MT45: 25.5L x 14.3W x 20H

EdgeStar 430: 24.69L x 17.69W x 20.81H
EdgeStar 630: 28.13L x 17.88W x 20.69H

I recommend plotting out your fridge choices in your van using paper, cardboard, measuring tapes, yardsticks, whatever, to get a visual idea of how much space they'll take up. I immediately ruled out the ARB 63 after doing that.

Weight, in pounds:
ARB 37: 45.6
ARB 50: 49.6
ARB 63: 54.0

Engel MT35: 46.3
Engel MT45: 66.0

EdgeStar 430: 45.0
EdgeStar 630: 57.0

I read somewhere during my Internet travels that ARB and Engel are now under the same parent company. So, while the ARB has a more modern design to it, you wouldn't go wrong an Engel, if you're deciding between the two.

hans j wrote:
And the basket fits in the house fridge so we can pack the most efficient and leave it in the house fridge the night before the trip.

Bloody brilliant idea (ARB 50/63 comes with a basket too). Damn... I can't wait to go camping! Very Happy (ARB 50 gets installed in the van tomorrow; will post pics.)
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed! Very Happy

It's about 1.25" taller than my Igloo cooler, but not a big deal.

Put a few things in it for quick photos, since I found these types of pics beneficial when deciding on which size would be best.

The ARB 50 came with this plug on the DC cord:

Unscrew the 12V socket plug and you get a 2-prong connector that plugs into ARB's accessory socket for hardwiring it to the battery (which it does not come with). Didn't care for either of those, so I cut it off (which ARB says you can do provided you use a 15a fuse and 8 gauge wire), installed spade terminals, and connected them to the new Blue Seas fuse panel, which I mounted in the kitchen cabinet:

I also moved the Dometic's wires off the battery and onto to the new fuse panel (in the process, discovered the 14 gauge wire had a busted ring terminal Shocked ). Removed the on-board AC charger too (which was in the cabinet and wasn't used much anyway) so I could plug the ARB into that outlet.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamz - How do you secure your fridge? I use GW's eye bolt replacements for the seatbelt bolts and heavy duty cam straps through the fridge handles.
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to say that I love our Truckfridge TF41.

It's not super heavy, but is very heavy duty. It's quiet, doesn't draw too much juice, and fits perfectly behind the passenger seat.
There's an imprint on the lid that tells you not to use it as a step, but we sit on it like a bench all the time with no issues at all.

I use the GoWesty eye bolts in the seatbelt bolts, and use a large ring and turnbuckle to keep it anchored.

Here are some semi-crappy photos from when I first installed it, sorry they're all I have around right now.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pondering this very topic.

Really, it's a tad confusing and not all manufacturers are posting much of the needed information to make a wise choice.

Truck Fridge is just such a supplier. There is Little to no information on their web page and but one poor photo!

http://www.truckfridge.com/tf41.html

So I sent them an email asking for more information and I got this reply.......
Bottom line........
I'm not in a rush, I'll wait and see what their new product is.
The short length of this unit appeals to me, only 23" without the handles and with my planned use....... Handles won't be needed!
Plus a VERY attractive Price point! Even with the optional mounting bracket.....$$'s

---------------
"TruckFridge TF41

This model is being revised and more information will be offered at the time of the new release sometime in November 2014 or early 2015.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at your convenience. We'd be happy to help!

Sincerely,
TruckFridge.com
Customer Care Dept
Ph 502-863-4536
M-F 8am-5pm EST

~ TruckFridge - It's where drivers keep their food!~"

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given this Igloo solid state KoolMate40 cooler box by a friend.
I know that they are "iffy" at best.

I show it here because of it's size,
21 1/2" long
15" wide
17" high

It compares very favorably to the Truck Fridge TF 41 shown above, it'a good visual aid!

I don't plan on using the walk through to the rear, hence the floor mounted center console..........

I do plan on using the cooler along side the Jump seat like I show below......
I then plan on a small caninet behind the passenger seat to store the stove, cooking utensils, extra water, etc in. Maybe a small sink on top as well.
The Truck Fridge TF41 will fit without protruding beyond the Jump seat and has a side mounted hinge similar to the ARB for easy access when sitting as shown in this photo....

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Dometic cf50. The first unit we got was defective so we had to sent it back. The replacement unit we got back was working correctly.
We love it; quiet, inside light, digital display for inside temp, set point, etc. It's really efficient, we run it with a 45ah aux bat connected to a 145w solar panel and it's holding its set point without skipping a beat all day and all night. It is very well built and so is the insulated protective cover. It was 200$ cheaper then the similar size Engel. It has a basket inside dividing 2 cold area and it has a dairy section not as cold as the rest of the fridge. It will cool down 20 beers from room temperature to 2deg C in under 3 hours, once cold it runs sporadically just to keep the set point. We put frozen meat in there once thinking it would be tawed out by dinner time like with the good old ice chest but nope, it was still rock hard when we got it out.
We keep it behind the passenger seat, we are use to lose that space because this were we use to keep the ice chest, we deleted the stock fridge years ago.
The only thing we are missing with this system is the abundance of ice to put in our drinks with the ice chest. So we got a very small ice chest just for the ice Rolling Eyes
We tried a koolmate unit but hated it. It does not get cold, it does not run on set point so it's always on, very hard on the battery.
Alex
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Kamz - How do you secure your fridge? I use GW's eye bolt replacements for the seatbelt bolts and heavy duty cam straps through the fridge handles.

Haven't gotten that far. I didn't have my Igloo cooler strapped down, so I don't know if I'll end up strapping the fridge down either. Embarassed (Flame suit now on.) I do know I wouldn't get GoWesty's kit because the turnbuckle gizmos wouldn't work. If I do decide to strap it, I'll go to my local Ace/True Value Hardware to get eye bolt replacements and, like you, use straps.
2016 Golf GTI S
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:

Haven't gotten that far. I didn't have my Igloo cooler strapped down, so I don't know if I'll end up strapping the fridge down either. Embarassed (Flame suit now on.) I do know I wouldn't get GoWesty's kit because the turnbuckle gizmos wouldn't work. If I do decide to strap it, I'll go to my local Ace/True Value Hardware to get eye bolt replacements and, like you, use straps.

Kamz - I know you are a safe driver, it's the other guy (and your new 50-100 lb. head hunter you just put in your van) that I'm concerned about.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Kamz - I know you are a safe driver, it's the other guy (and your new 50-100 lb. head hunter you just put in your van) that I'm concerned about.

And what about all the gear in the back that's not strapped down either that is even more likely to go flying? Confused I know what you're getting at though. I may have to go to Ace to get new screws for the Dometic flue cover I just prettied up, so I'll get some eye bolts while I'm at it. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
...And what about all the gear in the back that's not strapped down either that is even more likely to go flying? Confused I know what you're getting at though. I may have to go to Ace to get new screws for the Dometic flue cover I just prettied up, so I'll get some eye bolts while I'm at it. Wink

All my "dangerous to passengers" gear is in a cabinet, under the bench, or in the Thule box. I only pack soft gear like bedding behind the rear seat.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, someone slap me side the head please!

I just ordered the Last TruckFridge TF41 available for sale that I could find.

I was sucked in by the 23" width without handles. The shortest real refrigerator portable box in this size family.

While I can foresee handles being needed sometimes, they make the unit too wide at 28"! I'll fab up a set from an old seat belt that lie flat against the box when not being used.

The only information that I can find is that the unit draws 6amps which is a LOT! Minor level of concern........

I suspect that this level is for the fast freeze setting they have. I imagine normal refrigeration should be far less.

But I will test it........ My meter will handle up to a 10 amp draw........

Once I get it, they say Wednesday, I'll plug it in and monitor the amp draw as it intially cools and then later as it simply maintains refrigerator temps.
I'll report back!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle

Last edited by djkeev on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a well respect member PM'd me today and said that a two week trip cost them $90 in ice! I feel better now!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 19

Jump to: