Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EGR Valve/Filter Required in NJ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slione
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: EGR Valve/Filter Required in NJ? Reply with quote

I have read that many have removed and blocked their EGR valves. Does anyone know if EGRs are required in NJ for emmisions? I am running on standard and NOT historic plates. I circled the valve and tube that connects to the EGR filter under the tin.

I am asking b/c I am looking to replace my muffler and it matters if one is using a EGR or not.

This picture is from the day I bought my 74 SB. The fuel filter, vacuum hoses, charcoal canister hoses, etc. have all been addressed. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: egr fllter in NJ Reply with quote

Glenn will be right with you... Very Happy
Koeppler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a jerk, but

http://bit.ly/H6mpp3
slione
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Koeppler... Thanks and, yes, that is certainly true but only IF you have historic plates. I am considering making this a daily driver and as such would not meet the restrictions those plates carry. I actually failed NJ emissions and need to get the carb adjusted so I can pass but am doing other work and it is not drivable at present.

What I am trying to understand is how much the EGR setup plays in the emissions testing in NJ. If I can pass without it I will block it at the intake manifold and get a non-EGR muffler.
Koeppler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slione wrote:
@Koeppler... Thanks and, yes, that is certainly true but only IF you have historic plates. I am considering making this a daily driver and as such would not meet the restrictions those plates carry. I actually failed NJ emissions and need to get the carb adjusted so I can pass but am doing other work and it is not drivable at present.

What I am trying to understand is how much the EGR setup plays in the emissions testing in NJ. If I can pass without it I will block it at the intake manifold and get a non-EGR muffler.

Gotcha....any chance of just calling your inspection site to see what's required? Some states require an EGR set-up to be in place, and whether it works or not isn't a problem as long as the emissions are low. Others require it to be working. Some people cheat by leaning out their mixture and others who knows? Sorry I can't be of more help. NY only requires a safety inspection.

This is about a guy in AZ if you haven't seen it

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463226&highlight=pass+inspection
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves, wasn't the EGR a Californa only item in 1974?

Anyone know for sure? Does your emission label state California or 49 State?

Dave

Just checked, 73 was the last year of no EGR on standard transmission units, 74 they all had them but California had their own unique 2 stage unit.

Me? I'd go through and see if it passes emissions. If it does don't sweat it. They do look at engines looking for missing items, if it removed cleanly, the inspectors wouldn't know it was supposed to be there or not. They did check the engine of my 95 Toyota pickup for modifications last month.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: egr Reply with quote

Dave, Here in Calif we had egr AND
( dual heat risers) for 1974 type 1
Different from what is only engine in the pic.
But, that could be a 1973 engine?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: egr Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
Dave, Here in Calif we had egr AND
( dual heat risers) for 1974 type 1
Different from what is only engine in the pic.
But, that could be a 1973 engine?

As I understand it, yes that photo would be a 73 California auto stick set up.
It is a 49 State 74 set up as well.

The system that you describe is a California only 74 setup.

Can you post a picture of your 74 California EGR?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slione
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks (as always) Dave for your help.

old DKP driver: The engine code definitely puts it as a 1974. I would be curious too to see a CA setup if you have one.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: egr and state Reply with quote

Just checking to see what if any info you have found with
your EGR and passing the emission test.
slione
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: egr and state Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
Just checking to see what if any info you have found with
your EGR and passing the emission test.

I'll keep you posted. The car is not running at the moment - the gas tank is out and I need to clean and seal it. Once this is done I'm taking it to a guy near me that can tune my carb with an exhaust sniffer and do a NJ emissions inspection. I'll ask him about it and see what he has to say.

I really want to keep the car as true to stock as possible. Therefore, if in 1974 they all had EGRs, I'll keep mine. Chances are the filter is long clogged/plugged anyway but at least it is there and has the right look.
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1969 Bug that I drove out from California to NJ for my niece has no EGR unit and it passed inspection... but I don't know if later Bugs that are equipped with such a thing require it.

We don't own old VWs, we just take care of them for the next driver
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: egr Reply with quote

Delliot101,Thank God for that... HUH
Actually, we started installing EGR kits @ the dealer in 1971 and they
were made by the STP corporation.

The Feds and Ca. mandated EGR that year

But NO, not for the previous year like your 1969 Wink
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully, here in California, we don't have to worry about smog for anything before 1976 or 1977 anyway...

But in my home state of New Jersey, for the time inspections have been done away with, except for emissions. I think at the inspection station, they will just check to see if it passes emissions. I don't think they will see if there is a charcoal canister, EGR valve, etc.

OR take it to a private garage that specializes in old VWs. I think my sister ended up taking my niece's VW to the Beetle Barn for some work and I assume they inspected it.

baccaruda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I specifically targeted my Beetle based on emissions testing. Anything prior to '75 is exempt, so I bought a '73. I will not voluntarily subject myself to that nonsensical hassle.

Are you sure a '74 has to be tested at all?
slione
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baccaruda wrote:
I specifically targeted my Beetle based on emissions testing. Anything prior to '75 is exempt, so I bought a '73. I will not voluntarily subject myself to that nonsensical hassle.

In NJ at least, it will be held to 1974 emissions requirements. I agree with Dave that if it is missing the EGR, no one will likely know the difference but I do want to be authentic in my restoration.

I will say this... When I took it in a few months ago or so to the local state inspection center, I got a kick out of the fact that about 3-4 of the inspection guys came over and tool a look-see. I like to think it was because they liked the car and not because the kid who was doing my inspection couldn't figure out where the engine was. Laughing

I did fail for emissions. I measured 1138 ppm for HC (standard is 500) and CO% was 8.59 (standard is 5.00).
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slione wrote:
baccaruda wrote:

In NJ at least, it will be held to 1974 emissions requirements. I agree with Dave that if it is missing the EGR, no one will likely know the difference but I do want to be authentic in my restoration.

I will say this... When I took it in a few months ago or so to the local state inspection center, I got a kick out of the fact that about 3-4 of the inspection guys came over and tool a look-see. I like to think it was because they liked the car and not because the kid who was doing my inspection couldn't figure out where the engine was. Laughing

I did fail for emissions. I measured 1138 ppm for HC (standard is 500) and CO% was 8.59 (standard is 5.00).

OH YEAH!!! I knew that I knew this user name!!! Ha ha!

As far as authenticity is concerned, my 2 cents is that unless you are going to be REALLY scrutinized in a car show, I would just get rid of the thing. Especially on a later Bug. If it was a split, or oval... that's different!

slione
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delliott101 wrote:
OH YEAH!!! I knew that I knew this user name!!! Ha ha!

Smile

I'm not looking to do any shows and I hear what you are saying... The authenticity is just for me. My goal is that someday (someday is a long time away) it will look like you time traveled to 1979. It won't be perfect but it looks good and all original (except for things like the hidden iPod plug and the like). Wink

Not to derail the topic but... Did your truck's transmission fair well after you dropped off the bug in NJ? I recall you telling me at the show that you were having troubles on the trip. Hope you made it back OK without too much trouble!
slione
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW... All the stuff may still be there for looks but that does not mean it has to be functioning. The EGR can be blocked at the intake manifold and the EGR does not have to be connected to the muffler. What I don't know is how much function the EGR plays into the emission testing results - but apparently not too much. I'll make a final post on this once I get the car running again and re-inspected.
delliott101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slione wrote:

Not to derail the topic but... Did your truck's transmission fair well after you dropped off the bug in NJ? I recall you telling me at the show that you were having troubles on the trip. Hope you made it back OK without too much trouble!

The Overdrive heated too much on the trip out there as we forgot to turn it off while towing the Bug with the tow bar... on the return trip on the following Sunday, the transmission conked out in Brewster Kansas. We needed to get towed to the next town over (Goodland) and the next day bought a 2006 Dodge Durango. I almost had a nervous breakdown being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

My wife wanted an adventure and she got it!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: