Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Smell in the heater found
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Smell in the heater found Reply with quote

i have a 73 that i changed over to the fresh air style last year no smell it worked great this year i have been fighting a smell that i could not find i thought oil smell or exhaust the smell was still there i had forgot that i had parked my thing in my sisters garage for 2 weeks in oct and forgot she said she found mice in the garage i was driving it thursday and the interior filled up with smoke i stopped the car grabbed the fire extinguisher turned of the battery safety switch could not find the fire got it home checked the heat duct and found mice turds the mice had built a nest in the duct and it caught fire the smell was the mice turds getting hot replaced the duct and the smell was gone so beware of barn finds and if you have a smell you cant find check the ducts i had also replace the heat box i guess i will put the old one back on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many of my friends busses ,and my bus i just got as well, is no stranger to mice infestation from their long slumbers in the fields they are found in.. the long metal heater duct that runs under the bus gets a harsh cleaning with high pressure water and detergent. mouse shit is nothing to play around with.
DougD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewww... fried mouse turd sounds like a smell you can't unsmell
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougD wrote:
ewww... fried mouse turd sounds like a smell you can't unsmell

It's something that could come back to "Hanta" you. (pun intended). Laughing
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Smell in the heater found Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
i have a 73 that i changed over to the fresh air style last year no smell it worked great this year i have been fighting a smell that i could not find i thought oil smell or exhaust the smell was still there i had forgot that i had parked my thing in my sisters garage for 2 weeks in oct and forgot she said she found mice in the garage i was driving it thursday and the interior filled up with smoke i stopped the car grabbed the fire extinguisher turned of the battery safety switch could not find the fire got it home checked the heat duct and found mice turds the mice had built a nest in the duct and it caught fire the smell was the mice turds getting hot replaced the duct and the smell was gone so beware of barn finds and if you have a smell you cant find check the ducts i had also replace the heat box i guess i will put the old one back on

Holy shit is that awful grammar. Ever hear of a period?
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herewego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Smell in the heater found Reply with quote

[/quote]

Holy shit is that awful grammar. Ever hear of a period?[/quote]

Citroen's posts can take a little work sometimes, but he's an old guy who knows his stuff and who has provided lots of information in this forum. I, for one, don't mind taking an extra couple of seconds to work out his posts. The value he provides is well worth it to me, and I'd rather read them as they are than not have them at all. Just my humble opinion -- he hardly needs me to speak for him.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Smell in the heater found Reply with quote

herewego wrote:

Citroen's posts can take a little work sometimes, but he's an GREAT guy who knows his stuff and who has provided lots of information in this forum. I, for one, don't mind taking an extra couple of seconds to work out his posts. The value he provides is well worth it to me, and I'd rather read them as they are than not have them at all. Just my humble opinion -- he hardly needs me to speak for him.

X2 (fixed)
wv181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or is it funny that a guy from West Virginia is giving grammer lessons to a guy from Kentucky. Laughing
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wv181 wrote:
Is it just me or is it funny that a guy from West Virginia is giving grammer lessons to a guy from Kentucky. Laughing

Oh the irony Laughing

Citroen doesn't use periods because he stops for no one. Laughing

That makes him,...."The most interesting 181 owner on the forum"

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herewego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Smell in the heater found Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
X2 (fixed)

Fair enough. I don't know him personally, and I don't use "old" as an insult. Quite the opposite in this case. Part of my point was that he is not some lazy teenager posting in text-speak, and (again imho) doesn't deserve to be scolded like one.
lifeisgoodin29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: tube screen Reply with quote

I have found living in the desert that rodents play hell on my vehicles. What I have done is to place a plug made up of hardware cloth in the heater tube to stop the infestation of mice in the heater channels. The hardware cloth allows the air to pass through but keeps out any intruders
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steel wool also works. they try to eat it - once.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i am old and i am from ky believe it or not i have 2 years of college and i still ask my wife how to spell words and i dont mind being corrected. thanks for the good words my brother and i that i call the domeck brothers like to work on cars and help people.with him doing the body work and me doing the mechanical we have made most the mistakes so we can help others to not make the same mistakes we have made i guess i type like i talk non stop hope to see some of you at rons show ths july and thanks again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And i was just posting last night that we had been in a "Troll Free" zone for some time just as the Grammatik-und Rechtschreibungs-Polizei post.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wv181 wrote:

I'm not from WV. Just live here. I was born in Orange County CA and grew up in Los Angeles County. Therefor, I speak, and type English. I have no doubt the OP is a great guy, but that post took 2 or 3 reads to descypher.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, along the lines of the original post, I'd check all the cooling tin for nests too. I've taken apart a decent number of engines that had nests, be it mice or insects, directly on top of the cylinders, right in the airflow path.
07 Boxster
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree i checked also i removed all heat ducts from front to back and i will be replacing them with custom made metal tubes with steel wool a good idea . Thanks sorry i will try to type better but when i typed that i had just got back from a 700 mile trip picking up a car and i had been up since 4:00 am and it was 10:00 pm and i was a little tired.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the smell of burning mouse turds in the morning. It smells like......well, burning mouse turds. Very Happy
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:
I'm not from WV. Just live here. I was born in Orange County CA and grew up in Los Angeles County. Therefor, I speak, and type English. I have no doubt the OP is a great guy, but that post took 2 or 3 reads to descypher.

You might want to learn proper grammar and use of punctuation before you complain about others.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Row row row your troll gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, punctuation is all about an aberration of the human condition..

K-mann

BtW wtf does descypher (decipher) spull…
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: