Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me Buggy, Engine questions.
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CR500RIDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: New to me Buggy, Engine questions. Reply with quote

Hello all, I recently purchased my first rail buggy and I just had a few questions about it. The motor that is in it is I am assuming a dual port 1600, and I think it's time for a rebuild. I am looking at just getting a larger engine instead of rebuilding this one. Is a 2332 a 1600 that has just been built and bored out? Also what kind of trans are people running with a larger motor like this? What is the difference between short block and long block? Thank you guys in advance!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is a 2332 a 1600 that has just been built and bored out?

Basically, but there are several other considerations. Aside from the larger bore, it will also have a stroker crank. The case needs to have a lot of machine work done to accomodate this, so you must start with a high quality case. Larger engines also often run a more aggressive cam and different ratio rockers as well. The heads get a lot of attention with larger valves and other work.

Since you are investing some serious $$$ you will want to install a full flow oil filter and cooler. You will want a fairly large oil cooler with an electric fan with an engine that large.

You will want to upgrade the carburation as well.

Quote:
Also what kind of trans are people running with a larger motor like this?

A Bus IRS transmission is the most popular, along with the Bus CV joints (you need the stub axles as all as the drive flanges). Porsche 930 CV joints are even better.

Quote:
What is the difference between short block and long block?

I've always understood it to mean the short block doesn't include the heads whereas the long block does, but I could be wrong. In any case, I would recommend having the same builder do the entire engine. Everything needs to match up.

There's a lot more info out there, especially in the Engine forum on The Samba. I hope I at least got you started.

Personally, if I had a rail like yours I would build a 1915, which uses the stock crank and larger bore. Saves a bundle on machine work, you can use the same carbs, and it will have plenty of power to get you where you want to go.

Lee
GTBRADLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking Good. You should probably invest in new front tires before you put money in a big engine Laughing
CR500RIDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that the 2332 might be too much for this little rail, I think you are correct as far as going with a 1915. I just don't know if that will give me the power that I am looking for. I'd like to be able to pull a wheelie and keep up with at least most standard cars on the road. I'm working on the new front tires, I had to order eccentric bushings first though because it didn't have them on it at all so my understanding is there is no way to adjust camber and alignment without them?
CR500RIDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be cheaper/better to just build the motor I have into a 1915 or to buy one already built? I was looking at west coast core engines.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the search function in the buyer feedback section BEFORE you decide on any builder. There is also a sticky in the engine forums.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Samba VW Dictionary > http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/dic/s.php

"Short block refers to the bare engine including the engine case, crankshaft, and pistons. It does not include the heads or any external accessories such as intake manifolds, carburetors, generator/alternator, or fan shroud."

bryan
GTBRADLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the point that no matter how good it was built it must be installed and set up correctly then maintained correctly. Otherwise that highdollar motor chokes and pukes!
LeeVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was thinking that the 2332 might be too much for this little rail, I think you are correct as far as going with a 1915. I just don't know if that will give me the power that I am looking for. I'd like to be able to pull a wheelie and keep up with at least most standard cars on the road.

I don't think a 2332 would be too much for the rail. That depends on how heavy your right foot is. I think any of the big bore engines would keep up with traffic fine, but the torque of a stroker motor is a whole lot of fun. It all boils down to how you want to drive the car and what you expect from it. Oh, and how much you want to spend. You could always split the difference and built a nice 2180. That little rail would scoot with something like that.

Lee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: