Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Better Than a Barn Find.....My 1957 Horizon Blue Euro/Export
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Better Than a Barn Find.....My 1957 Horizon Blue Euro/Export Reply with quote

Introducing "Blauchen" my June 1957 Horizon Blue European/Export Oval Window. Smile

I bought this car off the Samba back in late October 2011 and just had it shipped to me last week, the car is a very unique Oval Window, special ordered by a US Navy Scientist in May 1957 through MAHAG, Munich, West Germany and brought back to the USA in 1958.

The car is a European spec car, with German Cloth upholstery and semaphore turn signals (SWF D code) but, since the car was scheduled to be shipped back to the USA, the car also received, overrider bumpers (RAM protection) sealed beam headlights, bullet turn signals, MPH speedometer and American snow flake taillights.

All these parts I suspect were added prior to the car being shipped to the States, (at MAHAG Munich) while the bullet turn signals and the semaphores worked TOGETHER with/on the same turn signal switch!

The man drove the car for 2,000 or so miles and then gave it to his Mother, (in ca. 1959) who drove it the rest of the time, till about 1980, since then the car had been standing in a dry garage, preserved and waiting to be found.........

The car is a 100% original garage find, only the tires, brake pads, lines, wheel and master cylinders, spark plugs, an intake manifold, battery and a muffler have been changed/renewed since June 1957.

The chassis and pans are 100% factory solid, rot and cancer free, only slight surface rust, a NEVER welded "virgin" Oval Window.

The interior is 100% original and almost perfect condition, just some stains on the door panel fabric and the top right corner of the drivers seat is worn through, the rest of the seats are like new, just dusty/dirty from sitting around 30+ years without cleaning.

The headliner is also like new, just slightly aged looking and dusty, all firm and no sags, looks amazing!

The paint is 98% - 2% faded/surface rust and the chrome has "patina", small dents and scratches, what you would call "character!" Smile

The motor is the all original matching numbers one, hardly broken in with only 27,400 Original Miles, documented and an all Original 6 volt system!

The motor cranks right over and purrrrs like a kitten, running like a fine Swiss watch! Very Happy

I posted some photos from the garage it was found/stored in and also the car coming to Florida via tractor trailer taken by the PO, I'll have more photos of the car posted shortly......... Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Enjoy!

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:04 pm; edited 32 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, wonderful score! Enjoy and do it your way.
srm1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sweat Applause . What's your plans with it Question Restore, Leave it ? I thinks it would look bitchen like this. Maybe not lowered on Escras. Can't wait to see some more pics.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan now is to get it all the mechanical stuff sorted out and the car road ready. Smile

The car will be an overall "preservation restoration" just replacing seals, rubber and the tires, no modifications to the original parts, other than making them work, or work better! Very Happy

I'm staying with the stock original two tone wheels with some radials on them or maybe silver painted 1963 Lemmerz Porsche 356B wheels and finned aluminum brake drums which I have in storage, I haven't decided yet which wheels I want to use?

Later down the road maybe a CIP 1/ Mr Wob - Abarth 4-tip Muffler for a nice sound and at last add my original 1957 USFIG (US FORCES IN GERMANY) license plate on the front bumper and that's it for the outside of the car.......

As for inside, I'm not the big accessory nut, I like practial things to use........I just want some pre 1964 *Pop Out* quarter windows, add my Rare American AM/FM/Marine Band Blaupunkt "Frankfurt" and a dual base mount antenna, an accessory "4-Speed Pattern" shift knob and a Ra Bambus tray/ under dash shelf, that's it! Smile

The original paint I will buff out and leave the patina and surface rust etc. I've already done the *Simple Green" treatment and also used 0000 steel wool and Carnauba wax on parts of the cars paint in the patina areas, it still has a long way to go till it has the "factory shine" back it it, but I have lot's of time to take it easy on it, I'm sure I'll get alot of good advice here too, I will talk more about my cleaning up the car in the next few days......

Tom
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Wed May 02, 2012 7:20 pm; edited 12 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fabbe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find, your are lucky man Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking car! I'm hoping you LT the hell out of that thing. I'm from the lowering crowd but that one needs to be preserved! Good luck with it.
ViLL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet car!

Wonder where I was when this one popped up in the classifieds... Razz
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViLL wrote:
Sweet car!

Wonder where I was when this one popped up in the classifieds... Razz

Here was the original ad:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1210766

It was only up for about 5 days or maybe a little less?

I interviewed the PO and as soon as I found out it had a German cloth interior and semaphores, I bought it sight un-seen!

And I negotiated on the price and I paid less than what was posted there........

I'm very very happy about this car, I've looked for one like this since I moved back to the states from Germany in 1996.
(I was in the US Army in Germany for 9 years and 3 years working there as a civilian and I was very spoiled I always owned/drove European/Semaphore cars) :p

I really hadn't expected to ever find a clean unmolested European Oval Window again, well at least not here already in the states. Smile

I'm taking my time with the paint and preservation, once it's on the road it will be driven, it's pretty much begging to be driven, the car has been panpered all it's life, it deserves some fun long road trips.

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Thu May 24, 2012 1:07 am; edited 7 times in total
German U-Boat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unique find! Semaphores and bullets...totally rad! Hope to see more follow up pics... Very Happy
vw57drvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im anxious to see what that original paint can look like. What is on the front fenders? Odd discoloration.
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw57drvr wrote:
Im anxious to see what that original paint can look like. What is on the front fenders? Odd discoloration.

Yes, that's surface rust, seems the front fenders may have been sprayed at MAHAG before the car left Germany, they don't quite match colorwise, but the rust has cleaned up for the most part, I think the OG paint will polish up nicely. Smile

I'll be showing new photos shortly......

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some photos as the car came home to Florida......

Here's some shots from the first night home, I was quite worried watching the car teetering on that trailer, but the driver treated the car well and they got it here all in one piece Smile

ATTENTION! ~ If you need a great shipper on for your classic VW please use Auto Shipper's Express at 1-800-454-1315 ~ www.shipauto.com ~ and ask for Mike.

They were very professional and I got an amazing rate for "First On Last Off" service! Very Happy

I was really blown away by the overall condition of the car, as I've said before I bought this car sight un-seen after seeing some simple snap shots, but as soon as the truck driver fired up the car on the trailer and I "heard" for the first time what kinda sound was coming out of that 36hp, I *knew* I had bought a good, healthy, original car!

As these photos were taken the car was not washed yet and I just briefly went over looking at the car, pans are like new, just slight surface rust (what do I treat the pans with on the outside to stop further rust?)
I'm sure there's people here who can give me some good suggesstions???

The paint under the trunk lid is all like new, the dash cardboard is in amazing condition and under the deck lid paint is also very clean and the motor is still running on all it's original parts, only the fan belt, spark plugs and muffler have been changed since 1957.......

Next photos will be from the start of the clean up, I'll post them soon! Smile

Enjoy!

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The condition looks amazing, Tom. Can't wait to see it.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
I agree. The condition looks amazing, Tom. Can't wait to see it.

Hey There, How have you been?

Haven't talked to you in a while, hope you and your wife are well Smile

Yeah, been polishin, and cleaning...... and cleaning and polishing since last Thursday on it, taking a break today now, just after rubbing some polishing compound over parts of the paint, I want to post some photos, I think I'm going at it the right way, I have to find out more about preservation and preparing the patina'd parts (rust on the paint) etc.

TTYS

Tom
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some photos of the car the next day, after the Simple Green Treatment (wiped on, wait a few seconds and wipe clean with a dry towel) and then the entire car washed with a mild liquid soap, rinsed and dry toweled down.

Grit, dirt and dust all gone, outside of the car after the Simple Green is very clean and now paint's ready for polishing compound and wax, more photos coming soon. Smile

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Tue May 01, 2012 2:37 am; edited 2 times in total
pieeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, Sweet! Nice to see the pictures here on Samba. A little Easyoff oven cleaner on those touch up spots to remove them, a good buff and Hit The Road Baby!
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a sweet find! How 'bout some interior pics especially the cloth and door cards? The pics you have make it look surreal- and that's cool!
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:

..almost looks like a picture taken in an odd focal length of an old monogram VW model.

looking very cool..!
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxkiteflyer wrote:
What a sweet find! How 'bout some interior pics especially the cloth and door cards? The pics you have make it look surreal- and that's cool!

I'll post some interior shots soon........I'm working on the outside for now, need to get the car looking just right, I've had some problems finding a insurance company, the underwriters from State Farm were assh*les! Sad

Tom
spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
boxkiteflyer wrote:

I'll post some interior shots soon........I'm working on the outside for now, need to get the car looking just right, I've had some problems finding a insurance company, the underwriters from State Farm were assh*les! Sad

Tom
try Haggerty!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: