Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ohio- Sand Rail Street legal
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
szuppo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Ohio- Sand Rail Street legal Reply with quote

I just bought a sand rail and have a title, plates and insurance for. Does anyone know exactly what it needs to be street legal in Ohio? I have headlights and brake lights, rear view mirror, seat belts and a spark arrestor for an exhaust which isn't any louder than some bikes I hear on the road.
Will I need anything else for street use in Ohio? Thanks.
forkzilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goggles, unless it has a windsheild.
richardson.bryan60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call local BMV they will give you a list. From what i can rememberi think you have everything.
tdonaldson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headlights (brights/dims) (bright indicator light) totalling less than five
windsheild (doesn't specify material)
windsheild wiper
brakes on tat least two weels
emergency brake (system seperate from hydraulic)
turn signals
hazards
mirror
belts
horn

Check on the insurance. Geico was screwing me on it, Allstate tried to. Progressive seemed to understand that it was a modified off-road Beetle. Mine is a rail. And to be honest, I don't have a wiper, horn, e-brake, horn, mirror, or bright indicator light. I've been driving mine as a daily for about 9 months out of the past year and a half, and I've never been pulled over.
richardson.bryan60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father-in-law has a rail he has statefarm in ohio and they are kol with him..
tdonaldson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geico was ecstatic with me.
Ecstatic about charging me three hundred dollars for six months of minimum coverage liability coverage. My F150 is less than 80 a month for "not minimum" liability.

They tried to play it off like it was a specialized off road vehicle and that increased the risk. But included the fact that they wouldn't cover any damages or injuries that occurred while using the vehicle for off road driving. So how much sense does that make?
szuppo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Progressive and had them add the VW Buggy and remove a Not at Fault accident my wife had two years ago. My policy went down $25.00 with the addition of the Buggy.
aliaswog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having trouble getting my "homebuilt" rail covered for the street. I have all the required equipment and now have a Colorado assigned VIN (eight months later). Several insurance companies turned me down (54 yo male never a ticket or accident, high credit score). I went to this site and they got back to me with a quote the next day. http://www.stratumins.com/
They do lots of dune buggy insurance and were very knowledgeable on the subject. I was quoted about $220 for 6 months at a higher than minimum liability. Everything can be done over the phone and through e-mail. Pretty painless, and they do business in 40 states. Hope this helps others.
tdonaldson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a state to state price difference, but my driving record is less than resplendent, I don't have minimum and I only pay $74 for six months. Just paid it yesterday actually. Compared to $96 for my F150.
vwhotair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a buggy titled as a home made vehicle in Ohio. Yes you need a windshield and a wiper. I was pulled over 1 time and was hassled about not having a windshield and get this....he didn't like my title because it said home made vehicle not vw. The outcome was get a windshield and wiper.

Now...does anybody have a vw or buggy title from Indiana they would like to sell?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: