Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question on lifted 1987 2 wheel drive auto trans Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tipsword
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Question on lifted 1987 2 wheel drive auto trans Westy Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to help a new Vanagon owner figure out why the CV boots / joints keep failing on his van.

He just picked this up in Vancouver BC and ended up broken down here in Salem Oregon.

He put out a plea for help on the Vanagon rescue squad and I helped him get to a reputable ASE mechanic and the best VW autoparts house in the area.

He got a brand new set of Lobro CV's installed (complete kit) and made it from Salem to Grants Pass before the inner drivers side CV boot split at the flange.

The van itself is up on GoWesty lift springs and like I mentioned it's an automatic.

(there was a mess with CV's and axles with the prior owner just before the sale).

Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this and if there's known issues.

Thanks,
Brian

On behalf of DJ Polzin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifted too high thus the axles are too short.

On a long extension of the suspension it pulls the joint apart ripping the boot.

You can't keep raising up the body while the wheel center point stays static.... Something has to give eventually.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'80vanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On automatic transaxles the drive axles are different lengths on the drivers side vs. the passenger side. They are also a different length then the manual equivalent. I would first make sure that the correct length axles are installed. The Bentley manual should have the proper lengths listed.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the above, plus this tidbit. To achieve the smallish lift on the Syncro, VW felt it was worth it to do a fairly expensive modification to simultaneously drop the engine/trans lower in the body. The purpose of that was to keep the axle/cv angles small enough they would last. Your guy there sounds like he has lift springs made for a heavier vehicle (meaning his actual lift is higher yet), doesn't have the lowered engine/trans, plus may have incorrect axle lengths due to the above noted comment on an issue only with automatics - which he has. The perfect trifecta leading to the perfect storm of constant CV/boot issues.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
All the above, plus this tidbit. To achieve the smallish lift on the Syncro, VW felt it was worth it to do a fairly expensive modification to simultaneously drop the engine/trans lower in the body. The purpose of that was to keep the axle/cv angles small enough they would last. .

Don't know, but I think the engine lowering was to fit the gas tank.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But mostly.. the new CV boots are junk.

I have split several.. In one new set of 4 boots, I had 2 split within the first 500 miles.
I put my old OEM boots on to replace those.. I think they are the originals..
with 160k on them.
Same location as the brand new ones that failed.. and they are still going strong several thousand miles later..
The two new boots that did not split, are looking OK, too.

On this last install, I left the clamps/zipties off.

I am riding about 1" higher than stock MAN 2WD GL... or 17-3/4" to 18"

Bummer is.. those two are the last of my OEM boots.

We need aftermarket silicone boots.. some enterprising soul should be on it by now?

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he wants to run it higher (and has the correct axles)
he's going to need Type-IV (THING) or Porche 944 CV joints.
and rockford boots are recommended (they're $25ea for boots only)

a walk into the baja-off road forum will return the right sources
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

Exactly! This is why I have started stocking the Rockford brand CV boots and have had really good luck with them.

And as mentioned, if the CVs themselves start giving him issues, changing to 944 CVs would be the next step.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my lifted 2wd, 4sp Carat, and when I still had the 2.1 wbx'er, I lowered the motor/trans an inch using square tubing at the mounts. Don't know how much trouble the auto would be to do.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
j_dirge wrote:

Exactly! This is why I have started stocking the Rockford brand CV boots and have had really good luck with them.

And as mentioned, if the CVs themselves start giving him issues, changing to 944 CVs would be the next step.

Good to know Chris!
I'll be ordering a set of Rockfords from you sometime this summer.

My 944s have worked well, thus far... certainly worth the extra dough.
lube well.. good boots and should provide 10s of thousands of hassle-free miles.

Cheers!

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: