Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Talk me into a Steamboat / Jackson Hole Family Road Trip
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wontfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Talk me into a Steamboat / Jackson Hole Family Road Trip Reply with quote

Hey Y'all

I'm trying to talk my self into another road trip far far away from home!
Our last Colorado trip (Rocky Mountain High Thread) was a success even with 2 youngsters and a Colorado Campfire ban. Pressure is on if I mention here!
Now the kids (6 and 9) are older, wiser and stronger. I'm just older.
I get a little nervous thinking about another trip but that is probably normal.
I'm actually a bit tore up typing this.
We'll be fine if we take it slow, stay within a slim to slimmer budget, and keep the kids entertained. We have friends to set us up if we make it to both towns.
So the plan begins here.

Thanks!!
Wontfalia
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... if you don't want to have a great time...don't go. will that work? Laughing

82 Diesel Westy
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Grand Tetons near Jackson Hole! It's not for the faint of heart, but my wife and I were ambitious enough to take our two kids, then 4 and 8, wilderness canoe camping on Leigh Lake as part of our road trip through the area. A thunderstorm hit us on the way in, the mosquitoes were HORRIBLE, my wife was scared to death of Grizzly bears the whole time, but the views and solitude were spectacular. One of my favorite family trips ever!

I made a couple of videos. They are a bit drawn out, but will give you an idea of the scenery. It's totally doable as a day paddling trip as well. Just watch out for those afternoon thunderstorms!.

Link

Link

These are the veiws from our campsite. We didn't see another person on the lake once we were in camp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk me into a Steamboat / Jackson Hole Family Road Trip Reply with quote

I'd say do it if you have the time and funds because you and the rig are not getting any younger and it will be memorable no matter what happens, even if a grizzly is jumping up and down on the roof of your camper Wink
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely go for it!

We did Tetons and Yellowstone a few years ago with our son who was 8 at the time. He loved it and still talks about it.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it. That's probably one of our most popular routes for renters in the summertime.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LachlanMcLean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado is full. Please detour north through Nebaska into Wyoming. Laughing
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:

My wife and I camped at the sites just beyond where the sunlight is hitting in this picture on our "pre-honeymoon". I hopped up onto the end of a fallen tree, the top of which was about a foot in diameter and just off the ground at our tent. By the time I walked to the far end I was 8 feet in the air and the hollow broken stump was large enough for me to comfortably stand inside. Must've been 10 in diameter at the base.

Watching the "bat superhighway" through the mesh of our tent roof is another highlight that I'll never forget.
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it and make some memories!

Matt
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
BlueGrasser wrote:

My wife and I camped at the sites just beyond where the sunlight is hitting in this picture on our "pre-honeymoon". I hopped up onto the end of a fallen tree, the top of which was about a foot in diameter and just off the ground at our tent. By the time I walked to the far end I was 8 feet in the air and the hollow broken stump was large enough for me to comfortably stand inside. Must've been 10 in diameter at the base.

Watching the "bat superhighway" through the mesh of our tent roof is another highlight that I'll never forget.

The angle of the photo is misleading, so likely we were exactly in the same camp spot. I don't think there were any more spots until you got right under Mount Moraine.

We were actually on the western side of the lake, on the point, and the there is a little cove going to that tree line. Wide angle distorts the perspective a little as well.

Beautiful spot! I'd love to go back, but wife says no way Very Happy
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:
I don't think there were any more spots until you got right under Mount Moraine.

Yeah, we at the foot of the mtn (Moran). I'd love to go back too. It's a nice 3-day weekend trip for us but my wife gets antsy sitting in a boat for so long, she's more of a biking/running nut.

To the OP, there's nothing I can think of to turn you off of the trip. Jackson (the town) is pretty crowded in summer but the surroundings are fantastic. Depending how you go, and how you feel about long desolate stretches of road, there's a way to go from Steamboat to Rock Springs, WY past a place called "Gates of Ladore". It's a National Rec area or something like that. It's been 10 years or so since I drove it but I remember it being really cool. Do watch for oil drilling traffic though.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're away on this trip the Sambanista's will sneak into your house and add on to your garage room for another 5 Vanagons, a full workshop with a Lift and a new Snap-On Tool Chest full of tools.
wontfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't wait to log on to read what everyone has said. Thanks for commenting, and for posting the awesome photos...It's Motivating.
I'll start researching some camp spots between Steamboat and Jackson. It can certainly be primitive but a few that may have other kids running around might help. Fishing holds their attention these days and we would pack bikes. The bears do freak me out though. A black bear ravaged my campsite/backpack when I was in high school in the Smokey's.
I'm thinking about 16 days total. My friends in Steamboat have kids. My friends in Jackson have a garage full of KTM's. Targhee Music Fest may be a final destination?

Thanks!!
highaltidude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If going FROM Steamboat TO Jackson.....

Go west out of Steamboat towards Vernal, Utah. You pass right by Dinosaur National Monument. Going in either the east or west (has the visitor's center) side is pretty cool.....

Then north out of Vernal up 530 and see the Flaming Gorge.

Then you can head to Jackson....
Smile

Chuck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wontfalia wrote:
. Targhee Music Fest may be a final destination?

Thanks!!

We'll see you there! Very Happy
Deadhead63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highaltidude wrote:
If going FROM Steamboat TO Jackson.....

Go west out of Steamboat towards Vernal, Utah. You pass right by Dinosaur National Monument. Going in either the east or west (has the visitor's center) side is pretty cool.....

Then north out of Vernal up 530 and see the Flaming Gorge.

Then you can head to Jackson....
Smile

Chuck

+1

Plan a day at Dinosaur.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get away from crowds in the summer at Teton park getting ont he water is a good way to do it, String lake is typically pretty crowded as it is shallow and much warmer than any other body of water in the area, warm enough to comfortably swim in in the middle of summer. Leigh lake requires a portage to get to from the north end of String lake, many people don't want to carry their boat so it is usually empty. The portage is 200 yards or so.

There is a lot of really cool planet between Colorado and Teton park, central Utah has so much awesome country, there are some really cool day hikes (short to long, super easy flat to bouldering, in the san rafael swell, dispersed camping allowed all over the place, some really cool places to camp and hike, epic slot canyons all over the place, and minimal people as its not a national park/monument so it must not be that cool, right? Wink

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the videos of Leigh and String Lake. I was a ranger in the Tetons for 4 summers back in the '70's and would camp at the same campsite whenever I could. Sometimes I would canoe in after work, getting there in the dark and then get up in the morning to make it to work.

I remember being at that campsite one night when there was a Aurora Borealis that was reflected in the glass smooth water and went overhead to about the 2 o'clock position. I think it was probably the most magical experience I ever had.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. The pictures are awesome and I'm waiting for my sweetie to come to bed to launch the videos. It looks like places we visit up here in N. Idaho, Montana and British Columbia except we are usually in our motorboat. But we are super excited to have added a pair of Kayaks from Costco last month to our travel retinue. We borrowed a pair last year for two Vanagon trips and marveled at getting access to smaller bodies of water. Completely different and far more serene. After all, if there is a boat launch big enough for our boat, others are there as well. But the kayaks we can slide in anywhere. So we are excited now to have them.

As for your proposed trip. Where do I start? Time in beautiful places like these with my kids is priceless. They are 14 and 17 and time is limited. One day I will wake up and they will be moving away and it will seem like the blink of an eye. This will happen to you and when my kids were yours ages, it all seemed blissfully and comfortably in the future. So do it - my advice. And find ways to make the drive fun as well. Give each of them a 2 hour block of time in the day that the car radio plays their music. Buy dental whitening strips and whiten your teeth while you drive. Stop at a dead deer with a knife and do an autopsy if nobody's driving by - whatever might be a fun thing. We once rescued a turtle whose buddy had just been squashed on the road and brought him in the Vanagon on a quest to find the perfect pond away from cars. He got me a speeding ticket by crawling under the brake pedal as we descended to the Grand Coulee Dam. Then we stuck a GoPro camera to him and videod the underside of the Vanagon, and he managed to sneak off under a fence and was brought back by guys in fatigues with automatic weapons and smiles. Finally, we let him make a video as he swam off into his perfect pond with my son chasing him with the GoPro on a branch swimming behind. So, all manner of things will pop up if you prime the pump.

But avoid the mosquitos if you can. We are fortunate up here. So few mosquitos that I painted the house 15 years ago and never reinstalled the screens. Makes camping and hiking that much better.

FInally, do a video starring your kids and post it here on Samba. I am a complete and total sucker for videos with Vans and kids.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. The pictures are awesome and I'm waiting for my sweetie to come to bed to launch the videos. It looks like places we visit up here in N. Idaho, Montana and British Columbia except we are usually in our motorboat. But we are super excited to have added a pair of Kayaks from Costco last month to our travel retinue. We borrowed a pair last year for two Vanagon trips and marveled at getting access to smaller bodies of water. Completely different and far more serene. After all, if there is a boat launch big enough for our boat, others are there as well. But the kayaks we can slide in anywhere. So we are excited now to have them.

As for your proposed trip. Where do I start? Time in beautiful places like these with my kids is priceless. They are 14 and 17 and time is limited. One day I will wake up and they will be moving away and it will seem like the blink of an eye. This will happen to you and when my kids were yours ages, it all seemed blissfully and comfortably in the future. So do it - my advice. And find ways to make the drive fun as well. Give each of them a 2 hour block of time in the day that the car radio plays their music. Buy dental whitening strips and whiten your teeth while you drive. Stop at a dead deer with a knife and do an autopsy if nobody's driving by - whatever might be a fun thing. We once rescued a turtle whose buddy had just been squashed on the road and brought him in the Vanagon on a quest to find the perfect pond away from cars. He got me a speeding ticket by crawling under the brake pedal as we descended to the Grand Coulee Dam. Then we stuck a GoPro camera to him and videod the underside of the Vanagon, and he managed to sneak off under a fence and was brought back by guys in fatigues with automatic weapons and smiles. Finally, we let him make a video as he swam off into his perfect pond with my son chasing him with the GoPro on a branch swimming behind. So, all manner of things will pop up if you prime the pump.

But avoid the mosquitos if you can. We are fortunate up here. So few mosquitos that I painted the house 15 years ago and never reinstalled the screens. Makes camping and hiking that much better.

FInally, do a video starring your kids and post it here on Samba. I am a complete and total sucker for videos with Vans and kids.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: