Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'40 Kubelwagen
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: '40 Kubelwagen Reply with quote

Here's my Kubel, '40 KDF chassis w/'44 body
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Kubel Nick on Fri May 06, 2005 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
veedubgirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, why don't you restore that thing? My husband would go ape $hiz over that thing.
J
Living is driving a vintage VW!
I love my LULU the '59 beetle
and former owner of a
1963 beetle
1966 Riviera camper
1960 beetle
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not the easiest cars to just go and restore. You can't place a replacement panel for these. I don't like over-restored Kubels myself though where most panels are repro replacements and such so it maybe customized instead and have fun with it.

It maybe up for sale, not serious about letting it go so not pro-active searching for a buyer that but if someone offers me reasonable offer I'm willing to listen.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick- anymore updates on your oval? I personally would slam that Kubel.. Shocked Wink
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my potential plan for it, but it won't be touched anytime soon, too busy with the oval. I won't be using the KDF chassis, I don't want to slam one of those so will be swapped before that happens.

I'll post an update on the oval thread. Chassis almost done, body is almost ready to be put back on (hopefully).

Last edited by Kubel Nick on Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Uniballer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have to get my 2 cents in here. This kubel isnt a "thing" its not a super, and it isnt a baywindow bus. Its a KUBEL, dude these things are way to rare to goober up. Yea it might look cool but your talking about altering a historic veicle. If you don't want to spend the time sweat and money to restore this Kubel back to its wartime condition, then please pass it on to someone who can and will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you won't like what I'm doing to my Oval Wink The mods would be reversible anyways so what's the harm? To a pure collector, my Kubel wouldn't be too collectible because it's not 100% original. If you don't like it, buy the car from me and restore it yourself the way you'd like to see it restored. There's dozens and dozens of fully restored Kubels out there for the historians to enjoy.

Would you rather see a full custom drag Hebmueller that's being pampered by it's builder or the same Heb rotting away in a guy's back yard. It won't be the end of the world. Life's short, have fun with your hobby Idea
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-MEN.

Don't criticize someone's project. It's his vehicle. This same argument was played out in the old forums regarding someone and his Karmann Ghia.,
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: stop it uniballer, stop it right NOW!!! Reply with quote

Uni!!!
Leave it man, this is the next and one of the coolest things to come along in the VW world in a long time. I don't even buy hot VW's anymore, because I swore that the same cars were painted a different color and rerun every few months. SAMO SAMO O' Rama..
I absolutly love the new VW chopped stretched vintage rods with old ford wheels and low lights.
let it happen.............................................................................
Do it nick, do it hart till you drop dead in the driveway.
Brian :scrambleup:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Uniballer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a not so rare VW, cool custom the hell out of it. But this is a piece of WW2 history. Some of you guys may not agree. I collect WW2 firearms and I almost cry when I see a Mauser that has been sporterised by some goober that wants something custom. dont destroy history. Save it for non historical items because there are people like me out there that will give their last remaining testical for pieces of WW2 history Wink

P.S. dont get me wrong Im not trying to dog on you, I do admit your plans look pretty cool. But couldent you do the same this with a Thing?
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of agree with you, leave some historic stuff alone. I know most people will be against me and stuff, that's fine. Was just making my point of view as well, not forcing it on anyone. I respect other people opinions. But alos like I said, it won't be touched for awhile, will be driven but not modifued for awhile.
joey-bugnaked.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick is at our meets almost every sunday and we always try to talk him out of the kubel-kustom. he's a bit stubborn but we are working on him Laughing
Uniballer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude if I was on the east coast Id find a thing and trade you it for that kubel. Id kill for a nice restored WW2 kubel
der winkermeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kubel!

It`s already got the "battle" patina, "over restored" Kubel`s are a bore, and just bullshit, so very few made it back from the battlefield unscarred..............I think if you give it that 1945 look, end of war feel, with just original paint scheme, and some repop WH plates, I think you`ll have alot of fun with it...............

I`m sure that if the volks that cut up that Swedish Heb and put in the FORD 428 for racing had known the future $ potential I think they would have rather used a Volvo.

There`s some serious MILITARY collectors out there both East and West coast that would pay well for Kubel, and well if your`s is the "early" dash 40' even if it has a newer body, if it`s got the old dash, it`s quite collectible.

What`s the Kubel missing, in as of major parts? I know a few fantastic sources in Europe for Kubel parts. (all private)

Der Winkermeister

Vintage Square Window Owners Society 1958-61 VSWS
President
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough one! I think it's your's and you suould slam it! I also think it's your's and I should bitch slap you and take it away, So you won't hurt it! Very Happy

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubel Nick!
I've seen these rides over in Europe and they are basically in the same condition like yours. Just drive it and SLAM THAT MUG!

Regards,
The MOB!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Happiness is ....................... a street scrapping BARNDOOR!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates or new Pics?

The thread is so old the pics aren't there anymore Sad

*October '54 Ragtop
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated the picts, no real update ont he porject yet though
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it, slam it, drive it as-is, whatever....just please PUT IT INDOORS!!! I'm in so cal and if it were mine it would be in my living room!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give my left nut to get a Kubel! Would be a blast to patch it back together and drive it. Cool vehicle Nick!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: