Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new to things have a few questions
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
northwesty46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: new to things have a few questions Reply with quote

Hello,
I had a friend call me saying that his uncle has a vw thing and since I love VWs if i want it I can have it for 500 bucks. Question time:
I was told the floors are gone and that under the doors (rocker section)is really rusty do they make replacement sheet metal for that? Is there anything that is a kiss of death that would be not worth the time to fix?
anything else I should look for?
Thanks for your time
Jason
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjrannauro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: new to things have a few questions Reply with quote

northwesty46 wrote:
Hello,
I had a friend call me saying that his uncle has a vw thing and since I love VWs if i want it I can have it for 500 bucks. Question time:
I was told the floors are gone and that under the doors (rocker section)is really rusty do they make replacement sheet metal for that? Is there anything that is a kiss of death that would be not worth the time to fix?
anything else I should look for?
Thanks for your time
Jason
Hi Jason, you can still get the floors and the rocket panels. They are bit expensive. You can get them at The Thing Shop and some other stores like German Motor Works. The floors can be made with a metal sheet if you know a good metal worker. I have a 1977 Thing which I'm restoring, you can have a look in this forum "Johann's Restoration Thing" to have a better idea of what is possible. One thing is sure, having a Thing is priceless, and you'll get a lot of fun.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

price sound rt but you will began multiplying that instantly when it comes to metal work etc. if you can do yourself, great.

the inner and outer rockers are available as well as pans in re-pops. There is a limited amount of NOS but costs out the roof. a lot of folks will piece with salvage metal.

kiss of death.....

how much money and how much time do you have.

I think most here will say save that Thing. sometimes better off getting one in better overall condition.

There are some cross over parts. resources are limited for Thing parts when compared to beetles. you can find any part you need.

you will need to decide what you you want it to look like and how much you want to invest.

at $500, if front end good and original it is worth quite a bit. then if it has original tranny etc, that is worth.

sounds like have value in parts alone.

what else to look for....rust and rot in the body as you have mentioned. That is the biggest culprit in my opinion.

in closing...Go For It

posts some pics if have them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63ziggy wrote:

in closing...Go For It

posts some pics if have them.

Yeah, what Ziggy said!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
northwesty46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys for the help I will post some images when I get out to see it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: