Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Concealed Rust Damage at Rocker and Rear Quarter
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ptomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Concealed Rust Damage at Rocker and Rear Quarter Reply with quote

Hiya! Haven't posted in a while; I use the forums mostly for research. Now I am stuck, and have found some interesting PO repair work. I was finishing up patching rust outs on my Thing when I saw a small hump on the right lower rocker and tapped it with a hammer. A silver-dollar size chunk of bondo, half an inch thick, fell out. Yeesh. I ground and scraped until I found that the damage was all the way to the rear wheel well.
I found an outer rocker panel on sale and had it shipped in. On surgery day, I cut into the rocker with air saw, etc. I found the damage also went up the left quarter at the door. Most of the repair was done with chunks of old real estate signs (I kid you not-see pictures).So there was the crushed original body panel, tacked on real estate sign, and a thick slathering of bondo. I gotta admit, it all was pretty inconspicuous unless you really looked at the details. The parts I think I need that are listed in my parts manual don't appear to be available as nos or repro.I am thinking a left rear quarter clip w/ entire lock pillar and reinforcement would be what I need. Anyone have any thoughts on that plan? Does anyone have such an item? I don't think I need entire quarter, mostly just the pillar.
Question B- The actual rocker panel is solid from center of b-pillar to the front wheel well. Would it be a sketchy repair to just weld in the rear half only, as I have it cut in the pictures? Or should I go ahead and cut out the whole thing since I already have the panel? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
here is the sign metal
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picture after patch removal-before clean-up

..after clean-up

here is patch behind front wheel (not related,just pleased w/)

inside of same patch ( a little blurry)
[/img]
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always of the opinion you should preserve as much of the original metal as you can.

If you are sure the rest of that rocker ios solid I think its OK to patch if you have the skills to do it right.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct save as much of the orignal panel as possible . Mine was worse than that i used pieces of an old body and some new steel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Concealed Rust Damage at Rocker and Rear Quarter Reply with quote

Ptomas wrote:

Question B- The actual rocker panel is solid from center of b-pillar to the front wheel well. Would it be a sketchy repair to just weld in the rear half only, as I have it cut in the pictures? Or should I go ahead and cut out the whole thing since I already have the panel? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I did just the rear half of mine, a very similar repair to yours. As long as you do it right, there's no need to rip out the entire rocker. You can check out page 4 of my thread for pics of mine (damaged pics are on page 3).

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: