Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to this whole VW thing... going to be starting my 62...
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vegas62bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: New to this whole VW thing... going to be starting my 62... Reply with quote

So I've towed this car to three different houses now...
It's been in my way for the last 10 years...

I guess it might be time to do something with it...

(other than store my crap inside and on top)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm not really "VW guy" but I am a car/truck guy.. so maybe this bug will grow on me.. I ended up with it because it is my father first car. he got it when he was 15, he drove it for a few years. Then it was my uncle first car.. then t sat for about 15 years, then I got it and it sat for another 10...

I yanked out the vent windows and had the door handels shaved before the body work was done (10 years ago)

plans... still up in the air.. I'm thinking.. new everything... lol

I want to make it the little VW version of my chevy...

which started out a year ago like this:

My first line of questions:

Who make a good wiring kit? (12V)
At what size rims do I need to narrow my beam? (15-16inch rims)
Whos got a good front and back brake kit? (disk)
Whos got a good suspension kit? (not sure if a want to go spring or air yet)

thanks for looking and any input... let the fun begin...
2010 Ford Fusion - rims/system 27MPG
Hugo Stiglitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug looks like it's in good shape. Looks like it was originally diamond green (judging by the color on the dash) - It's you're car, but I'm a big fan of some of the stock VW colors. Diamond green being one of them Very Happy

I dig what you've done with the truck. Keep in mind that a VW is a completely different animal compared to Chevy/Ford. You'll get mixed responses here on the samba about what you should do and how you should do it, but keep in mind that it's your car.

1. Wiring - make your own loom if you've got the aptitude. Otherwise Wolfsburg West has a good reproduction kit in the stock style. Watson's wiring works has one with the updated ATM style fuses.
2. Narrowed beam - this is really up to your discretion. Depends on tire size, rim size and backspacing. Lots of guys will run a narrowed beam with stock smoothie rims and stock tire size because they like the look. 17's will definitely need a narrowed beam though.
3. CB Performance has a great disc brake kit.
4. Good Suspension? - Depends on what you plan on doing and how deep your pockets are. You could go with a fully independent Mendeola chassis, or a more simpler narrowed beam and notched spring plates. You'll have to clarify more on what you're looking to do with the car. Daily driver? Do you want it low and slow? Cal Look? Ricky Racer?

Good luck and have fun!

Jay Leno's Garage

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o]
Vegas62bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Bug looks like it's in good shape. Looks like it was originally diamond green (judging by the color on the dash) - It's you're car, but I'm a big fan of some of the stock VW colors. Diamond green being one of them Very Happy

I dig what you've done with the truck. Keep in mind that a VW is a completely different animal compared to Chevy/Ford. You'll get mixed responses here on the samba about what you should do and how you should do it, but keep in mind that it's your car.

1. Wiring - make your own loom if you've got the aptitude. Otherwise Wolfsburg West has a good reproduction kit in the stock style. Watson's wiring works has one with the updated ATM style fuses.
2. Narrowed beam - this is really up to your discretion. Depends on tire size, rim size and backspacing. Lots of guys will run a narrowed beam with stock smoothie rims and stock tire size because they like the look. 17's will definitely need a narrowed beam though.
3. CB Performance has a great disc brake kit.
4. Good Suspension? - Depends on what you plan on doing and how deep your pockets are. You could go with a fully independent Mendeola chassis, or a more simpler narrowed beam and notched spring plates. You'll have to clarify more on what you're looking to do with the car. Daily driver? Do you want it low and slow? Cal Look? Ricky Racer?

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the input.. it started life off white, then went green.. it will end up being black or a dark grey..

I'm going to look into the products you listed.. as far as suspension.. I'm not going to drive it much but don't want it to throw in crap parts.. if I could end this build at or under 15k.. I'd be happy... (I said 20k on my chevy and that didn't happen)

I'll go with low and zippy... lol...

I'm still in the planing stages.. you have giving some things to look into.. thanks...
Hugo Stiglitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you'll need to get an adjustable beam if you're going with static suspension. If you want air-ride, that opens up another realm of possibilities.

Here are a few names you can search for. They all have different methods on how to obtain the dropped look.

Kustom Coach Werks
Airkewld
JerFab
CB Performance

Jay Leno's Garage

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o]
skabonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I am starting to plan a car, I play with this to give me an idea of what I want: http://shop.volkswarenhaus.de/media/content/bugselecta.htm

Like he said above, bugs are a whole nother monster. Looks like you do quality work so that is definitely a good start, I've seen too much crap done to these cars, its not even funny. I'm sorry to say it, but these cars have a tendancy to attract cheap ass hacks. There is a reason our abortion is so long.

I'd say keep it basically stock, other than lowering it, and it will be awesome. Good luck

'68 Beetle "Sadie" (R.I.P.)
'67 Beetle "Ilsa"
'06 Gti "Heidi"
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black is nice but hard to keep clean...look in the technical area for the colours for that year...me basically stock as much as all possible...that keeps the resale market quite wide. Ah that car is part of the family also.
Check out the local VW scene as well for what works and what does not in person.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Vegas62bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the info guys... that link is pretty cool...

I'd want different rims... tinted windows and a few other tweeks..

I'll check out the Compays listed.. I've looked at a few already.

As far as stock or resale value.. I don't care too much.. I know the pure car/truck guys like to keep things like they came.. I like things the way I like them. I mean I wouldn't cut up a 250K car with matching numbers.. but nothing I have is in that bracket..

So I might as well make it mine, I don't plan on parting with anything I but that much work in.. that's my kids job.. and I dont care what kind of return they get on my money! lol...

Your right about black paint though.. it is very hard to keep clean, but to me looks the best clean..

Again THANKS for all the input guys I learned a few builds ago, that message forums are the way to go.. better to pick everyone brain than pay to two it twice.. or three times.. or four... or.....
Vegas62bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after a full day spent on google image... I'm really starting to dig these rat/hot rod looking bugs...

pdivizzle0112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please dont turn your 62 into a volksrod, i mean, its your car and all, but id only turn a beat up old veedub into one of those. yours seems solid enough to bring back to a nice full body car
skabonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdivizzle0112 wrote:
please dont turn your 62 into a volksrod, i mean, its your car and all, but id only turn a beat up old veedub into one of those. yours seems solid enough to bring back to a nice full body car

Agreed

'68 Beetle "Sadie" (R.I.P.)
'67 Beetle "Ilsa"
'06 Gti "Heidi"
Vegas62bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where you guys are coming from, but the reason will never see eye to eye on this is, I'm not a VW guy...

I wouldn't have one if it wasn't the car my old man had as a kid. The biggest reason it has sat for so long is I'm just not into bugs.. The thought of dumping 15-20K and still just not digging it sucked..

But I do want to do something with it, since looking into these volksrods I'm kinda into the idea of fixing it up...

So I apologize now to the VW purests, lol....

But the idea of having my old mans car and liking it has won... bring on the little black mean looking rod thingie...
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when you eff up and hack the front at rear clips off and toss the fenders... Save them for one of us so we can properly repair one of he many hacks that already exist. You should be able to sell those clips and fenders over in the samba classifieds. It's your car, do what you want... Just save those parts for us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask me, it's too rare and too nice to cut. There's cut cars for sale all day long and not many want them.
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vegas62bug wrote:
I see where you guys are coming from, but the reason will never see eye to eye on this is, I'm not a VW guy...

I wouldn't have one if it wasn't the car my old man had as a kid. The biggest reason it has sat for so long is I'm just not into bugs.. The thought of dumping 15-20K and still just not digging it sucked..

But I do want to do something with it, since looking into these volksrods I'm kinda into the idea of fixing it up...

So I apologize now to the VW purests, lol....

But the idea of having my old mans car and liking it has won... bring on the little black mean looking rod thingie...

Dude. If you're not a Volkswagen guy, why have one at all? I understand it was your dad's but why not sell it so you can go buy another 70's Chevy pickup? And if you're into keeping it because of the sentimental value, why abortionize it? Here's yet again another idea, sell the '62 to someone that'll love it and keep it in one piece and take the money and go buy a '71 beetle and have a hey-day hackin' it up!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: