Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question for the Patina Gods......
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocOctane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Question for the Patina Gods...... Reply with quote

Ok so I've read just about every "How To" on the Samba I promise. I still have a few unanswered questions. Hopefully I didn't miss something in my reading and I'm not wasting anyone's time.

So let's say you want to preserve OG paint & patina but some of the rust spots are thick and "clumpy" (for lack of a better term). To complicate the matter further let's say some of that clumpy rust is on top of some original graphics in spots.

What would be the best technique to get a smoother finish but maintain the patina, graphics, remaining OG paint etc.... maybe to put a clear coat over. Would a super fine paper do the trick without destroying what you are trying to save?

Doc
CanadianBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about water/dry sanding the rust down, without sanding through the surrounding paint?
I've never tried it (most times people want the rust GONE) but I think it would be extremely difficult. Rust is pretty hard stuff, usually tackled with grinders and sandblasters. Fine sandpaper won't touch it.
It would be virtually impossible to not damage the surrounding paint while sanding. Compared to rust, paint is pretty thin and it won't take much to make it disappear.

The rust isn't on top of those graphics, it's through the graphics.

Good luck. If you do try it, post up some pics.
DocOctane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanadianBug wrote:
Are you talking about water/dry sanding the rust down, without sanding through the surrounding paint?
I've never tried it (most times people want the rust GONE) but I think it would be extremely difficult. Rust is pretty hard stuff, usually tackled with grinders and sandblasters. Fine sandpaper won't touch it.
It would be virtually impossible to not damage the surrounding paint while sanding. Compared to rust, paint is pretty thin and it won't take much to make it disappear.

The rust isn't on top of those graphics, it's through the graphics.

Good luck. If you do try it, post up some pics.

Well most of the rust is just sort of a surface"burned" looking rust. I was just curious if there was a finishing technique that would knock down the cakie looking rust without stripping. There's plenty of rides on this site rocking the rusted look and some have even cleared over it.
volksgroove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my advise?... don't clear it... use linseed oil to brighten the rust up... at some point the clear will fail, as it's not designed to stick to rust... possibly a clear epoxy will, but I haven't used one yet...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

our 56 oval rag top... OG black with perfect patina

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I haven't used the linseed oil yet, but I intend to... to be fair, though... we just saw a car that Jer*Fab in Cali built that was cleared-over patina... it's a gorgeous car... just depends on your taste...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragtopbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe CLR it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=692073&d=1296565754
BXRJIM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.....if you want to knock down the cakie rust, I would use a 4 1/2' grinder with a wire wheel. Knock the loose stuff off and if you hit paint and make a ledge use sand paper to blend the area into a smooth transition with the rusty patch. If you go too deep for your liking knocking down the rust, the eliments will bring it back.

Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: